It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oh you're a combat veteran? Sorry we're not hiring.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+10 more 
posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   
No funny quips from me today, today all I have is anger.

last month I ran into a buddy of mine who tells me he just got a great job working for a mining company just across the border in Utah..

As an apprentice electrician their paying him $50 bucks an hour and I figure whoa I got my journeymen's so sign me up baby!

So I go down to apply and the lady taking app looks at my DD214 and says
"Oh I see you were in Afghanistan and Iraq."
"Yes Mam three tours...!"
"Well we'll keep your application for one year so if anything comes up we'll be sure to call you."
But even as I leave I can tell by her look that lady is not going to call.

Then this weekend I run into the same buddy at church and guess what he tells me... that he talked to their HR lady about getting me on and she told him we "combat vets are to unstable mentally to make reliable employees..."

Well F me to tears... and she can forget all about getting a reach around from me!

Yes I filed a complaint with Veterans affairs, fat lot of good that'll do...

God bless America and support our troops seems to be yesterdays news.
edit on 10-3-2014 by HardCorps because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by HardCorps

Oww feel bad for you man. Dont know what to say.
Maybe you can re-approach again, this time with a hidden tape recorder. Show them, the correct mentality.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Sorry about that.

I hired Vets every chance I got. They made fabulous employees.

It's their loss. You don't want to work there anyway.

Something better is right around the corner.

Oh, Thank You for your Service.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Truly disgusting but, unfortunately, I have to support their right to be idiots. The only solution (besides shaming them publicly which I advocate) would be to further extend anti-choice legislation which is never good.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 12:31 PM
link   
thats to bad, I use to always hire vets over civ's. not anymore, dont have jobs to fill.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Here's the one I get is "oh your a white male, fifty years of age" sorry not hiring.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   

NullVoid

Oww feel bad for you man. Dont know what to say.
Maybe you can re-approach again, this time with a hidden tape recorder. Show them, the correct mentality.

No...
the wife has been encouraging my to open a veterans store... not and army surplus deal... but a shop you can walk into and buy hats jackets and stickers for vets to proudly display... The mine job would have made funding that store easer but now, I'll do it without their help
edit on 10-3-2014 by HardCorps because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 12:36 PM
link   

ChesterJohn
Here's the one I get is "oh your a white male, fifty years of age" sorry not hiring.

I frequently get this one:

Me: "Hi, I can consolidate your information systems and automate your production environment which will generate a 300% efficiency improvement and dramatically increase your overall quality and bottom line."

Department head: "Sorry, we are looking for a full time on-site seat warmer, I don't care about the long term success of this company or its bottom line. Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out."
edit on 10-3-2014 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Thats just bloody wrong, people/companys like that make sick. Ive been turned down before, from job apps, even college and uni coarses because I was up front and told them I suffer from p.t.s.d, so I can relate.
I wish you luck finding a decent employer, or luck in starting your shop/store.
All the best.
B.V.H

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Some of the best employees I ever hired where straight home from Iraq, I hired a buddy when he came home, he started recommending his friends.

By the time I left that company we had hired 7-8 of his friends, all did better than the average new higher. Last I checked 5 of them had moved up, and 3 had moved on to better jobs in general.

Some people are just idiots, and they manage to find themselves in positions of making important choices can tank a whole company.

You see it all the time, one person has an ignorant view, leads to a decline in production at best, and a lawsuit at worst.

That HR person sounds like a Gem of a human being.

ETA:

No matter what the company produces, being known as "anti-American" can't help them. I'd say spread that around when ever you can, that they don't Consider vets good enough people to be employed there.

Id even gather some unemployed buddies and Picket, call the local news.

I Guarantee you a job somewhere after that.
edit on 10-3-2014 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I am sorry to hear about the hard time you are having finding a job. If I can make a suggestion, find some way to start your own small business. Find something you have passion for (besides war and guns) and find a way.

I was unemployable all the way back in 1983. Rebel from hell I was although I quickly realized that it was upon me to make money, not upon others to pay me to make their money. Working for others is pure slavery.

What are your interests? What do you like to do for fun? I always like to do things like kayaking, hang gliding, mountain biking, scuba diving etc etc. I found ways to make a living doing all of them. Now I own my own ride company, it took a while and a lot of struggle but life is good when you live for your passions.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 12:50 PM
link   

That sucks man, my brother is going through the same thing.
Personally I don't think any veteran should have to do sh!t when they come home. I'd rather see my tax dollars go to making sure YOU don't have to worry about a thing, than see that money go to people who won't lift a finger to help themselves... much less put their life on the line for the rest of us.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Ya know with her attitude there has to be a story there.
maybe dumped by an ex who was a vet?
God only knows but she could have had the decency to look me in the eyes and say it.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   

greencmp

ChesterJohn

I frequently get this one:

Me: "Hi, I can consolidate your information systems and automate your production environment which will generate 300% efficiency improvements and dramatically increase your overall quality and bottom line."

Department head: "Sorry, we are looking for a full time on-site seat warmer, I don't care about the long term success of this company or its bottom line. Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out."

LOL! ya got to luv it!

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Unfortunately your buddy who is an employee already is the lynch-pin on this and you don't want to put him is jeopardy. But if you could get them to admit this to someone else you could make hay with it and cause them a great deal of unwanted attention. I don't know how you could do this precisely or how much energy you want to put into this, but you might think about it.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 12:55 PM
link   
we could thank our MSM for creating a fearful environment to which we all who lost work the last five years and our vets have to deal with.

While it is a small percentage of returning vets that actually are unstable the majority are great men and women and suited to serve our police and fire depts.

Thanks MSM you lousy no good slime sucking maggot faced political tool of the elite!

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Bone75

That sucks man, my brother is going through the same thing.
Personally I don't think any veteran should have to do sh!t when they come home. I'd rather see my tax dollars go to making sure YOU don't have to worry about a thing, than see that money go to people who won't lift a finger to help themselves... much less put their life on the line for the rest of us.

Well I'm not big on hand out's
I like working for my money--- satisfaction in a job well done, ya know.
I think most vets feel the same and don't ask for special treatment. just want to be viewed like everyone else... judge us by our accomplishments not by some preconceived notions

link   
Thats just her personal opinion. You can get her for discrimination.

link   
Stupid double post..LOL.
edit on 10-3-2014 by Tylerdurden1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 12:58 PM
link   

I've been Management, and worked with just some Dump people.

I had one manager who wanted me to fire my one African american employee because he looked "thugish"

You would be surprised what opinions get expressed in "upper" management, Never mind the man was my best employee the District manager wanted him gone from the Highest Volume store (located near Bell Air and Brentwood in So CA).

Some people are just ignorant, I simply got on the phone with HR, and asked her to explain to them why she wanted me to fire him. I told them my side, she hers, All they said was "not this again" and it was swept under the rug.

After I quit there, she fired him, so crap like this should be put out for everyone to see.

The fact that You served in defense of this nation, and this piece of human garbage has the nerve to judge you, disgusts me.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join