It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question about dark matter.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by ArtemisE

I thought gravity was caused by the twisting of time space by massive objects. That's always been my understanding.

Do you really believe that or is it just what you've read?

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

I truly feel that anyone that marvels at the wonders of creation cannot be an atheist. That's just my opinion. I can easily see an atheist arguing with me, but only they in their heart know what they truly feel.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by brazenalderpadrescorpio

Don't you think its funny how everything follows a set of rules, almost like there's an authority governing the rules of the universe?

With no context how could you know if i was speaking about god or not?

Think about it from a godless perspective, what governs the set of rules the universe is built on?

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 12:19 AM
link   

onequestion
Ok ok, calculations but we have no idea what were looking at to be perfectly honest.
If you said it's our best guess I'd agree, but to say we have no idea what we're looking at sounds pretty ignorant to be perfectly honest. We have lots of observations and they rule out enough ideas to narrow down the possibilities to the extent that yes, we do have an idea of what we are looking at.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Sound doesn't "exist" as a thing. It's just how we register vibrations thru our atmosphere. There is no sound in space. No atmosphere to use as a medium. Vibration could have an effect on gravity or resonance. But not sound.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

What are we looking at in the cosmos then?

Micro and macro explanations please....

I would say its arrogant not ignorant to think we know what were looking at from a greater perspective when peering into the cosmos.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 12:21 AM
link   

We do, because we are God. That's what I believe, anyway.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Explain cymatics then....

It seems to me like sound whatever it is has some sort of authority of the "shape" of matter...

I call them sound structures, looks a lot like whaat??

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 12:24 AM
link   

So are you the authority governing the set of rules used by the universe to create what we have to experience?

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 12:24 AM
link   

I believe that's the "standard model" way of explaining it. The more massive the object the more " twisting" of time space. The more gravity the object has. Atleast I'm pretty sure that's the accepted explanation.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 12:25 AM
link   

It's not only possible but it's probable... All forces are connected!

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Why is it accepted?

Accepted or proven?

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 12:28 AM
link   

I believe that I unknowingly create what I experience.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Toromos
It's gravity that keeps galaxies together. Is that what you're asking? Perhaps dark matter accounts for the gravity needed to keep galaxies together.

Yeah. That is the theory. I'm wondering if, instead of dark matter, the metric expansion of space could explain why the galaxy doesn't fly apart.

Space is expanding between galaxies, but seems to be staying constant within the galaxy. Since gravity is the warping of space, could the warped space, being constant compared to expanding space, have enough "space density" to hold the galaxy together and keep it from flying out into a more expanded space?

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by smithjustinb

Dark matter (or a gravitational force or effect which is yet to be defined) is theorized to hold individual galaxies together and dark energy is theorized to be responsible for the accelerating expansion of the universe (unless space itself is stretching).

link   
Please try to stay on topic.

link   

How could anyone, athiest or not, not stare in awe at the Hubble pics. The Grand Canyon. Hell, just the night sky in the country. Only someone who bought into " everything good is from god and everything not of god is evil" bs. Would ever believe this kinda thing. Athiests not feeling awe or wonder while observing the natural world really is comical. You've been letting the talking heads fill your brain with garbage.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by smithjustinb

Show me where they've proven that gravity is the warping of space?

Conclusive evidence supported by math.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 12:33 AM
link   

I think you mean resonance not sound.... I know what you mean tho.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 12:33 AM
link   

I was going to respond to your comment, but I don't want to get in trouble for going off-topic. That just happened to me recently. I do have a good reply, though!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join