It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Requesting prayers after something bad happens.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I get that people suffer and I do have empathy for that. Buuuuuuuut I've always wanted to rant and I like the icon for the forum.

I have an old schoolmate that posts Facebook with a constant stream of Christian praise and personal stories of their daily adventures of living "the word". I just read it and think "good for him".

I think it's meant to be inspirational or to guilt people into church. That doesn't bother me either. Live and let live as long as it doesn't interfere with my freedom --or what's left of it.

So he pops up a few days ago and posts something along the lines of... Hey everyone! I just learned my wife and kids were in some kind of traffic accident! I don't know the details yet but I need everyone to stop what you are doing and pray on it now!

The first thing I think is he wasn't praying hard enough or in the right way before the bad event so how could praying now help resolve the problem?

I wanted to extend a personal apology for the ineffectiveness of my prayers that nothing would happen to my friends in the first place. Finally, that my prayers are likely faulty, and are of no use to him so I don't want to "pollute the well".

I can't do that though. Even though he is a Christian and I am a born again atheist, we agree on so many things. There are at least 500 religions we both agree are dead wrong and a waste of time. We just disagree on the correctness of one single religion. So I will shut up and write a rant instead.

edit on 11-3-2014 by InverseLookingGlass because: english syntax

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by InverseLookingGlass

I like your rant .Many times I have found myself between a rock and a hard place and could only groan within myself as to what to pray .@ days ago a 10 year old dropped dead at the front door of his home .Talk about a narrow band with in which to pray . sometimes I guess there are way too many options to consider ...peace

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Hahaha. I love your opening.

I wonder if most of us don't feel that our prayers go unheard. I do not waste pleas on people who have their own things to work out. However as time passes, I do bombard heaven with a fervent plea to protect the innocence of even one child.

link   
If prayers really worked there would be no suffering in the world, and no car accidents!

Our world is FULL of horrors such as Torture - Rape - Murder - GENOCIDE etc etc etc, and prayer hasn't stopped one of them, not one!

What a waste of time they are, whoever thought up that little trick must still be rolling in his grave.

link   

connections between the mind and the body, some scientists have found that a person's faith can help him or her live a longer, healthier life Prayer may lower blood pressure and heart rate, both of which can contribute to a more virile immune system

From Berkley

Your friends spiritually is a big part of his life. But it doesn't have to be yours.
It doesn't matter if your ""Christian"" or not--- just passing along you thoughts and well wishes is more than enough.
"Sorry to hear about your wife and kid..."
It's not so much about the prayer part as much as--- this is your friend and when a friend is down we offer a shoulder to lean on. Looking out for one another, that's what's really important.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Instead of saying "I'll pray for your situation' ... you can offer something like - 'you are in my thoughts and I hope the best for you'. I'm sure it'll be appreciated and you don't have to compromise your beliefs.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Live and let live as long as it doesn't interfere with my freedom.

Certainly a simple facebook post wouldn't initiate a rant. Unless you feel it is interfering with freedom of course.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 12:56 PM
link   

It annoys me too but mostly because of the people who are so quick to say "my heart and prayers (or thoughts) are with you" and other cliche responses and requests. It's become an automatic response to tragedy like saying "bless you" after a sneeze; it loses its meaning a bit.

However, I normally do something on my end because I think it does make a difference. Even an atheist like yourself has to see some validity in the countless tests and observations that thinking patterns (no matter if in the form of prayer, ritual, or meditation) has on reality.

So don't worry about "polluting the well" since your intentions don't really care if the person you are trying to help is a Christian or Buddhist or whatever. The spirit knows the languages of all faiths (or even lack of) and can be affected by all avenues of blessings.

But yeah... the whole reactive prayer warrior attitude does get old really quick.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 02:06 PM
link   
You know, even if you don't think it does anything in terms of spiritual karma of any kind. This person you claim is your friend is obviously distraught ... who wouldn't be if they just found out their wife and kid was in a car wreck and knew not much more?

Heck, I was just three hours delayed getting home because of a snow storm on night, and my husband had called everyone he could think of, made a distraught post on Facebook, and was about to call the highway patrol because he couldn't come looking for me because he had our 11-month-old with him and couldn't risk him. When I walked through the door, he was climbing the walls!

As irritated as you may be by it, if this is your friend, shouldn't you offer some support in a his time of need?

As others have said, even just letting him know that your thoughts are with him is something, however small it seems. It's a comfort to people to know they aren't alone.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 02:42 PM
link   
First off if my family was in an accident I wouldnt jump on facebook. But I do have a fb friend that throws prayers out every day.

Maybe instead of praying to god you could check their voting record and find they voted to cut EMS services???

The most devout Christian I ever met would tell you without suffering there is no joy.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Thanks to those that read my rant and offered responses. I can actually offer some closure on the issue. A few hours later, the friend posted on Facebook that "everyone is OK, thanks so much for the prayers!"

I'll at least entertain the possibility that my shutting up helped the situation in some small way. I do what I can.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 10:04 PM
link   
All powerful creators. who are wise and loving and perfect.
require acknowledgment.

then they shall grant thee wishes when your faith points are strong enoug!

top topics

join