It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do I see 'dots dancing around' the black light?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   
So I went to a black light party last week. Its like a 'spring break warmup' before my college friends go to cancun or panama city later this month.

Anyways, I just recalled how when I looked at the black lights, some which were mounted around the parlor, and some that friends waving arin, I saw dots dancing around all over, and the black light actually looks a neon purple. Yet my friends said the black light looks like a black or at best, very dark purple, and they dont see any dots dancing around.

The dots look like a really bright violet-blue mini spheres jumping out of the black light tube endlessly. Thousands of them.

Also, how come things like semen look so flourescent under blacklight? Also, why does Tonic water look so flourescent under the light? My gin & tonic was lit up like a radioactive christmas tree. So was some guy who came with very incriminating evidence all over his clothes! We tested saliva and it didnt glow, though. Sorry, thats teens and college kids for ya.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Your not supposed to do 'that' on the blacklight. LOL

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by gardener

chemistry.about.com...

whoops hit post

theres a list of reactive stuff...

what grosses me out the most is the glowing dots on peoples skin.....
edit on 5-3-2014 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Oookay...

Some molecules simply reflect more UV than others, mate. It's the same thing as with red colour - some things will refelect more reds than others.

About the dots now: I don't know. Maybe it's your retina having trouble and making "noise" - we have that all the time in photography when there is hight contrast. I do see "noise" when I look up at a clear blue sky - maybe that's just it.

edit on 5-3-2014 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 12:35 PM
link   

So I went to a black light party last week.

Also, how come things like semen look so flourescent under blacklight?

Sounds like it was quite a party.

Lint floating in the air can glow from the UV radiation, maybe you saw some of that around the blacklight?

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 12:41 PM
link   
I thought the sixties were over.

Anyway, I know a black light can make the cornea in your eye flouresce a little bit which would create a haze around the black light. Maybe that's what you were seeing?

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Wait, your in college and you're just NOW discovering the fun of blacklights?! Oh my!

Mountain Dew looks pretty neat under a black light. They even make body paint that glows -- I've seen people with that before. If you're just starting to play around with a black light, and are in college you'll also need the following:

1. strobe light
2. surround sound
3. disco ball
4. laser projector thing that goes along with the music
5. several mini fridges
6. LOTS of power strips
7. Febreze, Resolve carpet cleaner and 409 (I call it the college clean up combo)
8. black light posters

There ya go buddy -- have a blast! My dorm room had a sign on the door that read, "Club 309" (my room number was 309).

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 12:42 PM
link   
It could be similar to blue field entoptic phenomenon. I cannot explain it with justice so Google it. What you are speaking of sounds similar and violet field spectrum is very close to blue field spectrum.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Well, I can see really well in dark conditions and since I've been on a mostly raw, totally vegan diet, my eyes and skin have gotten even lighter despite living in so cal and getting lots of risky sun gardenin.. (I get called an albino, though I have naturally jet black hair!) and now I can see even better in ther dark; I'm guessing less pigment in the eye like in my skin is practically absent so like a cat's eye that allows more light in.

Maybe there will be a discovery in coming years that us raw vegans with certain proteins missing in our diet enables the retina to be more sensitive and/or the lens more translucent to even one UV light!

I know the retina is capable of registering UV light, but the human lens is not normally translucent to UV light, so maybe there is a slight change at molecular makeup of lens in vegans or persons like myself who are considered dark haired albinos.

I have read that Claude Monet had his lens removed in the 1920s and then became able to see uv light in paints thus why some of the paintings (lilies?) may have even more to them than meets the 'eye'

The thread about the symbols on calves reminded me about the black light observation.

Anyways, so its that certain proteins, chemical are more phosporescent than others that explains why some body fluids may flouresce and others dont?

I remember years ago a doctor advised me to stay away from black lights because I would 'glow' and my body skin does but my face didnt much cause I have developed a 'ruddiness' to my complexion from gardening over decades now, where though not tanned, its permanently a more reddish pale than whitish pale.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 01:10 PM
link   

lysacid
It could be similar to blue field entoptic phenomenon. I cannot explain it with justice so Google it. What you are speaking of sounds similar and violet field spectrum is very close to blue field spectrum.

EUREKA, LYSACID, THAT'S IT!!!!! sanku sanku sankuuu!

en.wikipedia.org...

The blue field entoptic phenomenon or Scheerer's phenomenon (after the German ophthalmologist Richard Scheerer, who first drew clinical attention to it in 1924[1]) is the appearance of tiny bright dots (nicknamed blue-sky sprites) moving quickly along squiggly lines in the visual field, especially when looking into bright blue light such as the sky.[2] The dots are short-lived, visible for a second or less, and traveling short distances along seemingly random, curvy paths. Some of them follow the same path as predecessors. The dots may be elongated along the path like tiny worms. The dots appear in the central field of view, within 10 to 15 degrees from the fixation point.[3] The left and right eye see different dots; someone looking with both eyes sees a mixture.
Most people are able to see this phenomenon. However, it is rather weak, and many people don’t notice it until asked to pay attention.]/b]

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 01:24 PM
link   
God I miss school.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 01:39 PM
link   
It's never too late.. I've seen senior citizen folk matriculated in freshman classes working towards a ba... several!

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

There ya go buddy -- have a blast! My dorm room had a sign on the door that read, "Club 309" (my room number was 309).

Gosh I never would've expected that from a member with the name MystikMushroom.
edit on 3/5/2014 by Chamberf=6 because: k not c

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 04:03 AM
link   

No problem. I am glad some of the amassed random information I am carrying around could help someone.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Certain fabric and dust particles in the air will glow when a black light is on.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Hi, im from the phil i can also see those dancing lights when i look in the clowdy sky. When im focusing on it. It goes more clearer. I just wonder, im never seen this before until i practice meditating. I also see rainbow colors every where when i staire and focusing but its clear as a actual rainbow but it so many and diff direction help me plz...

new topics

top topics

join