It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are there so many rude people on ATS these days?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 01:16 AM
link   

shockedonlooker
One thing I noticed when thinking about ATS is that many more here have the "fed up" attitude, and in my humble opinion it seems like it started around the time of the bank bailouts in 2008 and continued through the Obammy elections up until now. I bet if the membership were surveyed it would be found that a lot of our lives have changed with just those couple of events happening, not to mention illnesses, aging, worrying/changes with familes etc.

Personally, I have had quite a few emotional losses and medical issues over the past few years. None of them financial really, except the expected inflation and whatnot. For me, almost all of those losses seemed to begin in 2008.

I agree, its somewhere around that time, when the massive influx of users and ATS suddenly get lots of attention. I think it was around that time that I encounter some people who dont understand what the term "sheeple" referring to. Anyway, this was mentioned few times already about the different users behavior. At that time I dont feel that difference but now, I think can I can safely say ATS has gone from "conspiracy theory website" to "common forum".

Have a look at new topic, barely pass for conspiracy website title, either rehash the MSM news or other common topic. Notice, its real time, not any specific timeframe, I even dare to do that, cause - User change, ATS change, we are expected to change too, have to be patience with it.

We have new flock of sheep to manage/brainwash
Fire up those old 911 data, rehash and get free SnF and become a hero.
O yeah, make sure Phage isnt around

edit on 11-3-2014 by NullVoid because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by darkbake

In fact -

The Koch Brothers might be the real reason that people on ATS are less informed, and that, in turn, might be leading to them being rude.

Oh my gosh darkbake, I can't believe you just said that. But... I like you and enjoy your posts so:
    If you like your ideology you can keep your ideology."

I will respectfully defend your right to this position to the death even if I disagree.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Everyone is afraid and they don't know about what. Everyone's on the edge of something, but they don't know what it is. As the illusions that we've created fall away, and reality pushes through, people can no longer deny it. As people understand more about how this world works, who makes it work, and why they make it work how it does, their minds cramp as they cannot believe that there are people who don't give a damn about other people.

Those are the people I feel sorry for now. The greedy, the power hungry, the money addicted. Not only do they not care about their fellow humans, but could care less for plants and animals as well. I can only imagine the depths of self-loathing that they must constantly and vigilantly deny in order to continue doing as they do.

The little people of this world are going to come together in a very big way, but only when they're pushed hard enough. It should be soon, and all this little petty anger that we small people show each other on a daily basis in the form of disrespect and wrath will be turned on the hands that have been feeding us # for decades.

All this not-niceness is becoming more and more prevalent and visible. It's adding up to something.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 02:42 AM
link   
LMAO!

I don't lose sleep or get annoyed over this, just something I pointed out. Forgot I had posted this to see it on the front page lol.
I have been online same amount as most, about 20 years and yeah people and times change, the dynamics of a site change also.
As many said "Are people coming here to cause arguments" Maybe? I don't know.

Being Scottish (I am sure there are more of my kind here, lol) we kinda don't take life or ourselves too serious.
Again just a post that I did after observing things over the last few years. It is not a case of people saying I am right or wrong it is the inability to debate that kinda just swung me. There was a time on here (AND THIS IS THE MOST AWESOME PLACE ON THE INTERNET!) when people debated and were polite. Now on most posts I see "Comment Removed" 100 times.

People are just rude.

And to the person who told me to relax, I couldn't relax any more if I tried

Sometimes when reading a post it can be hard to tell if a person is being mean or stupid or honest.
I am totally relaxed, it is the internet and when anyone gets to the stage where they turn off the PC/Laptop and take anything to bed with them, it's time to give it a rest

Thankfully I am not at that stage nor will I ever be. I just wanted to remark on how much this good 'ol place has changed in 10 years.

Still my 1st post of call when I come online on any device.
Just wish people (Some) would debate and not take things to heart like kids

Some good honest replies and I am away to go catch myself a Haggis for breakfast and let the sheep out

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 04:48 AM
link   
reply to post by shauny

Dont worry about it. Most of them are paid or are computer generated replies

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Afternoon shauny, I wanted to reply last night, but my hands had a mind of their own, and I give up!!. You're 100% right, and im sure a lot of other members agree. People seem to be searching the posts just to find an argument or someone to insult, in my mind, if you dont agree with someone's point of view, respectively tell them why, them move on, if you feel strongly that your point of view is valid, start your own thread. I know other people who have left this site because of insults, and other members actively looking for their threads just to try and make their lives a misery.
Good for you for speaking out....you beat me to it!!
All the best.
B.V.H

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 09:32 AM
link   
I think many people have build tough defenses to comments on the internet which has invited the increase in stronger personal attacks, sarcasm and "rudeness".

Perhaps your are not toughing up as fast as everyone is getting generally more rude?

Just throwing it out there for the sake of discussion.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by shauny

Ditto on a lot of your points, from another 10-year veteran. You are NOT imagining things - the level of conversation on ATS used to be vastly superior. ...Part of the problem is texting and that 140 character limit. Another problem dates back to the authoritarian bullying culture that emerged around 2005(?) and got entrenched by 2008 or so. Kind of a predictable social experiment really - control and limit participation points, give 'sheriff-class' unbridled authority over participants, train participants to the whip and watch them leave or get stupid. It's happened before; it will happen again.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   

shauny
But when I say better I contradict myself as it's one of the best places online. It's just these whiners and moaners.

edit on 10/3/2014 by shauny because: (no reason given)

edit on 3/10/2014 by kosmicjack because: removed specific member names

Is it the whiners and moaners that you dislike ?
As on ATS you have shills, agents of darkness, people who write as if they think their opinion is sacred and when others think its not they say anything to defend their big egos, people with grudges against members based on a different opinion,so many angry and fearful people .
[I would say ATS may make it a little worse by feeding the ego with stars " as a member you are a conditioned child that will get a star - and we will rate and judge you based on your words" ]

If you wonder why people are fighting more and are in showing less self control and more abusive insults its because they have completely identified themselves with their opinion and loosing an argument is to them like death as the opinion is thought by their ego to be them. So its gotten messy and chaotic with this " I am my ego mind ' ( the belief that an opinion is "me" and so they will fight to prevent their imagined "death") .

So since that is what we are dealing with isn't it best to set and example if you cannot force a change on these egocentric people?

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Biigs
I think many people have build tough defenses to comments on the internet which has invited the increase in stronger personal attacks, sarcasm and "rudeness".

Well thanks a lot for your input!!!! Your opinion really means a lot to us; keep up the good work!!!

I'm sorry as a card carrying charter member of A.S.S. [American sarcasm society]i just couldn't help myself! It's a powerful addiction and I know that rehab is in my near future. Please pray for me thru this sad time in my life.

I being serious now, really I am! I love ya bro!!

This is just my feeble attempt at humor. And I do know that sarcasm is the lowest form of humor but properly presented it might lighten up a serious moment. That was my intention here.

edit on 11-3-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by shauny

Its simple really. And it falls under the common saying "build it and they will come" addage. Only, in this case...give the masses a place to say what they want and how they want to say it...and they will.

I will add there are more angry folks here than when I joined...and serious "doubters" in even more serious topics than ever before.

ATS has a lot of "Oh YEAH's???? I dont believe in.....(fill in the blanks)". This is seemingly becoming a place for denial, moreso than when ATS started. Normally, this would be a good thing. But Im not sure now that it is. The scales are over-tipping many times it seems.

Wasnt debate much more friendly in the beginning? And where did all the "naysayers" come from? And all the anger????

edit on 09-22-2013 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 09:29 PM
link   
I learnt a new tactic today when someone is being a douche be really friendly with them, tell them that you will not bite and that it is best just to get along.
I made new pals today on ATS doing that.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 05:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

Thanks

I am pretty open-minded. You like the Koch Brothers? I am open to hearing another opinion. I often sit in the middle of the road
and analyze all kinds of views before coming to any conclusions.
edit on 12amWed, 12 Mar 2014 05:16:06 -0500kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by shauny

Unfortunately, it's a growing trend. Too many people today are getting lazy and bored. A lot are ungrateful for what they have and think everything is owed to them.

On the other hand, there's a growing segment that realize this. That see the good in the changes. A growing appreciation for Mother Earth, and for humanity. They (we) are the spearhead for change. Where/when the two groups meet, conflict is inevitable.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

Simply pointing out that people are getting better at handling internet trolls and general rudeness at the same rate people are getting more aggressive, and normally polite people are having to turn up the attitude to compensate.

You have some serious sarcasm issues there buddy.

edit on b1515938 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 10:13 AM
link   

shockedonlooker
I was never a big poster and was coming here long before I joined. I have my own policy that if I can't be positive or make it plainly clear that my words are dripping with sarcasm, I don't post, hence the low number of posts. Usually someone else might reply with exactly what I wanted to post, so I don't, and I've never created my own thread here.

My story here exactly. Sadly, I see what is happening here on ATS as a microcosm of the real world at large. I'm going to be 50 this year and I cant believe the changes I see taking place in the real world. And the downward societal spiral has exponentially increased over the last few years. Makes me sad, and a little fearful about my 16 year old sons future.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Biigs
reply to post by olaru12

Simply pointing out that people are getting better at handling internet trolls and general rudeness at the same rate people are getting more aggressive, and normally polite people are having to turn up the attitude to compensate.

You have some serious sarcasm issues there buddy.

edit on b1515938 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

I totally agree with your assesment of the current state of rudeness and it does seem to have gotten much worse especially in the political "discussions" but very pervasive thru out the boards and forums. That's why I spend more time in the music and short story sections; there it's very nice.

Sarcasm is the only defense mechanism I have left. I don't want to respond in kind to the trolls. At least sarcasm is more creative and usually goes over the head of aggressive internet fools. Might be time for a break....
edit on 12-3-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Sublimecraft
reply to post by shauny

Why are there so many rude people on ATS these days

1. They do not like being told/shown that they are incorrect on a certain subject and react like a child scorned rather than engage in civil debate.

2. They do not like being told that their political ideology is not accepted and refuse to engage in civil debate.

3. Their parents did not bring them up to respect others' opinions and may be abused as a child and are simply acting in the only way they know how.

4. They have a "holier than thou" attitude and everyone else is less intellectual - this type of member is usually banned and reappears soon thereafter - they stand out in the crowd.

I simply ignore those particular individuals once I have issued a dose of logic which is met with an off-topic rant of a personal nature.

But yeh you totally forgot the long time members with egos who claim they know everything and do nothing more than attack you with their giant over inflated egos

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 08:09 AM
link   
I've been here nearly 5 years and it has always been the same, it goes through its highs and lows, but it's really been very much the same over these years. Every year people rant about the same things, which suggests, things don't change that much.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Interesting thread, s&f op.
Was just discussing this topic with a good friend last night, I do love ATS, and it's usually my second port of call when I go online but the current trend of rudeness and impolite posting means that more often than not now I don't join in with threads that interest me and rarely post. When I do I don't engage in discussion.
Indeed I have written many posts and decided not to hit 'reply'

As some posters have said its a combination of many things and reflects how society has embraced a Twitter style of interaction and dialogue - ie. say it fast, say it quick and express your indignation forcibly if someone offers a different point of view.
Both my transatlantic friend and I hardly ever post anymore and many of the veteran posters whom I respect rarely get involved at the levels they did.
But,
ATS is a living vibrant community and has some wonderful members and the levels of knowledge collectively here is astounding. And like all communities it evolves constantly, sometimes bad neighbours move in and annoy the residents but equilibrium eventually comes.
Yes ATS has changed and will continue to change and evolve, and change can be painful.

Who knows what this place will be like in 2024?

Whatever happens, at its heart ATS has a core of great members and is well moderated so when the rude (rudeness is weakness Imho) get bored and drift away with their personality defining 'attitudes' the hibernating heart of ATS will stretch and awaken again.
If the Govt, aliens, illuminati, asteroids, radiation, emp, cme or simple apathy don't destroy us first obviously.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join