It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's Election Day in North Korea!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 05:10 AM
link   
If you weren't aware of the fact the Democratic People's Republic of Korea had elections, well, now ya know! Of course..these aren't quite elections as we know them. They call them elections though, and everyone is required to show up, so apparently something gets accomplished.

The vote for the Supreme People's Assembly is the first in five years and the first under leader Kim Jong Un. The last elections were held in March 2009, when 687 deputies were elected to the assembly. It is the most powerful body under North Korea's constitution, but which in reality has little political power.

Instead of choosing who they support, voters are given the choice of a yes or no for the single candidate on their ballot. Virtually all choose yes.
Source

I wonder what happens if they ever get enough voting no to see someone lose? (What if Kim lost his ceremonial post?)

It is a special kind of place in some ways. Not really good in this context, but special in being one of a kind in the modern world.

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Do I vote for Supreme Magical Mystical Ruler of Great Importance the III (Kim Un), or do I vote for Heaven's Warrior of Fiery Crystal Spirited Freedom & Death Doctor of all People's Bringer of Light III (Kim Un) or do I vote for...

What's this? "Vote other" is just a old WWII pistol and a single bullet?
edit on 9-3-2014 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 05:37 AM
link   
I'm gussing Kim Jung Un is unopposed?

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 05:54 AM
link   
I remember Saddam had elections too, there were always like 98% participation and he always won with 99 percent of the votes.

Cuba also votes for the Castros as the leaders, not in an election but in the parlament.

Chavez had like 14 elections in 15 years, he only lose one, it was to change the constitution again to include Comunas endless reelections and so on, after a year all that the people said no was law by others means.

Correa also won 5 elections so far.

Elections are very good for dictators to control their people, they have a nice illusion that they influence something.

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 06:12 AM
link   
i love how obvious the outcome of this election seems to westerners. i mean as an American i can't help but chuckle for a second or two.

but then i remember i live in the western world, and the fact that i can actually relate to BS elections like this.

only pro i can think of is that at least some of us here know its bs... N. Koreans however dont have the luxury.

the biggest con however is that most choose to deny and ignore this fact...

i wonder if wearing north Korean rose colored sunglasses makes them actually feel better...

i mean what if ignorance really is bliss?

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 06:12 AM
link   
i love how obvious the outcome of this election seems to westerners. i mean as an American i can't help but chuckle for a second or two.

but then i remember i live in the western world, and the fact that i can actually relate to BS elections like this.

only pro i can think of is that at least some of us here know its bs... N. Koreans however dont have the luxury.

the biggest con however is that most choose to deny and ignore this fact...

i wonder if wearing north Korean rose colored sunglasses makes them actually feel better...

i mean what if ignorance really is bliss?

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 06:14 AM
link   
I'm just wondering what the TV footage will be like. "And here's the national map. As you can see we're projecting a 100% victory for glorious sparkling wonder-leader Kim Jong-un, but excitement is rising here as we look at the projected level of enthusiasm. 90% are very, very enthusiastic, 8% are very, very, very excited and 2% have wet themselves."

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 06:14 AM
link   
oops i double posted. can a mod please delete one of those and this reply? sorry about that!

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 06:19 AM
link   
reply to post by GreenManXphile

The difference is people really believe the propaganda and freedom of choice in the west. In NK it's just a satirical joke you keep replaying in your head so as not to lose it.

The best society I presume is NK dictatorship, with US style freedom of press & speech. So yes, the asshat ruling over you gets to declare it, shout it from the rooftops, throw it in your face, but at least you can mock them. Instead the west is a creepy old uncle saying, "No dear, I didn't steal your candy" while he has it in his back pocket about to lure some boys into his van.

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Election day in NoKo...yeahhhh

You have one of three boxes in which to place your 'X'

Box 1 - Kim forever and ever

Box 2 - You are a traitor and will be eaten alive by dogs.

Box 3 - You are a traitor and you AND your famliy will be eaten alive by dogs.

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 06:59 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

yeah thats a difference... but how are either actually worth it for humanity in the long term? being able to mock leaders doesn't really justify their obviously inhumane actions... im not taking one side or the other... im trying to say.... why do we let any of these people with apparent psychopathic tenancies rule any of us?

i mean... im an american... i dont want people in iraq or afghanistan to die. but leaders in my country do. why is it an acceptable consequence to throw any of my fellow americans in prison for not paying taxes in order to carry out these atrocities?

the fact is... no country is any better or worse than North Korea if you give it enough time and consideration. not just looking at the obvious considerations mind you. im talking about REALLY considering what it means to be a citizen of any country.

what makes a baby born in america an american, and what makes a baby born in north korea a north korean?

the paperwork filled out the moments after its birth...

i think the real difference is knowing that there is only the way we assume things are, and what really matters beyond that for us all.

edit on 9-3-2014 by GreenManXphile because: spelling error

edit on 9-3-2014 by GreenManXphile because: more spelling blah blahs

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Greatly smuggled out in secrecy under heavy penalty of death (but the papers pretty much littered the streets there) voting paper shows....

Supreme Magical Mystical Ruler of Great Importance the III ?

Pick one.
Yes [ ] Kim Un
No [ ] Yourself

Name and address to contact. -------------------------------------------------------------------
Its the people choice to choose the best for their safety. Party members can vote more than once.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Compare to American voting papers

President ?
[ ] This guy who we lobbied
[ ] That guy who we bought
[ ] The other guy whom we suggest

edit on 9-3-2014 by NullVoid because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Oh, now you know that some people have to vote "no" or "other" or whatever the option is. So, my question is when and how do they notify the dissenters that they will be voting to dissent this year?

See, I'm guessing they carefully make sure that at least a certain number of votes will be for dissent just to make sure there is some, and then, they will round up/punish some people for dissent. But, I'm guessing the people who are punished and the people who dissented aren't necessarily or even probably the same people.

And knowing the answers to some of these questions might begin to clear up some of the issues in our own electoral system.
edit on 9-3-2014 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Wrabbit2000

I wonder what happens if they ever get enough voting no to see someone lose?

I'm not sure I would sleep well thinking about that question, Wrabbit. I can imagine lots of things that could happen and all of them end badly for those foolish enough to embarrass their leader. (shudder) I think you meant this rhetorically, though. I think you have a good imagination, too.

Well. Off to try and sleep now... (shudder)

- AB

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Lol it reminds me of the elections that were held in Iraq under Hussein. Somehow he always seems to win with 99.6% of the total votes.

I've always wondered where the mass graves are for those who did not vote for him. As in Iraq, the elections in North Korea are a joke and imo an insult to the north Korean people.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 03:07 AM
link   
It all sounds vaguely familiar, in a strange sort of way, doesn't it? Regardless of the results, there is no effect.
edit on 10-3-2014 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by AboveBoard

Yes, I was being rhetorical. I have to say that given their 'Three Generations of Punishment' policy as it stands already? Collective reprisal to re-educate the local population who would so offend Dear Leader as to question the wisdom of his candidate choices would be what I'd expect.

It's a really weird kind of place...eh? The land that time and sense forgot.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 04:13 AM
link   
Oh look, Kim Jong Un got 100% of the vote! What a surprise!

top topics

join