It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A farewell to religion.

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by graphuto

You are thinking about the Pilgrims from the late 16th through the 17th century; at the time, England was already Anglican.
You are correct about the fact that they were breaking off from religious tyranny (the Pilgrims). However, the Founding Fathers were about taxation without representation; forced tithing, etc.
Henry VIII was the one who broke away from the Catholic Church (to assuage his guilt...long story).

The Founding Fathers made it very clear they were not following or denying any religion/religious idea of God.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 06:17 PM
link   
A nice little convo here.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 11:31 PM
link   

graphuto
reply to post by BuzzyWigs

Because I don't want them to burn eternally?

I always thought that part was obvious.

People make it sound like we're doing something sinister by trying to get people saved, why is that?

Probably because you keep threatening children with the notion that if they dont believe in the same things you do that they can expect a long afterlife of eternal burning. That is a pretty sore spot with me.

I liken your version of saving people to someone constantly warning me how sharp unicorn horns are and if i dont believe in them that they will kill me in my sleep and then burn me.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 11:33 PM
link   

graphuto
reply to post by BuzzyWigs

Well, it sort of was. The whole thing was due to Catholicism and Protestantism. Real, Bible believing Christians wanted to get away from the evil Catholics, so they started a country where they could practice their true religion freely.

But yes, I do understand that Religion and Politics are separated and that we aren't to be governed by religion.
edit on 12-3-2014 by graphuto because: (no reason given)

And please tell us Why we shouldnt be governed by religion. Because this will tell you exactly why you shouldn't believe in any of them.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8   >>

join