It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blogs getting sued

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 12:28 PM
link   
There was a post recently on this, but i can't find it. It appears blogs that disagree with the right and industry are under legal attack to intimidate them into silence.

A good example of this is on the Argonist
scoop.agonist.org...

This technique of the SLAPP or Strategic Lawsuits against Public Participation is used to silence dissent on the internet. Its something that will become increasingly common as a way to force people to not address contentious issues.

Welcome to big brother again...

(anyone got a link to the first post on this topic?)

[edit on 24-11-2004 by Netchicken]

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Is this it??

www.juancole.com...

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 09:13 PM
link   
A troubling development.

Money being used to limit free speech.

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Slank says,

A troubling development. Money being used to limit free speech.
Umm have you seen the new restrictions on speech/expression and the first restricting and now wacking of the former mudpit here on ATS?

As private $$$ pays for this site, they have the rights to restrict things as they like...do I like it? NO, but private communication meathods can be manipulated how those paying the bill like.

It only makes sense that some private firm could threaten litigation over anything, including an issue of speech if its getting close to copyright, slander or lible situations.

It doesnt mean they will win, but people can try to sue over anything.

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 02:40 AM
link   
If you want a classic example of SLAPPs beig used as a method of public relations, try Scientology. They almost certainly hold the record for that kind of conduct.

During the '90s, the Church of Scientology filed so many of these lawsuits (ostensibly to protect copyrighted material, meaning anything mentioning Scientology) against the ISP I worked at and its customers that it was directly responsible for the formation and employment of our legal department. We had almost no other legal trouble except for Scientology suits.

It's just another form of warfare that is about half a step away from violent coercion, such as smashing printing presses.

Disclaimer: This post does not contain any material copyrighted by the Church of Scientology, its assigns or heirs, and is presented for entertainment value only. The opinions expressed herein do not reflect those of AboveTopSecret.com or its affiliates, nor those of the author or anyone associated with the author, the author's Internet Service Provider, Internet bandwidth provider, common carriers or the government of Micronesia. The author does not assert or maintain that any of the content provided in this post is based upon doctrine, dogma or practice of the Church of Scientology or its legal division, and that all statements are anecdotal and may contain errors or omissions. By reading this post, you agree to hold the author and all parties enumerated in this disclaimer harmless from prosecution and waive all rights and remedies provided by law. Additional conditions and restrictions may apply, see dealer for details.

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 04:38 AM
link   
I don't think there is anything new here. If bloggers want respect, they're going to have to adhere to some ethical code or pay the consequences. Libel is libel.

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 04:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
I don't think there is anything new here. If bloggers want respect, they're going to have to adhere to some ethical code or pay the consequences. Libel is libel.

Umm did you read the link? Here are the charges made by the Isreali Spook.

Colonel Carmon's letter makes three charges: 1) that I alleged that MEMRI receives $60 million a year for its operations. 2) That I alleged that MEMRI cherry-picks the vast Arab press for articles that make the Arabs look bad. 3) That I said that MEMRI was affiliated with the Likud Party.

and here is the reply

1) I am glad to publish the annual funding of MEMRI, and its sources, as provided by Colonel Carmon, if he will tell us what the figure is, which he has not. As a historian, I have no desire to have anything but the facts in evidence. MEMRI obviously a well-funded operation, as any familiarity with its scope and activities would make clear. In the meantime, I am glad to acknowledge that the figure I gave has been disputed by Colonel Carmon. I think he would find that in democratic countries, in any case, a dispute over an organization's level of funding would be laughed out of court as a basis for a libel action. In fact, I am giggling as I write this.

2) I continue to maintain that MEMRI is selective and biased against the Arab press, and that it highlights pieces that cast Arabs, especially committed Muslims, in a negative light. That it also rewards secular Arabs for being secularists is entirely beside the point (and this is the function of the "reform" site). On more than one occasion I have seen, say, a bigotted Arabic article translated by MEMRI and when I went to the source on the Web, found that it was on the same op-ed page with other, moderate articles arguing for tolerance. These latter were not translated.

3) I did not allege that MEMRI or Colonel Carmon are "affiliated" with the Likud Party. What I said was that MEMRI functions as a PR campaign for Likud Party goals. Colonel Carmon and Meyrav Wurmser, who run MEMRI, were both die-hard opponents of the Oslo peace process, and so ipso facto were identified with the Likud rejectionists on that central issue.

Free speech is free speech any way you look at this, the Blogger should not be sued in court. How would you like it if say the MEMRI threatened legal action against ATS? ATS is a website that makes money off of "conspiritorial" news, that may or may not be true. If we stop doing that for fear of being sued then ATS wouldn't be ATS....:down:

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 04:56 AM
link   
I read it. I just think that sooner or later it was bound to happen that people were going to start paying attention to bloggers and that's a good thing for everyone, but since anyone can have a blog, there are those who don't excercize good judgement and they should expect to pay the consequences.

I have seen this done on other boards and usually it is because someone has really stepped beyond the bounds of opinion and have made specific allegations or as one person pointed out, posting copyrighted material.

When you post to the internet, it goes everywhere and crazy names or not, you really are not anonymous.

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 05:03 AM
link   
was this the one???

posted on 23-11-2004 at 06:31 Post Number: 979128 (post id: 999822)

It is a worrying thought...

new topics

top topics

join