It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Original Sin is a Good Thing

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Much of the Christian world believes that a talking snake convinced Adam and Eve to eat the fruit forbidden by God, who then became so angry that he condemned humankind to be born with what Christians call “original sin.” But then came the “good news”: God’s sinless son, Jesus, who is also God, paid a brief visit to earth to redeem us for that sin committed by Adam and Eve. So God sacrificed himself to himself to save us from himself, and when we die we will be rewarded or punished for eternity based on whether or not we believe this unbelievable story.

Of course I am not religious but I think one can still find a meaningful message in holy books. My take was that Adam and Eve were correct to follow the snake’s advice to eat forbidden fruit in order to gain knowledge, because ignorance is not bliss and blind obedience is not a supreme virtue.

It kind of makes you wonder if the moral to some stories were not interpreted the way they were meant to be. Who knows in another thousand years if religious books are still around will the interpreted messages still be what they are today.
edit on 6-3-2014 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

Believing in mythical people from millennia ago is rarely a good thing...

Especially in this case, where one teaches that we are born into sin... Thus babies who are innocent and pure are made to be evil because of said mythical persons...

fully disagree with you

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Come on you should know I don't believe those stories are anything other than stories meant to teach some kind of moral. Like the boy who cried wolf or goldilocks. The stories can still have meaning, but they don't have to be what some empire has said they mean.

Have you ever wondered what someone might take away from such a story who had not been indoctrinated with it?

I am just attempting some light conversation.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Akragon

Believing in mythical people from millennia ago is rarely a good thing...

Especially in this case, where one teaches that we are born into sin... Thus babies who are innocent and pure are made to be evil because of said mythical persons...

fully disagree with you

I ctaully agree with the OP. I am also not religious. I have a different interpretation. Not like it matters which one you take as all have meaning, but mine is that Sin is being physical. In this case Spirit is sort of plain, but in flesh we can have good and evil and all shades of gray. So it's not a good or bad thing, it's just a solid thing. We were with god and now we are separate. In our separateness we are away from God, but we are also free.

Obviously you'd be BORN into sin as this is where we are..

This is an interpretation brought on by 6 6 6 meaning Carbon. As in 6 nutrons, 6 protons, 6 electrons. Carbon based life. It's just a fun idea I think about.

You can look at any art or word or book or person or anything and come up with any idea, and it's not really what is "right" that matters, it's more what you can see.

In other ways Sin is just another name for Yin, the negative, or passive or female, or cup, or nurturing energy or moon energy.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Have you ever wondered what someone might take away from such a story who had not been indoctrinated into it?

Yes actually....

I've wondered how anyone could take something like that seriously... Even if its a complete myth what do we take from it?

God is a cruel dictator?

Adam and eve did not know anything about good and evil, so God puts a tree in the garden that could give them that knowledge... but says don't touch it... IF they did touch it they will "become like one of us"...

But it says God doesn't tempt man... what would you call that?

There is another interpretation of this story... where the "snake" was actually an angel of the true God, trying to release adam and eve from the torments of the evil God

Personally I think that makes more sense, but again... theres nothing good about the concept of "original sin"... especially since it goes against what Jesus taught...

Children are innocent... They're taught to do evil

Forbid them not to come to me, for they are as those in the kingdom of heaven...

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

It's like if you watch the movie "SGT peppers lonely hearts club band." If you take it at face value it makes no sense whatsoever. Many people give it terrible ratings. But if you see it for what it is an essay on mind control in the US, and the beatles part in this, it makes perfect sense. The actually story line is largely subliminal.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 08:45 PM
link   

I believe the only real way to know or get close to God is to find spirituality on your own, in your own way. Think for yourself. I am not into organized religion in any way. I see it as a scam to control people. It's the longest running, best scam ever pulled and I respect it in that sense. It's brilliant. Constantine was a genius. lol

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Your avatar strikes me as someone who wouldn't have to be so literal. I think all the stories are made up people who wanted to say things as analogies. For me Genesis reads like the Big Bang. Fallen angles sounds like light beings turning into humans, or going into bodies. You'll notice that astrology comes into play. There is a part where Jesus is talking about houses and the water bearer and it's obviously some star map timing involving aquarius.. I think Jesus may be Orion, Then "heaven" would be Through Orion, haha... Maybe the center of the galaxy? A singularity. A oneness... Then God of the Bible would only be God of the Milky Way.

I have many different versions of interpretations of the bible. It's fun.

Back to Sin being physical reality... I think if there were a god who had a "tree" that made us physical... That he wanted us to try it.. Reverse psychology.. Let us make our own "mistakes" to give us our own freedom.... We had to make the first action without being told... The snake was only one of many messengers helping us along the way.

edit on 6-3-2014 by KnightLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by KnightLight

I don't take it literally... I think of it as a really good story

Similar to humpty dumpty...

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

LOL...you got that last verse so wrong.

LOL EVEN HARDER.....You didn't get it wrong....I read it wrong.

From (recent) translations done by several parties there is no Original Sin in the Creation story.
edit on 6-3-2014 by LightAssassin because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-3-2014 by LightAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Akragon

I don't take it literally... I think of it as a really good story

Similar to humpty dumpty...

That's all you have to say about my long post? In humpty dumpty a mistake can never be corrected. It seems to have overtones of the fall of an empire. Not much there compared to what you can get out of a longer book.

The Apple is the representation of a choice.
The Tree is a representation of Eternal life.

The choice is giving up Eternal Life for Free Will. Good thing is though, we have both.
The "Snake" and "God" Are on the same side. They only tricked you to help you. It was you who had to act. They are themselves the representation of good and evil from the Apple... They can only be separate here.. No one can give you rights, no one can give you free will... You have to take it, and you did.

^^^That's just my version though. I like it anyway, haha.

Come on you have to route for the snake a little right?

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

I kind of like your interpretation. Look at what has been labeled as sin in the past. It was taught that sin is violating any of the 613 Commandments found in the Hebrew Bible before. Eating meat on Friday used to be a sin for Catholics, but no longer is. So the word sin doesn't hold much meaning to me nor any authority. The story however is interesting to contemplate.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 09:38 PM
link   

I think it is great when people have different interpretations. With yours you added knowledge that has been discovered long after the bible was written and fit it in.

I imagine if men were to sit down with all the stories to create the bible today they would add that in somewhere unfortunately once they did that the book was considered sacred so any changes have been in a smaller nature.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 09:43 PM
link   

I think the "other sins" after the apple are mans creations as a power vacuum had occurred. Some were for health some were for having a working society. Some were for putting down women. These are obviously written by early politicians. Same as now... You just changed the word from sinning to law breaking.

People take words and change their meaning. They also missed that they chose their path. What a Gift.

I don't think God and the Snake or the apple or the tree were actually in a spot... I think the oneness of consciousness split into many. And soon after that wanted a "REAL" life.. Physical reality and the memory of heaven (oneness).. How else could the kingdom of heaven be within??

Trust me I'll stop now, haha.. Time to listen now.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Original sin is not a good thing in my opinion. It teaches people that sin is unavoidable and that it is always destined to be that way. Why would you try to avoid doing it if it's inevitable anyways? We see where this line of thinking has gotten us in today's world: corruption, perpetual war, poverty, starvation, genocide, pollution, lies, etc.

It is all accepted as the natural order and nothing is done about it because the majority have been indoctrinated and pacified by dogma such as original sin and the heaven/hell paradigm. Why try to save this world when it can't be saved and why care if eternal bliss is on the other side of death? This is what religion has done to the world, it has made it complacent and uncaring.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Grimpachi
reply to post by Akragon

Come on you should know I don't believe those stories are anything other than stories meant to teach some kind of moral. Like the boy who cried wolf or goldilocks. The stories can still have meaning, but they don't have to be what some empire has said they mean.

Have you ever wondered what someone might take away from such a story who had not been indoctrinated with it?

I am just attempting some light conversation.

I see several "morals" to that story: chief, amongst them, that there is a price for everything you ask for, and even what you don't.
That, in this place, there is always a higher authority that exacts this price. That this is an understood concept, from the inception of our lives…..
Just musings, there.
Tetra

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 10:01 PM
link   

3NL1GHT3N3D1
Original sin is not a good thing in my opinion. It teaches people that sin is unavoidable and that it is always destined to be that way. Why would you try to avoid doing it if it's inevitable anyways?

I see original sin (not bad) as being physical. What do physical beings do? We EAT other physical beings. We are all vampires. Therefor Sin is unavoidable, but it is also OK. We have to "Sin." WE have to KILL to LIVE. We are the Negative and Positive rolled into one. We are the Everything (Nothing) split into positive and negative infinity..

It's all ok. It's all still beautiful in a way. There is no way to "mess up." There are only different choices, different goals, different levels of "goodness" different free will beings experiencing the wonder that is this universe..

I swear last post.. I'm moving on at least until tomorrow.

Oh and I really like the post above mine. Everything is a trade off.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 10:05 PM
link   

I see lots of concepts about sin, in general, you are proposing here, but isn't this about the original sin?And wasn't that truly the choice of knowledge and going beyond that garden, and God being chosen as the only arbiter of information while remaining in His garden?

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 10:06 PM
link   

I believe the Adam and Eve stuff was mainly about the symbolism of mans evolution.

We were once like the animals. We didn't understand that we were naked and stuff. Once we evolved to understand basic knowledge, that is when we were forced to grow and learn about our environment.

Our evolution of I think therefore I am is the taking of the tree of knowledge.

Our next goal is the tree of life. Our desire to reach immorality is our desire to eat from the tree of life. Who doesn't want to live forever?

Our Eden was us living in blissful ignorance with our environment. Once we wanted better, is our exile from Eden.

Don't think we can take the Bible literally.

Imagine if you were a space traveler trying to explain the creation of our universe and life creation...to a primitive tribe person. You'd dumb it down a lot.

My 2¢

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 10:11 PM
link   

I have to agree to the idea that the way the texts have been interpreted at the moment should be considered from a wholly alternative perspective. Maybe that's the reason why religion as it is at the moment often fails its own divine standards.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join