It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

God, yay or nay?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Many of you here on ATS might remember a thread I wrote a while
back, Bigfoot yay or nay? Self explanatory I think. During the course
of the thread, a member suggested I do one on aliens, in the same
format. Whereby members vote yay or nay in accordance to what
they believe. From there they can explain why and subject them
selves to both peer approval and/or opposition. I declined and left
they idea for him to play with, but I don't beleve he moved on it.

Well, I've been bored. And thought why not see how another one
flys? It has been a while and the concept hasn't been to over done
in this format. Then I figured, why aliens? Why not go for the big
tamale? So lets do this, in this chosen forum because, if this debate
isn't the social issue of our time? At least on ATS? Then I'll go live with
the pygmys and wash water buffalos. Any way ATS!

Do you believe in God? A God, defined as a spiritual being of greater
capacities than our own. Like creation and destruction, who's existence
holds the answers to questions about ourselves, that we will obviously
never be able to answer on our own. Who may or may not be the Christian
God, so without asking which GOD?

yay or nay?

Again yay or nay first, so it's easy for anyone to tally.
Anything goes at your own risk after that. Some advice to
everyone tho, don't let the topic get the best of you? I'm
not doing this to see people tossed off site or get their
feelers hurt. I'm bored! So onward.>

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Nay as an old vengeful man with a beard in the clouds,

Yay as an entity who our limited intelligence cannot probably conceive

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 06:40 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Nay.

But you're quite welcome to believe so long as you dont push it on me or my children.

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Yay I suppose although i have to say God seems to be a little behind schedule.

Wasn't he/she/it supposed to have returned sometime around the turn of the millennium?
edit on 7-3-2014 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 06:47 AM
link   

PlanetXisHERE
Nay as an old vengeful man with a beard in the clouds,

Yay as an entity who our limited intelligence cannot probably conceive

Top of the first a one to one tie.

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 07:03 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Nay, in the sense it is taught.

But i'm agnostic, essentially believe there's not evidence for a supernatural creator being one way or the other..and even if there was, that it wasn't simply an advanced ET life form misidentified as a 'god' (or group of gods).

Further, i don't see why any just and good god (if such exists or existed at one time) would demand or even require sacrifice, worship or endless sycophantic behaviour from us mortals...for what? and why? It's all arrogant and frankly i find it very ...creepy.

I DO believe we should try to live our limited lives generally by the tenets of various religious teachings though..but only as far as 'do unto others, as you would have others do unto you', be fair to others, be good, be kind and try to live as violence free a life as possible and minimise harm to others.

Love and not hate, and all that wholesome stuff is perfectly reasonable to me and i do live my life and teach my kids to live their lives in this way...but that's as far as my 'religion' goes.

If there's a god (or gods), which i very much doubt...it or they will let me know if they want me to know, and it never has and i'm pretty sure it never will. So either it isn't bothered what i think one way or the other, or it is just a Human invention / construct and simply isn't and never has been there.

I think we Humans should look to ourselves more...we ought to look at both our own Human failings and our strengths much more, and look to blame absent supernatural entities for the good or bad we unleash on the world during our lives, a lot less.

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 07:04 AM
link   
nay on the human God.

I feel that if divine creator wanted to be worshiped without question ( as he seems to....according to our religious doctrines) than he would make an effort to be seen to instill more faith in him. He would also not make an effort to divide many nations, change their language and allow them separate themselves from each other, and to slaughter each other...which in the end creates more duality and distrust towards his divinity and his intentions. If he wanted the opposite...than he's doing it wrong.

Make humans speak the same language, make them believe in the same God wherever they were born.

He also seems quite helpless to stop "Satan and his minions" running a mock upon Earth....even though he is apparently omnipotent...and a creator of everything.

I find myself puzzled by an omnipotent God who created the universe...yet is unable to control one of his creations doing something he does not with to be done. Or does he ???

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 07:09 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Meh.

Whether or not a god exists is irrelevant, I think.
Everything is the way it is, and it can't be proven one way or the other. So there is little point in worrying about it.

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 07:19 AM
link   
I believe in god but not religion. They have the same stories with the same contradictions, though I believe in the message of one god & one love, but the rest is a bunch of fiction

When I say god, I don't mean a man in a gown. I picture God been everything in the universe, the source of life - what the # that is I have no idea, But I do believe in the concept of a God whether that be energy or what ever, my mind can't even comprehend how that God would look, if it even had an appearance..

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Yep ,and He will perform His good pleasure in His own time .

2nd ...peace

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Yay, I suppose.

Why couldn't God be a construct of a human mind.

I would ask anyone to tell me anything that isn't a construct of the human mind. All those things that you get from your senses.... and anything else, is just a product of your mind.

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 07:27 AM
link   
I just love original questions..

Bravo.

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 07:30 AM
link   

andy06shake
reply to post by randyvs

Yay I suppose although i have to say God seems to be a bit behind schedule.

Wasn't he/she/it supposed to have returned sometime around the turn of the millennium?

If the God who the bible goes on about came back how would we know? Any man in these day and ages who claims what he did would get laughed at & burnt and shot in some countries. The human race needs to save its self from its self and stop waiting for some God that's never going to turn up. And plus, if that concept of god did actually exist, why the hell would he/she sacrifice him/her self for us? If I was him, I'd be petrified to sacrifice my self for this world I watched John Lennon speak about peace and watched him die, MLK had a dream and i watched him die, every man who rises for the people gets taken out by TPTB and the world continues to spiral even deeper into the concept of evil. Why would god send another deity when all the others have failed, I'm pretty sure God has given up on us, given if the stories are true.

Maybe its about time people get off their knees and do something productive to change the world we live in.

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Yes.

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Jefferton
I just love original questions..

Bravo.

Pretty much my thought on the subject.

edit on 7-3-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by n00bUK

Rather hard to get up off ones knees when organised religion keep you bent over a barrel for most of your life!

But that's faith for you, do this or do that or God will punish you!
LoL

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 07:51 AM
link   

andy06shake
reply to post by randyvs

Yay I suppose although i have to say God seems to be a little behind schedule.

It might not fit yours and mine schedule and hopes but then evolution from one thing to another takes time.

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 08:00 AM
link   

andy06shake
reply to post by n00bUK

Rather hard to get up off ones knees when organised religion keep you bent over a barrel for most of your life!

But that's faith for you, do this or do that or God will punish you!
LoL

Well they are eating from the perceived illusion "of knowing right from wrong" from Genesis so who cares what they say. The whole eating from the tree of knowledge of good and evil that puts you in a dualistic mode where you think you are right and anyone who do not agree is wrong.

Seek beyond man made religion and you might find the source of the religions.
. That source might shed some light on what is really going on and higher level spiritual truths.

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Nay to the god of the holy bible

Yay to intelligent consciousness above our physical realm, whatever it may be

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Yay, I think there is a creative force which we as humans would conceive as being God. Now, is it some old man sitting in the sky or way out in space somewhere beyond the reach of our telescopes and satellites? I don't think so. To me, God is the great "I AM" or the "ALL THAT IS." That is the only way that God can truly be conceived of by the human mind, in my honest opinion.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join