It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

question about skin cancer and freckles

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 05:26 PM
link   
So a long time ago I got sunburned really bad on my shoulders. Turned into some freckles. Doctor saw them and I believe he said theat could turn bad,

i've noticed one of those freckles is not so much just a freckle any more. Seems to be growing

How bad would it be to just take a straight razor and cut it off?

I have insurance but trying to find a dr here for new patient is ridiculous.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Go see a doctor.

Better to be safe than sorry!

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

Thats the problem, I havent seen a dr in like ever, no doctors take new patients

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 05:34 PM
link   
I dont think it is ER worthy but drats, I cant find a doctor

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by tinner07

Surely you can find a clinic to go to or a family practitioner in the area.

Most major hospitals have satellite clinics that will accept you.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 05:47 PM
link   

I have frecles as well, I also have had 1st, 2nd and 3rd degree sun burns in my life, I have never heard of a freckle growing. Maybe its just a wart growing and a freck just happens to be in that area.

Never in my life have I experienced a growing freckle or ever heard of a growing freckle until now.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 05:48 PM
link   

A clinic can usually do a biopsy, for something small like a mole or freckle they generally remove the whole thing.

The fear is that if it is malignant when you (potentially) cut it in half (by just removing the top) you may inadvertently spread it through your blood supply.

Go to a clinic if you can not find a doctor taking new patients, better safe than sorry! (And I say this as someone who had a bump on the thigh and I ignored it and I had to have a major surgery/skin graft - we thought it was a cyst but it was a malignant cancer - take care of yourself)

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 05:48 PM
link   
You need a dermatologist, not a regular family doctor. They're seldom that busy and you should be able to get an appt easily.

Meanwhile, look on line for pictures of skin cancer and the appearance of the more dangerous kinds of melanomas; you can't cut them off with a straight razor, they go deep, that's why they're dangerous.

And new research has shown that suntan lotions contain carcinogens. Turns out the chemicals are more dangerous than the sun exposure itself, which you need a certain amount of to ward off, among other things, cancer. Low Vitamin D levels are associated with an increased risk of many cancers.

Edited to add, if all else fails, call your local hospital or medical school and ask about referrals to dermatologists. They'll have lists of new docs available looking for patients; so will your local Medical Association.
edit on 035053pmThursdayf50Thu, 06 Mar 2014 17:50:03 -0600America/Chicago by signalfire because: addendum

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 05:50 PM
link   
If a freckle or mole changes AT ALL...

Get to the Doctor now.

Your life could depend on it.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by snypwsd

ok thank you, if you had sunburn bad you got some freckles from it?

I think I have had 3 warts in my life, I cut them off with wire cutters. all on my hands and fingers.

it could just be dry skin. It is winter and running my heat dries the air out,

But what I'd like to know is if it is the non horrific going to kill you kinda cancer, or even if it is, how bad would it be to just cut it off?

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 06:02 PM
link   

tinner07
reply to post by snypwsd

ok thank you, if you had sunburn bad you got some freckles from it?

I think I have had 3 warts in my life, I cut them off with wire cutters. all on my hands and fingers.

it could just be dry skin. It is winter and running my heat dries the air out,

But what I'd like to know is if it is the non horrific going to kill you kinda cancer, or even if it is, how bad would it be to just cut it off?

When they remove it they do Histology to check for Cancer.

A mole killed my 6'6" Police Officer Father.

This is something you don't just cut off. It could have roots.

Another warning sign if it is sunken. It is Cancer.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 06:10 PM
link   

tinner07

Nobody can say or give you odds without a biopsy, it really is worth it to have a doctor (or dermatologist) remove it.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Agree on the dermatologist part. You need to see one. I had a bad sunburn late spring last year. Nice wet blisters on me for weeks.
A couple months later, my gf saw what looked like a blue-black spot abnormally shaped but subcutaneous.

My dumbass decided to play amateur surgeon for realises! Had a shot or two to keep my hands steady and went exploring with tweezers to make sure it wasn't just a piece of metal. It wasn't. That's when I called the pro and got my biopsy. Cancerous but shouldn't spread. I just have to keep my eyes on the skin.
Good luck.
More than likely something is just deciding to grow a little crazy, but...and that but will keep you up at night until you know.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Dermatologist. Look one up in the phone book, call them and tell them you have suspicious looking "freckles" that appear to be growing. You will be seen within 2 weeks if you are not too bitchy about when they can schedule you.
edit on 6-3-2014 by yamammasamonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Hospitals or communities have walk in clinics most times with doctors from the area on staff. You may have to wait an hour or so sometimes to get in. The on call doctor is usually a regular doctor, some work in the emergency room sometimes. It does cost about one fifty here to go to these clinics. They do a good job and you usually do not need to make an appointment.

They can look at them and tell you more.
edit on 6-3-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 09:22 PM
link   
First problem; you said "one of those freckles is not so much just a freckle any more. Seems to be growing" then you said that "it could be just be dry skin": I never heard of dry skin making freckles grow. See a dermatologist. Whatever you do just don't "take a straight razor and cut it off."

Second problem; "no doctors take new patients": Sounds like an excuse. I am assuming you do not like doctors because you said "you havent seen a dr in like ever."

Third problem; You had 3 warts in your life and cut them off with wire cutters. Ummm please don't do that anymore. LOL

edit on 6-3-2014 by gmoneystunt because: (no reason given)

top topics

join