It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1 in 10 Americans think HTML is an STD, study finds

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

Must be age, Starting to suffer from packet loss too

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Lol, somehow I am not surprised. Twenty-five percent of Americans don't know the earth orbits the Sun either. Sad, sad day for the U.S. news.discovery.com...
edit on 5-3-2014 by SpeakerofTruth because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-3-2014 by SpeakerofTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

Is that even a serious question? Really? Making "justifications" for ignorance are we?

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 11:04 AM
link   
further fun facts from the same study:

- 77% of respondents could not identify what SEO means. SEO stands for "Search-Engine Optimization"

- 27% identified "gigabyte" as an insect commonly found in South America. A gigabyte is a measurement unit for the storage capacity of an electronic device.

- 42% said they believed a "motherboard" was "the deck of a cruise ship." A motherboard is usually a circuit board that holds many of the key components of a computer.

- 23% thought an "MP3" was a "Star Wars" robot. It is actually an audio file. - 18% identified "Blu-ray" as a marine animal. It is a disc format typically used to store high-definition videos.

- 15% said they believed "software" is comfortable clothing. Software is a general term for computer programs.

- 12% said "USB" is the acronym for a European country. In fact, USB is a type of connector.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Don't you believe a word of that study.

I got HTML in Tijuana Mexico in 1982.

It took two weeks and 1000 units of SEO to clear it up.

Don't drink the worm...

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Well, apparently a lot of people are have some pretty inappropriate relations with their computers.........................

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   

GrantedBail

1 out of 3 Americans couldn't find The Ukraine on a friggin map. This is news??

1 out of 2 Americans couldn't tell you what the first ten amendments of the Bill of Rights happen to be.

This is the litmus test??

Please.

Ask them who the top contestants are on "Dancing with the Stars", and ding ding ding...we have a winner.

edit on 4-3-2014 by GrantedBail because: (no reason given)[/eiditby]
Bill of rights? What bill of rights? Where have you been? You have the right to sing the blues, you have the right to cable TV. You have the right to chicken done right. extra DIV

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Wrabbit2000
reply to post by Nyiah

Best one yet was a question she asked once about a Java update, "Java? Why does my computer need coffee?? Where do the grounds go?"

*LOL*

Okay... I've wondered for a long time if I'd come across something to beat the 'built in retractable cup holder on the front!'....and I'd almost given up. Asking where the coffee grounds go for Java puts the cherry on the cupcake. Indeed.

Thanks for a great laugh to start the day!

Be glad she's not your mother, Wrabbit. She's a 60 year old bottle blond, and has (or lacks?) the brains of one, lol. Remind me to tell you about the time she insisted 300 feet was just a mere 3 stories once (bringing this up is my husband's favorite comeback to this day for anything she tries to feign knowledge in)

I'm waiting for someone to say they know someone who's feared the admin permission request box that pops up is a hacker. You know this has to have happened somewhere!

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   

That's really not a very significant percentage when you recall that intelligence isn't static across the board but, instead, resides on a bell curve. Additionally, it's not necessarily even a matter of intelligence but technological ignorance. That 10% could be inclusive of the very elderly who have never once touched a computer for all we know. Most people aren't going to know the technical terms for computer technology and really, why should they if it's not really their profession? Yeah, it's nice to know the lingo when you have a computer because it tips one out of the end user pile just a bit. However, presuming that everybody should know what HTML, gigabyte, or what SEO stands for is forgetting that we also don't require learning the name of all the bones within the human body. Just about everybody has all of those bones but not everybody can name them all.

And heck, I can rip apart my computer and rebuild it. I now how to do tracerts, reset my ip configuration, and I've even learned some coding. I have other gamers running to me to help troubleshoot their computer problems and I've lost count of the number of times that I've walked a fellow gamer through repairing a botched up OS without reinstalling via chat. Did I know what SEO stood for? Nope because, frankly, knowing that terminology has zero purpose in my life.

I can, however, name all of the bones in the human body. Way more pertinent.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 01:55 PM
link   

DeadSeraph
further fun facts from the same study:

- 77% of respondents could not identify what SEO means. SEO stands for "Search-Engine Optimization"

Lets hope it stays that way. Less competition.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Why so negative?

Why not say 9 outta 10 Americans know HTML isn't a STD?

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 02:09 PM
link   

I'm confused. What's so bad about a bunch of people not knowing jargon for a certain industry? I'm going to throw some military jargon at you, let me know if you understand them all without using Google:
MLRS
FA
latrine
foxtrot
parade rest
double time

Not to say that Americans in large part aren't uniformed, I just think that technical terms for computers isn't a good judge of that uninformedness.
edit on 5-3-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Krazysh0t

I know those terms but only because I was in a position to learn them. Totally agree with your point. Based on my own profession, I bring to the table these terms:

Put Option
Call Option
ROI
FASB
IFRS
Net realizable value
AICPA

How many know what these terms and acronyms mean without looking them up? They do have an effect on your lives. Why don't you know them?

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I am not sure what the importance of a study like this is.

I could throw out 5-10 Unified Communications\Telecom terms and say "wth how could people not know what that is"
A Dr can do the same in medicine.
A mechanic could do the same with cars.
A solider could do the same with military terms.

Some people are IT or tech people and some are not, neither indicates anything to me.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 03:51 PM
link   

PhoenixOD

SLAYER69

Raises hand sheepishly..

I caught the HTML while online once, not naughty sites I swear.

Wasn't pretty, now I wear latex gloves while surfing...

Its mainly spread by the Packet Internet Groper (PING) and people probing back doors.

edit on 5-3-2014 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

And fingering. Why does everyone forget fingering? I mean, sure, it went out if style, but still... everyone always forgets. No wonder it's 1 in 10, and not 1 in 12.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Libertygal

PhoenixOD

SLAYER69

Raises hand sheepishly..

I caught the HTML while online once, not naughty sites I swear.

Wasn't pretty, now I wear latex gloves while surfing...

Its mainly spread by the Packet Internet Groper (PING) and people probing back doors.

edit on 5-3-2014 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

And fingering. Why does everyone forget fingering? I mean, sure, it went out if style, but still... everyone always forgets. No wonder it's 1 in 10, and not 1 in 12.

Some things should never go out of style

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 07:51 PM
link   

What a ridiculous survey. Is this meant to be act as more propaganda about Americans being unintelligent? Why because some don't know what HTML is? Since when is HTML vital for human survival or even sending an email?

I'd love to see the results of the same survey done in other countries...

18 and older, eh? Im sure the younger folks scored quite well on this. But how many of those less than 3k people who took this survey (and are supposed to represent the knowledge a country of over 300 million) were over the age of 50 I wonder? I know my parents probably don't understand many of these technological terms either. But how many 65 yr olds in this world do. And are they less intelligent for it..

So stupid

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Krazysh0t

I'm confused. What's so bad about a bunch of people not knowing jargon for a certain industry? I'm going to throw some military jargon at you, let me know if you understand them all without using Google:
MLRS
FA
latrine
foxtrot
parade rest
double time

Not to say that Americans in large part aren't uniformed, I just think that technical terms for computers isn't a good judge of that uninformedness.

FA is the only one with too many meanings and the first to mind not being repeatable within T&C. I've probably read a couple (dozen) different books on military topics too. So, it does help.

I wouldn't expect most Americans who don't work with websites to know what HTML stands for. I'd expect a good % wouldn't know it's a language for website code.

It is interesting that people wouldn't know the term has something vaguely to do with computers though, since references to it are pretty much cultural at this point for TV and Media at various levels.

More importantly though, and certainly more disturbing here? It shows how little Americans know about STDs, when one wants to look at it that way.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Not to be a wiseass and I'm sure someone else has already said it, but it is an STD of sorts :p

And acutally, 9 out of 10 knowing that HTML isn't an STD is a good thing (I'm not assuming all of those 9 actually do know what it is).

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 04:41 AM
link   

Krazysh0t

MLRS
FA
latrine
foxtrot
parade rest
double time

Ok il try. Non military here.
MLRS: rocket system
Latrine: toliet.
Foxtrot: class of submarine or call sign
Double time: a form of quick martch
Dont know:
Parade rest or FA
Though fa il guess as field artillary?
edit on 6-3-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join