It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New research challenges the traditional view of sleep paralysis - Cure Found

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 09:28 AM
link   

According to Chris White and his new book, many who suffer from this affliction sense an evil presence near them and are often even attacked physically or sexually by the presence. "We think the reason the medical community has been unable to cure sleep paralysis is because they are approaching it as merely a physical condition instead of a spiritual one," describes author Chris White. He claims the concept of a spiritual cause of sleep paralysis has some merit since the hypothesis can be tested. When the condition is treated as though it were caused by an evil spirit, it goes away. Through the use of the methods proposed by White, many have been cured permanently. You can see many testimonies of this at stopsleepparalysis.org...

New research challenges the traditional view of sleep paralysis - Cure Found

Even if the medical community doesnt agree that the cause of sleep paralysis is spiritual in nature, they should at least try to figure out why treating is as a spiritual phenomenon cures it. Maybe they can find out why it works.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Amenti

So does summing this up to "Its all in your head" feel ok? Maybe like the Placebo effect too..

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Thisbseth

all of this is in YOUR head, you just don't have any idea how big your head really is....

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Ignore - double post
edit on 5-3-2014 by DazDaKing because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Thisbseth
reply to post by Amenti

So does summing this up to "Its all in your head" feel ok? Maybe like the Placebo effect too..

If that's the case, lets just say it is the MOST impressive and realistic 'creation' your brain will ever manifest in your whole life. I'm speaking as someone who had such a 'sleep paralysis' experience, and it literally turned me from being a stone-cold atheist and non-believer of the super natural into an agnostic with an openness to the supernatural. It was that powerful for me, and before I had even read about others experiences or ideas on it my gut instinct was telling me I had encountered an 'evil' presence that WAS real in some sense.

Please understand I am not a stranger to fear. I grew up in a war and I've been in life threatening situations. Throughout my life I've had relatively realistic dreams and nightmares compared to other people including things such as the sensation of pain in a dream. My 'sleep paralysis' experience transcended all of my previous Earthly experiences by a significant amount. It blew my mind open.

Now...to this day, I can't comprehend why and how my brain would manufacture such an experience out of the blue. I am not claiming it is 100% a spiritual entity but believe me when I say until you've experienced it yourself you cannot comprehend it. You will just think of it like a dream and hence play it off as a dream.

It's not limited to sleep either. I know a person who had such an experience while praying and it mirrored mine significantly, which shocked me. He was also paralysed for a short time but regained control half way through the encounter. I will list both our encounters in detail and some others of my friends if people are willing to listen.

The problem with this thing is that most intellectual people renounce anything supernatural passionately, and I am more often than not surrounded by intelligent people. When an intelligent person is presented with my story, or any other persons regarding sleep paralysis, they are effectively presented with two options (consciously or not). These two options being: disregard your personal paradigm of understanding that you've held throughout your whole life or are currently holding to accept this one persons story as supernatural - OR - simply explain it away using a facet of your personal paradigm of knowledge.

99.999% of people will go for the second option - hence why personal experience is so important here.

It is a topic that interests me greatly as I find it difficult to explain in a concise, logical manner through the tools of science. Ultimately, I believe these experiences either have an inherent meaning relating to your personal psyche/higher consciousness or they really are entities outside our normal sensory perception playing with us. I highly doubt it is a random effect of a random chemical release and nothing else.

Peace

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by DazDaKing

If that's the case, lets just say it is the MOST impressive and realistic recreation your brain will ever create in your whole life. I'm speaking as someone who had such a 'sleep paralysis' experience, and it literally turned me from being a stone-cold atheist and non-believer of the super natural into an agnostic with a belief in the supernatural. It was that powerful for me - before I had even read about others experiences or ideas on it my gut instinct was telling me I had encountered an 'evil' presence that WAS real in some sense.

I experienced a sleep paralysis episode a few years ago. Only time it has ever happened to me, but I remember it very vividly because of how frightening it was. There was a very real sense that some sort of sinister presence was pinning me down on my bed. When I started reading into it I found that 99% of sleep paralysis episodes are the same, the person will report an evil presence holding them down on the bed and it usually happens as they are trying to get to sleep. The high degree of consistency between all the reports I've read strongly indicate to me that it's some type of mental illusion. Why would evil spirits go around pinning people down to their bed, why would they do it exactly the same way every time and why would it always be when the person is trying to go to sleep? The obvious answer is that the brain generates the event during the intermediate period where the brain is shifting between consciousness and sleep. For some reason it just happens to create an effect which makes people believe it's an evil entity of some type.

The reason why this treatment works is because many people are convinced that sleep paralysis is a spiritual experience, and they cannot be convinced otherwise, so when they get a treatment which confirms their beliefs it creates a stronger placebo effect.
edit on 5/3/2014 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I have regular sleep paralysis. Ive had ot since I was a kid and still have it a few times a month.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Elijah23
reply to post by Thisbseth

all of this is in YOUR head, you just don't have any idea how big your head really is....

You beat me to it..

Thisbseth
reply to post by Amenti

Not to me.. For me I can tell times when it might happen based on how my brain feels. It seems for me at least there is some neurotransmitter interruption or something with serotonin maybe. I feel like my consciousness can't reconnect with my body. I don't think it is like my body is numb, it's just I am not there to move it. One thing that gave me this idea is that I can see through things like my closed eyes.

Placebo and all in your head is funny to have in the same point. Placebo is not in your head. Unless you mean the whole world is just in your head.

I don't think SP is Spiritual in the sense of it coming from "bad spirits" 95% of the time. It really feels like a focus issue. Getting back in tune with your body. Though I have had other experiences with Demonic like things that makes me have to leave the other 5% open.

I've been "attacked" while standing up for instance and lost my body. I was back in it 5 minutes later paralyzed. In this case it had nothing to do with sleep. It was more like my spirit was connected to my body in certain places and especially my consciousness was connected in my brain, but it was ripped out, by an amazing force.

Most of the time I think What is actually going on is that your spirit is the presence you feel and your body is scared of it. When your spirit gets back into your body you can move again.

Or In psychological terms your EGO is VERY afraid of the subconscious world it can find itself in right at the beginning or end of sleep. Usually your ego if still conscious prevents sleep, but if you are really tired or if you practice things like meditation you can have both, which also leads to lucid dreaming.
edit on 5-3-2014 by KnightLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Maybe someone should petition the US government for disclosure.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Amenti

You don't even have to call on Jesus Christ directly.
All you have to do is focus on White Light of Love and Protection, or even just focus on Love and they will flee from you.
They cannot stand in The Presence of Love because God is Love and Love casts out Fear.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Sometimes I think SP is spiritual, sometimes not, here's an example of one of my not spiritual SP episodes:

Summertime, late in the evening, I’m at home and I’m on the sofa. Star Trek is on. Captain Kirk is trying to win this week’s battle against evil by convincing the aliens that ruling through Might is Not Right. Sometime during his courageous speech (they’re about to kill him) I drift off knowing that Spock will save the day.

I was roused from my sleep by a feeling that I was not alone. Glancing around I saw that the TV was still on with an infomercial telling me that I couldn’t live without the Lifecycle, that it would change my life as it had changed others; and here were the others to tell all about it. “Oh, it’s the stupid TV”. I tried to reach for the remote to turn it off but I couldn’t. I was paralyzed, completely paralyzed. Once again the feeling that someone was in the room overwhelmed me and I was terrified. Looking up from my prone position, still unable to move I tried to see who was there. The room was dark, the only light coming from the TV. I couldn’t see anyone and yet I knew that some threatening evil was there nonetheless.

My prayers came easily and from the heart as I struggled against my invisible bonds. I fought until my strength was sapped and I was soaked with sweat. I was trapped and then, as if on cue, IT appeared. IT was slender. IT was short. IT was gray with huge black eyes. IT was a Gray alien and it was gliding across the floor towards me. I tried to scream, to run, to fight but the invisible force generated by the Gray still held me.

The Gray leaned over me bringing its face so close to mine that its eyes filled my vision. They were huge, black, almond shaped eyes that for some reason seemed to have a calming effect on me. The Gray put its hand (very strange fingers?) on my nose and I felt a sharp sting as if a needle had been inserted. “Oh my God, it’s putting an implant in my nose!” I thought. “No! Please don’t do this!” And then I realized the Gray was communicating with me somehow. IT wanted me to wake up. IT was patting my nose with ITs paw. IT was purring. IT was my cat sitting on my chest.

THE END

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I wrote this episode up for a story entry, though it is true.
edit on 3/5/2014 by seentoomuch because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I have had it many times in my life, and I've been terrified every time. A typical episode lasts about 5-10 seconds with me sending superman-sized signals to my limbs begging them to move. I start reconnecting to my body in the toes and then start kicking myself awake. There has always been the perceived presence of evil somewhere in the room.

A few years ago, I started reading books about OBEs and how they are connected to SP. More than one author claimed that they are not scary if you relax and take a moment to asses the situation. Nothing scary is happening, you're just trapped between sleep and wake. There is a natural mental function that stops your limbs from moving while asleep. It's a great evolutionary survival tool, because it keeps us all from walking over cliffs in our sleep.

Anyway, the last time it happened I was ready. I wanted to use it a launchpad for an OBE. That didn't work, because my theta brain convinced me that this was a legitimate abduction attempt! I really believed the greys had come to get me and I needed to struggle for my ability to move. How absurd, there was no REALITY FILTER present. Just like in dreams, the most ridiculous improbable events pass as everyday occurrences, without a second thought.

The key is too stay lucid. Remember that in dreams, the slightest fear can snowball into a nightmare because anything you imagine can manifest immediately. Dreaming awake is more common than people think, it's called a HALLUCINATION

How many people would believe in lucid dreams? Probably the majority of people. Now, how many people would believe in dreaming while awake? Probably not as many, but they are both equally possible. I have auditory hallucinations all the time of people talking gibberish in the back of my subconscious mind. It's probably just rogue theta waves, not evil spirits.

So to sum up this rambling post: Don't be afraid of SP, I promise you there is a logical explanation for it and the feeling it gives you of being in a horror movie. Next time, try to roll with it.

Edit to add (and this important) that before falling asleep to the abduction nightmare I watched 2 solid hours of UFO shows on Netflix and fell asleep with my back to the room. I rarely watch that stuff, but it holds my attention.
edit on 5-3-2014 by DeadGhost because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by DazDaKing

You sound like you might be marginally or better open to Guy Malone's research after his teen experiences of same. He has more than 400 cases in his files at this point.

His websites:

www.alienstranger.com...

www.ancientofdays.net...

www.alienresistance.org...

His youtubes:

www.youtube.com... 0...1ac.1.11.youtube.pul-p6LCH2I

IF you care to fair-mindedly consider his panel of experts' conclusions . . . etc., I'd be keenly interested in your responses.

Thx for your candid post. I have no trouble believing you, at all. And I don't think it was all in your head.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 10:51 AM
link   
When the conciousness doesn't have control of the body, something else will try to use it

When we are awakening, there is a delay in the anesthetic stopping. This anesthetic evolved so we wouldnt fall out of trees or off cliffs, while sleeping/dreaming.

Sometimes that delay is longer than others. During that time, I theorize that negative energy is drawn to the body that is still alive, but without sub/conscious spirit control/protecting it.

It has been my experience that prayers and commands are the only statements that ward off this evil, hooded, faceless, dark entity.

Why do most, virtually all sleep paralysis stories include a threat rather than a delight?! Think about it..
edit on 5-3-2014 by gardener because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 10:55 AM
link   

gardener
Why do most, virtually all sleep paralysis stories include a threat rather than a delight?! Think about it..

DeadGhost
in dreams, the slightest fear can snowball into a nightmare because anything you imagine can manifest immediately.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 11:02 AM
link   

DeadGhost
in dreams, the slightest fear can snowball into a nightmare because anything you imagine can manifest immediately.

I understand that concept used to explain why most all sleep paralysis stories involve fear or terror, however it has not been my experience.

Though I no longer fear the negative entity, nor the temporaneous paralysis upon waking sometimes, the dark entity still occasionally appears and says 'threats' that I no longer find threatening, no longer buy.

I would like to imagine something else for a change, if it just hallucination. Say, an entity like an evil white-cloaked dark wizard, for instance. Or, an angel saying something non-threatening, for a change since its supposed to be a hallucination. (Or an oasis in a hallucinated desert we can't walk over to while we're paralyzed=)

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by gardener

That's very interesting if what you say is true. I have personally never seen anything, and I haven't beaten the fear yet. I once thought a black figure was hovering over me as I lay on my back, only to fully wake and find that I was on my side instead. The black figure was my wife's silhouette in front of me. I remember thinking "holy sh1t, this is really happening." The relief was beyond words when it wasn't a demon. This is one of the most interesting subjects in my opinion. The experience is eerily similar for everyone.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Well I don't know, because he talks about sleep paralysis in the typically negative way, which I don't agree with. Yes people have scary experiences in sleep paralysis, simply because they are scared. It's related to dreaming, and the subconscious. If you feel scared, you will project scary sights and sounds. I have experienced quite a lot of sleep paralysis in my life, being a regular lucid dreamer. It's honestly never really scared me. As a result, I've never perceived any dark entities or any such things. I actually think it is a useful spiritual state. The one time I successfully astral projected it was out of sleep paralysis. I have also learned that you can create ANY perception you would like out of it. If you can avoid reactionary fear, you can literally create any sight/sound/feeling you would like. You basically just have to imagine it, and you'll perceive it. Actually, I haven't had sleep paralysis in a while and would like to again...perhaps could astral project again.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I've had some very interesting experiences related to sleep paralysis. The first one scared me but once I understood what was happening, I try to evaluate the experience.

I've had a couple oddities that felt similar to sleep paralysis but it was more like I had 2 physical bodies and one was in another dimension/plane. My eyes were open and I could see around the room but the 5 senses felt a little "off". I could tell that I was feeling around the bed, grabbing the sheets, and moving my arms but my arms and hands weren't actually moving. What I felt and what I saw myself doing were not the same. Eventually I snapped out of it and started moving my arms.

I've also had extremely realistic "dreams" where I woke up, got out of bed, started getting ready for my day with a shower and such... then I actually woke up and was very confused because I thought I was already awake. It definitely makes one wonder about parallel timelines and so forth.

The strangest one I've had didn't feel like a dream at all. I was in my apartment but it was darker, colder, and there was a misty fog around me. I was trying to walk to the door because I felt like I should get out but it was extremely difficult to move. I looked behind me and there was a thin, flowing silver thread running behind me to the bed where I was shocked to see my body still laying. I panicked and went into "wake up now!" mode.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 12:49 PM
link   

gardener

I would like to imagine something else for a change, if it just hallucination. Say, an entity like an evil white-cloaked dark wizard, for instance. Or, an angel saying something non-threatening, for a change since its supposed to be a hallucination. (Or an oasis in a hallucinated desert we can't walk over to while we're paralyzed=)

You can perceive anything you like. I have first hand experience with this. Just imagine what you would like to perceive, in a focused kind of way. If you keep thinking about what you typically see, and still believe you'll see it, that would probably make it difficult. But I know you can alter your perception in sleep paralysis in this way.
edit on 5-3-2014 by TheJourney because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join