It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does getting Banned mean forever?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 11:24 PM
link   
I not even sure we're allowed to talk about this... lol

So i'll just ask a question...

IF you get banned on this forum, Is it temporary or a lifetime sentence?

Im sure there are former members who might have made mistakes, and would like to come back if they promise to be good...

This isn't a plea for anyone, I was just wondering...

Though admittedly there are many people I would like to see return

edit on 4-3-2014 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Honestly?

There's a ban and then there's a BAN.

Many accounts have been banned. Most of them sign up again, don't act a fool and we never bother them again.

Like anything else, there's only so much the staff can put up with from repeat offenders. Those ones get banned on sight after they've burnt all the bridges.

~Tenth

ETA: I wanna be clear though, there's no cookie cutter process for banning an account. Everything is taken case by case, and all of the members history both good and bad are discussed. This may sound cliche but we hate banning them more than they hate getting banned.

edit on 3/4/2014 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

That's interesting. I wasn't sure of all the mechanics that go into a ban. I was also scared to ask this question.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 12:02 AM
link   
There's one member in particular I'd like to see come back, she was one of the better ones in my opinion. Hopefully it's not a lifetime ban, that would be a shame.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by brazenalderpadrescorpio

Every staff action usually follows a discussion and consensus. Not just bans.

Nothing is done arbitrarily back here. I'm too busy posting the boards to be looking for problems anyway. I would say that more than 70% of all staff actions were initiated by a member complaint. So we need you guys to help us. And we're glad you do.

~Tenth

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Well if you need our help, perhaps there might be conferences for potential returning members?

Perhaps a "Ban appeal" forum?

Even criminals get probation... usually

edit on 5-3-2014 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 12:13 AM
link   

I only complained about somebody once... and that's when I was really new. Lol.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

If we take the step of banning someone, there is always a good reason for it. We really do try very hard to NOT ban people. But sometimes no matter how hard we try there is no choice.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 12:18 AM
link   

reply to post by Akragon

Im sure there are former members who might have made mistakes, and would like to come back if they promise to be good...

There is no brokering or negotiations, at least for those wanting to keep their head up...you just sign back up via a new IP or proxy and tone it down.

The staff, or at least those involved in the decision making process, seem to take the view that if you want to come back, you have to adapt.

Seems fair enough IMO. And like any good Iteration, you get a better product the next time around.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

If we take the step of banning someone, there is always a good reason for it.

No...

Using the word always is a no-go...

There have been members banned and let back in after behind the scenes discussions, so to say there is always a good reason is a fallacy.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 12:35 AM
link   
reply to post by facelift

Yes they were allowed back, but bannings are not capricious. There is a reason that step was taken. Just because they were allowed back doesn't mean there wasn't a reason for it in the first place.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 12:41 AM
link   

facelift

If we take the step of banning someone, there is always a good reason for it.

No...

Using the word always is a no-go...

There have been members banned and let back in after behind the scenes discussions, so to say there is always a good reason is a fallacy.

But then they were not actually 'banned', they were suspended until the case was reviewed in depth and no reason to ban them was found, then they were allowed to come back. On the other hand, if a valid reason was found, they will actually be banned (the account will not be enabled again, ever)

There's always a good reason to ban them (when it does happen) and in some cases there's always a good reason to allow them back (after suspending their accounts until further review and notice)
edit on 5-3-2014 by Kaifan because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 12:43 AM
link   

There is a reason that step was taken.

Thank you for illustrating my point - behind the scenes discussions take place as a safeguard against unrighteous bannings...

But, then again, we have little to worry about as the Staff keeps it tight-right for the most part.

Thanks Staff..!

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 12:45 AM
link   

edit on 5-14-2015 by Springer because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

As we don't discuss staff actions with anybody but those directly involved, that would cause some kind of drama.

Banned members are welcome to petition the staff via the contact us page.

-Tenth

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 12:50 AM
link   

And why can't we give stars in this section of the forum?

This thread has been quite informative...

Stars for everyone if I see ya around..

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Lol, if its that hard for you to think of "temporary suspension until your case is reviewed" and "banned because we found you have gone against the terms of use of this site" then.. its cool...

In any case, i don't care, have fun

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Which is what has been said from the start.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 03:32 AM
link   
I have a question which has bugged me a little bit......

There are a couple of older, respected members who have been banned at some point which made no sense (although background u2u arguments may have been the issue, I don't honestly know).

The question is, if a member has had enough, and asks a staff to terminate their accounts, would it then show them as banned?
edit on 5/3/14 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 03:34 AM
link   
@OP: The more severe bans can be up to 500 years...but by no means "forever".
edit on 2014 by Skyfloating because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join