It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The MIG41

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
RAB

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Hi Guys,

Link:

theaviationist.com...

So the Russians are looking for a MIG31 replacement, So what do you think internal weapons, stealth? Or just high and very fast?

Your thoughts?

Rich
edit on 6-3-2014 by RAB because: Being a dippy fool I stated MIG41 replacement, amended to MIG31 replacement :-)

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by RAB

Not very stealth with all the right angles on the air intake, looks like a beast though.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   

19KTankCommander
reply to post by RAB

Not very stealth with all the right angles on the air intake, looks like a beast though.

The picture is a MiG-31.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by 19KTankCommander

That's just a plain-jane Mig31 in the pic...

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by RAB

Link you posted suggests that this new Mig 41 would have a capability of Mach 4+.

I think the plane in the movie Firefox was a mach 4+ fighter but that's just in the movies.

The Airframe and skin of any such aircraft will need to be composed of some pretty tuff material to withstand the temperatures and pressures associated with such a speed(1 361.16 m/s or 3,040 mph). Then there is the engine design, remember if its a fighter plane the engine needs to be easily changeable and reliable, able to function in adverse weather conditions, and achieve mach 4+.

Do you think Russia is logistically capable of building and maintaining such a device? I honestly don't know.

edit on 6-3-2014 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by andy06shake

They are capable of handling the frame and skin, but the engines are a big unknown.

I say that they are capable for the frame and skin because they are at least as advanced as Canada in advanced material development, and Canada could make a material capable of handling the heat and stresses required.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 05:20 PM
link   

andy06shake
reply to post by RAB

Do you think Russia is logistically capable of building and maintaining such a device? I honestly don't know.

I don't know either but it sounds like an exaggeration. An improvement of Mach 1.5 on an already Mach 2.8? Then again I'm no Russian.. I would think if they want that speed they are not going for complete stealth, but more of low observable. Of course I don't know capabilities of current NATO or US Radar.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by peck420

Do you know of the material they have in mind for the skin of the aircraft capable of withstanding the temperatures, velocities and air pressure associated with such speed?

Genuinely curious.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 05:23 PM
link   

RAB
Hi Guys,

Link:

theaviationist.com...

So the Russians are looking for a MIG31 replacement, So what do you think internal weapons, stealth? Or just high and very fast?

Your thoughts?

Rich
edit on 6-3-2014 by RAB because: Being a dippy fool I stated MIG41 replacement, amended to MIG31 replacement :-)

well....they have just finally signed off on deciding to do a preliminary study to see what might could someday possibly replace the MIG 31.

It's kind of like talking about the possibility of someday maybe getting your girlfriend a promise ring that signifies the possibility of someday maybe getting married.

But there is a reason the SR-71 didn't have armaments and those laws of physics are still an issue today.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 05:26 PM
link   

andy06shake
reply to post by peck420

Do you know of the material they have in mind for the skin of the aircraft capable of withstanding the temperatures, velocities and air pressure associated with such speed?

Genuinely curious.

It must be Adamantium

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by UxoriousMagnus

Or Victalen(Frozen smoke)!
LoL

discaircraft.greyfalcon.us...

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 05:32 PM
link   

andy06shake
reply to post by peck420

Genuinely curious.

I imagine that it will be a composite based around a coated nanotube.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 05:36 PM
link   
If it is based on the Mig-31 it likely won't be too stealthy. I think it is intended to be a pure interceptor missile truck. Dash to target launch as many K-77m's as they can, dash out.
I believe they may have caught wind of something lurking in the shadows that they may need to counter with an aircraft with such capabilities. It will also give them more of a stand off weapon than current systems against any fast moving in-bound targets.
With a healthy espionage network and help from anywhere the can get it they will be able to pull it off but it will be very Russian.
edit on 6-3-2014 by Sammamishman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 05:37 PM
link   

andy06shake
reply to post by RAB

Then there is the engine design, remember if its a fighter plane the engine needs to be easily changeable and reliable, able to function in adverse weather conditions, and achieve mach 4+.

If an aircraft was to be built to be able to reach mach 4, it would need to fly up to the edge of space, 70k ft+, so there would be no weather it would need to worry about when flying at those kinds of speeds.

I dont really think this will happen though. I can see the merit in researching ultra high/ fast flight for scientific/ commercial purposes, but at the end of the day the military research seems to be going more in the direction of drone technology and extra-orbitory weapons. By the time Russia gets a working prototype in the air, the value of having such an aircraft would be long gone. I personally think this one is a dud.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by peck420

That would have been my guess also which is why i rather suspect this is beyond the capabilities of the Russians(For the moment). Not because they don't have the technology or access to said tech, or the ability to design such a craft. But because of the logistics involved in the mass production, maintenance and general reliability factors required to build and field a mach 4+ fighter aircraft.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Reaper62

"If an aircraft was to be built to be able to reach mach 4, it would need to fly up to the edge of space, 70k ft+, so there would be no weather it would need to worry about when flying at those kinds of speeds."

It still needs to get to that altitude and Its supposed to be a fighter aircraft, who the hell is dog fighting at 70,000ft and at mach 4? Better have big fuel tanks!

I wonder what kind of G forces the poor pilots will incur?

UFOs better watch out!
LoL

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by RAB

This was being developed during the cold war by the russians, en.wikipedia.org... as there own version of stealth, it has both advantages and disadvantages such as the fact it could be adapted to extant air frames with little modification but it was less effective than the composit material we use, So I would suggest there next aircraft as they are probably still developing this technology will be a hybrid with fast and efficiant engine's, stealth composite airframe but not as stealthy as ours which will then be compensated for with there plasma stealth system giving less compromised performance for similar reduction in radar signature to our best stealth system's.

edit on 6-3-2014 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by LABTECH767

I think there is some speculation that the Northrop Grumman B-2 Spirit uses some kind of ionised plasma field to extend her range.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by UxoriousMagnus

The YF-12 had no trouble firing an AIM-47 Falcon at Mach 3.2.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by andy06shake

Correct but it was a different concept, the Grummon uses (According to speculation) a method of Magneto ionised propulsion (which probably could not get the plane off the ground or keep it in flight on it's own but it does have advantages) in tandem with it's engines and airframe to reduce fuel cost and also to "improve the aerodynamic property's" of the plane, the russian device used in it's early prototypes on the other hand was an ionising device fitted at the front and ahead of the aircraft which produced a cloud of ionised atmospheric plasma, this had the effect of disrupting radar bounce back, the two technology's would also be fundementally incompatable but hey were there is a black budget there is probably a way and I would assume the guy's in the state's would immediately have developed there own version of the soviet technology to test it to destruction.

edit on 6-3-2014 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join