It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oh you're a combat veteran? Sorry we're not hiring.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Stonecutter45

I need to take you out for a beer--- Well I'll buy the first round at least.... Every one knows Vets drink like fishes--- LOL.

Anyway I just wanted to point a simple but sad fact.

The national unemployment average stands at 6.9%
but in a recently released (Feb) stat from the department of Veterans affairs, our unemployment rate is at 9.2%

that disparity in itself is proof there are no meaningful entitlements... if anything it proves this, "we're not hiring vets' trend is growing.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Stonecutter45

the vet supporters here are only claiming basic discrimination as the topic rolled on.
But op expects vets to be given jobs simply because they are vets. that is a handout/entitlement.

I would deny a person a job just because they think they deserve it for x reason over skill/experience/education related to said job.

op is also misleading. not getting hired while also being a person who is a vet isn't the same thing as discrimination.
no one promised the vets they would be taken care of. The vets of the past haven't been well taken care of. no one (new) can claim draft.
so it's just a really bad life decision and career path.
Once again the haves who make good decisions are expected to take care of tbe have nots whom lay in the holes they dug.
let their previous employer who laid them off take responsibility. they put thoughts in their employees heads that they would enter the public work force to open hands.

edited for extreme phone touch pad errors lol
edit on 13-3-2014 by Bisman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 06:27 PM
link   
It's hard to find a job for anybody these days, but I feel the treatment of veterans in the job market is among the most repulsive I've seen. It disgusts me the way people treat those who have sacrificed so greatly to protect an idea or a way of life that sustains their lifestyle, to talk down and snub those who have seen more of the real world than they ever will. The american dream has become a drugged up fantasy, and bringing any slice of what actually goes on in the world back home turns you into a pariah. It guts me to know that there is no home to return to for those who need it most.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 11:07 PM
link   
I am a combat veteran but I've never really had too much trouble finding work. Although I did have to move to a permanent job a few years back because the contract work in my area dried up. Bad economy. It happens.

When I got out of the Navy in 2005, I will admit I was having a bit of trouble adjusting to civilian life. I didn't really know what to do with myself. So I ended up moving to Alaska where I could work remotely without being surrounded by very many people. It did me wonders.

After a couple of years of harsh Alaskan winters, I moved back to the lower 48. Got into contract welding which had me travelling all over the western half of the United States. Having a security clearance and a whole slew of welding and other construction related certifications opened a lot of doors where I could get jobs that many others could not. Like the last gig I did which was at the Umatilla Chemical Weapons Depot.

But eventually the market slowed down. The time between contracts got larger. I got married. So it was time to get a normal job that didn't have me driving across country constantly.

I now work for the Idaho Transportation Department. They do have veterans preference but I was also the most qualified person that applied. So now I have my own shop, steady year-round work and much less travel. I set my own pace (which is fast and efficient), I have plenty of resources at my disposal. It really is the best job I've ever had, even though the pay is half of what I used to make in the contract market.

To sum it up, I had a great resume, plenty of experience and certifications in my field. Being a veteran with a combat action ribbon and some letters of commendation was just a footnote. Although, including those letters of commendation with my resume never hurt my job prospects, so far as I'm aware.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Capslockwarlock69
It's hard to find a job for anybody these days, but I feel the treatment of veterans in the job market is among the most repulsive I've seen. It disgusts me the way people treat those who have sacrificed so greatly to protect an idea or a way of life that sustains their lifestyle, to talk down and snub those who have seen more of the real world than they ever will.

You sounds like a GOARMY commercial.

Please explain how those deployed in the US military's recent missions have "sacrificed so greatly to protect an idea or a way of life that sustains their lifestyle".

Then go ahead and explain how being in the military means you have "seen more of the real world than they ever will".

Hi, I've been to Uganda, Sri Lanka, India, Venezuela, Panama, China, Malaysia, and Egypt. If any of these paid goons knew anything about the REAL WORLD, they wouldn't be wasting their time kicking cans around in Afghanistan or Iraq. There's some reality from the "real world" for you.

The american dream has become a drugged up fantasy

If the drug is SPEED and the american dream is to be the "Hero" in the USAF, then this is true.

--

The OP is nothing more than and example of an entitled coward who brings guns to a knife fight. Do you know most places won't hire males for cashier positions? Where's the outrage? What's the difference? Oh right, no propaganda saying that all males are heroes.

I'm sure it's just a coincidence.
edit on 17-3-2014 by TheRegal because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 07:48 PM
link   

TheRegal

Hi, I've been to Uganda, Sri Lanka, India, Venezuela, Panama, China, Malaysia, and Egypt. If any of these paid goons knew anything about the REAL WORLD, they wouldn't be wasting their time kicking cans around in Afghanistan or Iraq. There's some reality from the "real world" for you.

Hi, many of us paid goons have been to many other places than just Afghanistan or Iraq. But, hey it's not your fault. How would you know?

I, for example, have been to Japan, Russia, South Korea, Iwo Jima, Okinawa, Hawaii, Guam, East Timor, Brunei, Thailand, Malaysia, the Philippines, Fiji, Australia, Indonesia, Singapore, Qatar, Kuwait, Iraq, Hong Kong, Mexico and Canada.

When you are in the military, you don't have a say in where you go, when you go there, or how long you will be staying.
edit on 17-3-2014 by allenidaho because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 08:22 PM
link   

allenidaho

Hi, many of us paid goons have been to many other places than just Afghanistan or Iraq. But, hey it's not your fault. How would you know?

When you are in the military, you don't have a say in where you go, when you go there, or how long you will be staying.
edit on 17-3-2014 by allenidaho because: (no reason given)

You're really just helping one of my points here.

The US military doesnt neccessarily make you "well-cutured". It ships you off to do whatever is on their agenda and you execute the orders. You don't take in the scenery and envelope yourself in the reality of the country. You go there and do the things that they tell you to do, collect your dollars, and go somwhere else. It's not like you sign up with the army and fly to Uganda to dine with the poor and see what their life ails are and help fix them. It's like the government deploys you in X position to execute Y orders and conveniently procures Z resources consistently, yet by mere coincidence of course.

I just get sick of hearing people say that US military personnel are "protecting our rights and freedoms" by being overseas and that they deserve any more respect or admiration than anyone else. I'm sorry, but they don't. That's straight up propaganda. If people didn't swallow the garbage so easily, the US wouldn't own more trade routes and natural resources in other countries than anyone else.

Panama, for example. Why does the US own the Panama Canal and nearly all of their copper mines? Cause of "our heroes".

Guess how much profit the general public in the United States (those who paid for the military efforts in Panama) receive for it? Oh, just Zero.
edit on 17-3-2014 by TheRegal because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRegal

You are delusional.

Let me give you a good example. In 2005, I was sent to Indonesia as a part of the tsunami relief. I was assigned to work with the Indonesian Marines and the Nato World Food Program. We set up a small base of operations in what was formerly considered a middle class town. It was considered to be middle class because a few of the houses used to have electricity.

When we arrived, the town was gone. It had been reduced to a pile of rubble. Most of the town's inhabitants had been swept out to sea. Approximately a quarter of the inhabitants were crushed to death in the rubble. And the only survivors were around 150 people. They only survived because they were the poor who had to live in the hills above the town. Because in Indonesia, being poor makes you an outcast.

Now these were men women and children of all ages. While we were pulling out corpses and stockpiling supplies to ship to other towns that had been decimated or cut off from evacuation, we got to know these people. We shared the same food (mostly rice) and water. We lived together in the same area for months. We got to know some of them. A few could speak passable English.

And then, we had to watch as these survivors got sick and died of malaria one by one.

I had to watch young children die. Teenagers die. Old men and women die. Men and women my age die. I even watched some of the Indonesian Marines die. I buried some of them myself.

But there you are, saying that we don't do such things. You seriously have no idea what you are talking about.

Here, take a look at this photo. Those nice kids on the right are dead now.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by allenidaho

Ah, yes, Indonesia. "Our heroes".

U.S. Uses Tsunami for Military Avantage in Southeast Asia

The tragic and devastating power of 2004’s post holiday tsunami was plastered across the cover of practically every newspaper around the world for the better part of a month. As the death toll rose by the thousands every day, countries struggled to keep pace with the rapidly increasing need for aid across the Indian Ocean Basin.

At the same time that U.S. aid was widely publicized domestically, our coinciding military motives were virtually ignored by the press. While supplying our aid (which when compared proportionately to that of other, less wealthy countries, was an insulting pittance), we simultaneously bolstered military alliances with regional powers in, and began expanding our bases throughout, the Indian Ocean region.

Long viewed as a highly strategic location for U.S. interests, our desire to curtail China’s burgeoning economic and military might is contingent upon our control of this area. In the months following the tsunami, writes Rahul Bedi in The Irish Times, the U.S. revived the Utapao military base in Thailand it had used during the Vietnam War. Task force 536 is to be moved there to establish a forward positioning site for the U.S. Air Force.

The U.S. also stepped up their survey of the Malacca Straits, over which China exercises considerable influence, and through which 90 percent of Japan’s oil supplies pass. The United States has had trouble expanding its military influence in the region largely due to suspicions by Indonesia and Malaysia that the U.S. is disguising imperial aims under the goal of waging war against terror. The two countries have opposed an American plan to tighten security in the vital Malacca Straits shipping lanes, which might have involved U.S. troops stationed nearby.

Annnnd where is the return on my taxdollar investment?

I'm not all that surprised that people in The States won't hire ex-military when the US citizens have already thrown so much money at them and got nothing back for it. Aren't primary investors supposed to profit when they pay for all of the expenses of a corporation?
edit on 18-3-2014 by TheRegal because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by HardCorps

Do you know Gordon duff at veteran's today it would be a good story for him

It is bad when a man that has put his life on the line cannot get a gig in the private sector

i will pass this story on to him tonight
we are pen pals

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Does that somehow change the fact that we saved thousands of lives? Or do things only matter when they affect the tax dollars of self-entitled American panty waists?

posted on Mar, 19 2014 @ 01:54 PM
link   

The OP is nothing more than and example of an entitled coward who brings guns to a knife fight. Do you know most places won't hire males for cashier positions? Where's the outrage? What's the difference? Oh right, no propaganda saying that all males are heroes.

I bet you just love the anonymously the internet provides you.
and I would dearly love to see you say that to a Vey face to face...

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join