It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nancy Grace Loses Bid to Toss Defamation Claim

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Uh Oh... It sounds like Nancy Grace is going to face a court assisted lesson in the difference between fact, assumption and wild guessing on air (or worse), to millions who take those words as something like factual.

A cousin of the Kennedy family can proceed with his claim that Nancy Grace defamed him by falsely claiming his sperm had been found at the scene of the 1975 murder for which he was convicted.

Personally, she turned me off clear back with Aruba and the Casey Anthony obsession she was fixated on for so long ended anything I ever had for respect in terms of Mrs. Grace. However, that doesn't make actionable civil cases. Defamation sure does though, and as rare as it is to see a major media figure hit this way, it's remarkable for that in itself.

So what precisely got her jammed up? Well.....one must operate in good faith when acting in her capacity, I believe. The Judge also seemed to agree here. Good Faith is what matters.

Karas allegedly replied, "Well, his DNA was found yes" and then specified "up in the tree."

Skakel claimed Grace responded: "Beth, I love the way you put it so delicately, 'his DNA,' you know, it was sperm, there I said it, so he places himself there up in a tree masturbating looking down at her window, and whoa she turns up dead within a couple of hours."

"When Grace states 'it was sperm,' Karas utters the words 'correct,' before Grace's statement ... is completed," Skakel claimed.

That would have passed like countless other utterances on air where knowledge and fact is secondary to ratings and verbal bling for the viewers...except...she knew better. That's the catch.

"The plaintiff has met the first element of a prima facie case of defamation because the complaint plainly alleges that Karas's and Grace's statements were not only substantially false, they were literally false," Bryant wrote.

"Despite allegedly knowing that no DNA evidence linked Skakel to Martha Moxley's murder, and despite that Skakel's DNA was allegedly not found anywhere on the victim's body or clothing or at the scene of the crime, Karas and Grace published a statement to a wide audience that the plaintiff's DNA in the form of sperm was found in a tree outside of Martha Moxley's window," Bryant explained.
Source: Courthouse News

Let that be a lesson in the basic concept of truth. It doesn't all have to be true, of course, and much we see in MSM is flat out untrue. However...the person saying it cannot KNOW THAT AS FACT as they are saying the untruth, is where this goes IMO.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Let's hope this is the death bed for her TV shows. Her & Piers would make a great couple....now if we can find a country that will take them both and promise to keep them, we would be all smiles.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 11:34 AM
link   
I think Nancy Grace most times speaks out of her arse, and puts her own emotions and spin on cases, always anti-perp before hearing all the facts. This is because she was a victim. I personally can't stand her. That being said, all arrows point to Skakel as murdering Martha Moxley and he is scum, but because of being a Kennedy, is getting away with murder.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I have tried to watch the show, but it's like fingernails on a chalk board to me. And she is sooo opinionated that the facts of a case got lost in her opinions. So ... after 3 or 4 tries at watching ... I gave up. She's too intense ..

ETA .. Skakel ... guilty guilty guilty IMHO.
edit on 3/11/2014 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Nancy Disgrace is just that .. a disgrace... I found watching her or even listening to her attacks and dribble was nothing more than a psy-op. I see her as part of the cause to "militarize police" in the USA. ........ problem, reaction, solution ........ police state legitimized and reinforced by a compliant media and a constant drumming of these types of TV shows .....

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Why would she say that? If she knew it wasn't true?
It doesnt really make sense.
Claim mr. X was in the tree rubbing one off?
Pay the claim and get ratings back?

I am no fan fan of anybody...except springsteen and a couple folk here,

so did she have inside information or just use the lawsuit to gain noteriety? it is a kennedy

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Nancy Grace is a wiener. I can't believe people watch her. Must be the low IQ set.

top topics

join