It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is on top of this lamp post? (pic)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Does anyone know what this thing is? We live in a small 1-story condo community and haven't been able to find out. This thing just popped up one day. I see them popping up on top of light posts all over the neighborhood so I want to know who what where and why. I'm sure there's an explanation, but I need to hear it!

Thanks!

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by raedar

That thing looks intense!

It could very well be part of a mesh for a mobile data terminal (modat) service used by utilities and or law enforcement. Some places use wifi routers in locations like that, but those antennas wouldn't function on wifi frequencies. It's more likely to be one of the modat services.

I'm not an expert, but I do have a working knowledge of these things and that's what I'd imagine these are for.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Looks like gunshot sensor.I see 2 probes(acoustic?) going down and an antenna on top to transmit location.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by raedar

Most likely part of a Wi-Fi network repeater. Could be UHF but the superior technology for municipalities to connect everything together is Wi-Fi.

After the network backbone is in, you can install a camera or gun shot locator anywhere. Police can see all the cameras from their vehicle, all the locations of other assets etc.. Police can manipulate traffic signal, all sorts of stuff.

You can get a Wi-Fi signal strength analyzer for your smart phone. Stand under this thing and see what happens.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 10:01 AM
link   
That's WiFi repeaters for the cops and other city employees that use WiFi. It could also be an 800 MHz repeater for trunking radio systems that may be in use in your city primarily used in "dead spots" that the primary antenna cannot receive. I stated 800 MHz, but it could be vhf or uhf, IDK without a spectrum analyzer. Pretty sure its WiFi, though.
I thought it was neat the way they obtained the power to energize the units with an intermediate plug right under the lights photo-eye.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Looks like the wire is running to the actual light, could be multi system of automated lights and wireless .

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Thanks for all the input! I've spent too much time researching the nano-tech/chemtrail conspiracy, lol! I don't want to be "activated"!

I thought about taking it out with a slingshot and seeing what kind of repair truck showed up!

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by raedar

Don't do that (unless you're disguised, JK).

If you are in Austin Texas, they use UHF signals for law enforcement (453.2375 and 453.3375 P-25 digital). Could be repeaters for that.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by NightFlight

I am in Austin! You folks are on top of the tech. I knew I could get an answer here!

Thank You!

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 10:26 AM
link   
I know that there was a device, although it didn't really look like this, that was intended to be used as a network for "driverless vehicles," but I don't know if they are expanding their tests to your city. I also believe that the energy companies put up devices for various purposes, and have even seen solar panels on streetlights, which I assume are for powering the light itself, but I am not certain.
So aside from those two possibilities, I have no idea what this could be. Sure, I could guess, especially regarding possible nefarious purposes, but that wouldn't help us at all, and could potentially serve to spread false information, which I do not want to do.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Gun shot location device.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by raedar

probably testing air quality.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 11:00 AM
link   
It looks like nothing good...

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   

raedar
reply to post by NightFlight

I am in Austin! You folks are on top of the tech. I knew I could get an answer here!

Thank You!

Alex Jones talks about these things going up all over Austin. Says they are gunshot locators but that they actually listen to voice conversations. Says he has done some "night ops" on many of them......but who knows.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 12:10 PM
link   
My guess, Police/FBI wifi detector/relayer, for easier operation, can monitor from 3 miles away (relayed)

Lets steal it, so we can listen to the police radio.
Think COPS, straight into the action!

ok stealing is bad

so how about making it baseball/football target ? sounds fun

or how about decorate it, I think neon green is earthly color
ok vandalism is bad

maybe somebody can hack into it and turn it into a LAN ? free lan party setup!
yeah lets do that

edit on 6-3-2014 by NullVoid because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by openyourmind1262

I've never heard of such a thing, but of course it has been invented...jeeze lol!

We've noticed increased police/emergency activity in our area, but it is a quiet and low-crime area, overall.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by raedar

If you have never heard on a gun shot location device.....you don't live in the USA do you? All over every major city, they hear the shot and then triangulate between other stations to pin-point a location the shot came from. Sort of like pinging the cell towers to triangulate where a call came from. It gives the LEO's a better accessment of where to go look for the shot that rang out. If you don't by that, ask Mr.Google.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by openyourmind1262

HA! Been in the US my entire life. Perhaps it's because I'm a recovered sheltered liberal. Thanks for the info!

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I'm not sure what it is or does, but it doesn't look very sturdy. One WNY winter and that thing would be in little bits on the ground. Heck one bad storm of any kind and that thing looks like it will fall apart.

And if you really want to know what they are, go to city hall and ask. Maybe "dress up" your conversation with a story of some little hooligans slinging rocks at one and that is why you noticed this odd thing on the lamp-post.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by raedar

No, it;s because TPTB are sneaky bastards. Don't expect your city to explain what they are.. As far as they are concerned...it's none of your business.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join