It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teen Sues Parents for Cash, College Tuition. Does She Have a Case?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Well shucks! I missed it!

Well, don't just sit there!! Tell us how it turned out!

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 08:13 AM
link   

sled735
Tell us how it turned out!

The clips I saw, as well as the pictures of the girl, tell the story. She oozed 'attitude' - IMHO. Honestly, if I were her mother, instead of saying 'we love you please come home and follow house rules' ... I'd kick her out (the girl left on her own accord) and then change the locks on the doors AND get a security system installed to make sure she couldn't come in and steal something. I wouldn't give her a dime.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Judge denies Rachel Canning financial support. ‘Such gross disrespect!’

A couple more snips.

Judge Peter Bogaard refused to issue the girl’s request for more than $600 a week in immediate financial aid.

One of those disrespectful rants includes the contents of a voicemail Rachel Canning had left her mother which was read in court.

Told the judge: ‘I wanna s*** all over your face’, he said: ‘Have you ever in your experience seen such gross disrespect for a parent? I don’t see it in my house.’

The judge, went on to add that Rachel Canning had given her mom and dad, Sean: ‘The proverbial f you.’

Full Story here

Had I ever spoke to my parents like that, I would expect a well deserved butt whipping and put a bar of soap in my mouth myself!

edit on 5-3-2014 by MrLimpet because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 10:05 AM
link   
I found this vid to be enlightening and educational.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by MrLimpet

well, at the age of 18 there would be no soap in the mouth. But my dad would have given me a proper WWE beatdown.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 10:44 AM
link   

WhiteAlice
So yeah, kids actually need their parents help these days. Absolutely. Saw all of this firsthand, myself. I really feel for this girl if she doesn't win her case. She'll be screwed.

I already see the negative comments rolling in based on the above thought. However, despite what they THINK you are right, there is not doubt about it, but people are still living in denial about the current job market and what it takes to get a foot in the door to a real career and not some easily laid-off admin position. Those against this sentiment are what I call, typical 20th century thinkers, totally out of touch with how school, skills and the job market NOW function together. The 20th century way of going about and getting a job is absolutely not relevant today. Before I begin here is an update to her story. It seems the judge has ruled against her claim for the tuition due to the high school:

gma.yahoo.com...

Honestly I'm quite surprised, I thought for sure the parents would be on the hook for the High School tuition because they signed the contract with the school when she was a minor. Perhaps the school can, put them in collections, sue them and allow her to graduate, but throwing the debt back onto the parents.

Now for my opinion on the details. I doubt many here are familiar with the process needed to get into top universities these days.

First off, she will not be considered "poor" by any admissions board at a top school, so even if she is totally on her own from here out and not dependent on them in any way, she will need to produce what an admissions board "expects" from a top performing upper middle class high school student and the university will EXPECT her parents to be available to "foot bills" as needed. In order for her to move on to the Universities that accepted her at his point, means she will need a diploma from that top ranked private high school, not the local public high school, this is not an optional step as some here may believe. If her diploma comes from any school other than the one she attended up to now, her admission prospects will change dramatically. This means certainly that her scholarship would be taken away (not maybe, DEFINITELY). Also I'd bet my house that if she did transfer to a local public high school at this point that they would not count some of her catholic school coursework, meaning, there is a mild possibility that she would need to re-do her senior year OR attend night/summer school beyond her current projected graduation date, so she gets to become a "super-senior", 5 year HS graduate. Also her parents must fill out and sign her FASFA at some point. If they choose not to, she cannot accept or use her existing scholarships. At this point those scholarships are effectively void, assuming here high school diploma will not be issued from the private school in a timely manner and assuming her parents will likely not sign her financial aid paperwork. I'm also sure they will still be claiming her as a "dependent" on their taxes in the foreseeable future. Another unpleasant surprise she has yet to discover, when 2014 taxes come due.

So, to a certain extent, her parents lack of insight into current education policies will certainly make all this girl academic work in high school totally worthless. In fact if this doesn't work out, its the same outcome as her partying hard in high school and attending Junior College to make up for the lost time. These days you can't go to a mediocre public high school, get good grades and get a scholarship to a top ranked school. Top ranked schools have MONEY because they recruit from the upper classes, whom when they gradate and have real careers then give back donations, that go into the university trust. They only want a few token hard luck cases for publicity purposes only.

Now I personally, feel for her, due to the road I see ahead of her. She will have to rethink her entire college and career strategy from a perspective, which she has not been exposed to or is familiar with (and neither are her peers or their parents for that matter). For most people in her economic class, you go to as good a private high school as possible, apply to top universities and then based on academic performance, these top universities then "bid" on the candidates in the form of scholarships, grants, etc. She has now been tossed into the state school pool, where students get as good a grades a possible in crappy high school, apply to the best state schools they can afford, hope and pray they get accepted to a decent state school, get no scholarships and take out hundreds of thousands of dollars in loans to graduate with a challenging and relevant major. As I said earlier, good programs cannot be done part-time today at good schools, they only want full-time students, not working part-time, in those departments.

I have seen this MANY times before, sans the lawsuit. Basically what has happened here is an lucky, unduly high paid, uneducated, formally lower to middle class couple, raised their income over time and then bought a home and raised children in a real upper middle class community that "culturally" they DID NOT belong to or in. The part that is baffling them, but obvious to outsiders, is that their child shares the "cultural mindset" of their upper class peers, born of parents whom were always upper class too. This girl will NEVER identify culturally with people like her parents whom "brought up their income and then moved into an upper class community" like say a the career trajectory of a Chief of Police because these parent did not surround their child with those of a similar background to themselves. So in contrast, just as folks here are outraged at the girl suing her parents, I'd bet my house that the adults in the community they live in are outraged at her parents short slightness and lack of "cultural insight" into the community they "think" they belong to be, but in actually do not "culturally". Simply put they are blue-collar thinkers trying to live in a white-collar community that they have no business trying to be a part of. If they wanted to live by such polar opposite "cultural values" they should have NEVER put their child in a Private High School in a wealthy community. Her parents in affect are going through a form a of late term "cultural shock" that I could have seen coming a mile away. Simply put they are simpleton, morons who came up on a good career income and moved into a place they never fit into, nor could ever really belong to. There is nothing wrong with their view, per say, but they decided to express it in a place where they would get no sympathy from their perceived adult peers.
edit on 5-3-2014 by boohoo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I haven't read all the resplies in the thread, but I just saw a clip about the case on MSNBC and remembered seeing this thread, so here I am lol.

As a mother of a recently turned 18 year old who lives in my home, as well as a person who was emancipated at 16, I have a few thoughts on this.

1st: This young lady needs to grow up! Life is not always fair and she just needs to put on her big girl panties, enroll in public school if she wants to finish her education (or get a job and pay for private school) and move forward. If she dislikes her parents so much, then just move on with life. No one says you have to maintain a relationship with your parents, I have zero relationship with my mother and it in no way hinders my life.

2nd: If she wants her parents to have any obligation to her financially beyond the legal age of adulthood then she needs to go home and FOLLOW THEIR RULES, period!

3rd: I agree 100% that the courtroom is no place for this nonsense. If her college fund is in her name, then make it about the college fund in said setting. HOWEVER, she is claiming that she needs emergency financial assistance for her every day living expenses while staying at the home of her friend. This is just laughable, one more time... GET A JOB! I heard McDonalds is hiring and heck, looks like minimum wage is about to go up lol!

This whole case is just a disgusting attempt at becoming a celebrity. I'll bet you dollars to donuts she gets her own reality show on one of the Discovery Network channels hahaha! And shame on anyone who watches it!

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   

IrishCream
I haven't read all the resplies in the thread, but I just saw a clip about the case on MSNBC and remembered seeing this thread, so here I am lol.

As a mother of a recently turned 18 year old who lives in my home, as well as a person who was emancipated at 16, I have a few thoughts on this.

1st: This young lady needs to grow up! Life is not always fair and she just needs to put on her big girl panties, enroll in public school if she wants to finish her education (or get a job and pay for private school) and move forward. If she dislikes her parents so much, then just move on with life. No one says you have to maintain a relationship with your parents, I have zero relationship with my mother and it in no way hinders my life.

2nd: If she wants her parents to have any obligation to her financially beyond the legal age of adulthood then she needs to go home and FOLLOW THEIR RULES, period!

3rd: I agree 100% that the courtroom is no place for this nonsense. If her college fund is in her name, then make it about the college fund in said setting. HOWEVER, she is claiming that she needs emergency financial assistance for her every day living expenses while staying at the home of her friend. This is just laughable, one more time... GET A JOB! I heard McDonalds is hiring and heck, looks like minimum wage is about to go up lol!

This whole case is just a disgusting attempt at becoming a celebrity. I'll bet you dollars to donuts she gets her own reality show on one of the Discovery Network channels hahaha! And shame on anyone who watches it!

This is the kind of thought process that allows the "owners of capital" to control and crush the masses at will. The "elite" don't think this way, nor do they raise their children to think any differently about family, offspring and the maintenance of multi-generational wealth. While such "self-sufficiency" thoughts seem amicable on the surface, they are actually the seeds of life long servitude to well heeled masters, playing the long game.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 11:31 AM
link   

boohoo

IrishCream

This is the kind of though process that allows the "owners of capital" to control and crush the masses at will. They don't think this way nor do they raise their children to think any differently about family, offspring and the maintenance of multi-generational wealth. While such "self sufficiency" thoughts seem amicable on the surface, they are actually the seeds of life long servitude to well heeled masters

I understand where you're coming from, and maybe in this girl's situation there is an opportunity for "the maintenance of multi-generational wealth" as you put it, however the majority of us who see life this way have no opportunity for any such thing. I also, surprisingly to some, believe family should always come first and should be there to support each other; after all, blood is supposed to be thicker than water. Once again, this is not always possible for some people. When the possibilities for sustaining "multi-generational wealth" and a loving, supportive family do not exist, then how do you propose those people continue on in life?

My mother sucked at the teat of the welfare system and was the one who went to court to have me emancipated because she chose a drug addicted, abusive piece of fecal matter over her children and I refused to play nice. I now own my own business and, while not wealthy by any stretch of the imagination, it is a sustainable service based business that my children are encourged to help me continue to build. Maybe we can create our own "multi-generational wealth", but I was not going to get that from my mother.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with walking away from a relationship with people who do not serve a role in your personal growth, in fact I think it is admirable. However, whining to the justice system about how mean and unfair your parents are (once you are an adult) is a waste of tax payer dollars and public service resources.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by boohoo

Now I have read this reply and I can see a little better where you are coming from with your comments to my first post. Yes, it is very difficult to get into the best colleges, the Ivy League as such. Also, being a "Super Senior" is no picnic, my 18 year old is currently a Super Senior (due to his own lack of effort, but still). However I must revert to my original comments, if she wants to continue on her original education path and expect that support from her parents, then she best suck it up butter cup and go home to mommy and daddy and all their rules!

However, if she doesn't want to go home for any miriad of reasons, then she must forge ahead on her own. It is not impossible, more difficult, absolutely, but not impossible. Degrees are offered at all "higher education" institutions, she'll just have to search for a place where her individual needs/interests will be met. My son is joining the Marines (not my idea or necessarily what I want for him) after graduation exclusively for the purpose of furthering his education... no matter what else they happen to thow him into. He is very aware of the reality of his life circumstances and knows that his education goals need to be met creatively due to said circumstances.

Life is not fair, life is not easy and the saddest thing is that many of today's youth have not been brought up to understand this fact.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by IrishCream

So adult children of abusive parents shouldn't take them to court at all? What of child stars who have had to sue to release monies held in trust from the parents who basically sold them off as children and are abusing the funds that their children earned? Are they wrong to do that? Legally, adult children do have the right to sue parents for childhood abuse. Statute of limitations, in most states, provides that an adult child can legally sue their parents for abuse within 3 years, iirc, of turning 18. Many states lengthen that to 2-3 years after the recovery of memory in the case of amnesia. So, according to state laws, kids actually do have the right and ability to take their parents to court for maltreatment/abuse.

I think the biggest problem is that courts are not favorable to children suing their parents and nor is the public really. The judge in the above case called it a "slippery slope" and compared a suit alleging child abuse as leading to a kid suing for a X-Box. That's actually a really whacked out comparison if you think about it. A lawsuit alleging abuse with a very clear, longterm economic impact is not the same as a 12 year old suing his parents for a X-Box.

But hey, if there is any class of citizen that has the least number of rights, it is our children. As a survivor of very prolific child abuse, I can honestly say right now that this country didn't do a thing to protect me from my parents. Once upon a time, I was a little girl who was beaten on a daily basis with a mother who had a penchant for wrapping her hands around my neck. I was wrought from hell and if you could see me, you would see that hell in my eyes. But if there is one thing that I have learned over and over again is that no one would ever save me. Not when I was little and not when I was an adult. We have these laws that are effectively meaningless. We have agencies out there whose solitary purpose is to protect children and they are understaffed, ineffective, and climb an upward battle against public opinion to boot. Because hey, those parents who had their children taken away? They seem like such good parents...

This girl, if what she alleges is true, is going to end up like me.
edit on 5/3/14 by WhiteAlice because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Here is my gripe about this entire thing. Our society is becoming indoctrinated to think EVERYONE should be able to be on top and have anything they want, even at the expense of other people. With or without their own effort, it no longer matters, they want something, so they should have it, and if they don't get it, they throw fits, cry, whine, complain, blame, protest, etc... Some call it entitlement, others call it something else.

Not everyone can reach the top of the mountain, but that doesn't mean those who do are better than you, happier than you, better off than you. Some work their a@@ off and reach the pinnacle with their own blood, sweat, and tears. Some reach the pinnacle thanks to others blood, sweat, and tears. And some reach the pinnacle by cheating, lying, etc...

Some people only make it part way, but they didn't get down on themselves, instead they were grateful for the climb, grateful for the height they did reach, and are proud knowing they made it as far as they did in an honest, hard working manner. They EARNED their place and can sleep soundly at night.

Some just can't catch a break and never get to even try to make the climb. They are stuck at the bottom, but they won't use others, lie or cheat, and find out sooner or later, its ok to be where they are, they persevere in the toughest times and can also sleep soundly knowing they grind out and earn everything they have.

Then there are folks like this chick. They expect others to carry them to the top, demand help because they were taught NOT to give 100%, instead to use others to their advantage. Then when no one helps, tells you to go F yourself that your legs aren't broke, you can climb yourself, they throw fits, look like fools, and invite karma with open arms, and then wonder why only very few people feel bad for them.

She can still go to school, she can still get her education...but noooooo she wants to do it on someone else's dime, she wants to live as cushy as possible, she wants others to sacrifice so she can live at a certain standard she doesn't deserve. MILLIONS of others struggled to pay and get through college on their own. They ate ramen noodles, worked jobs, and managed. Sounds to me like shes just a bit too spoiled, lazy, and is afraid of losing what she thinks is a CLASS in society.

Tough SHT chicka...get a job, shut up, go to school and as I said in another thread, welcome to the real world. Either have some pride and earn your keep or expect to be eaten by this thing called life.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 01:45 PM
link   
She isnt bad looking, so I'm sure she can make tuition on the stripper pole or as a mid priced escort.

Thats exactly what this retard deserves.

The participation trophy generation, along with their ridiculous sense of entitlement need a little reality check.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 01:49 PM
link   

IrishCream
Now I have read this reply and I can see a little better where you are coming from with your comments to my first post. Yes, it is very difficult to get into the best colleges, the Ivy League as such. Also, being a "Super Senior" is no picnic, my 18 year old is currently a Super Senior (due to his own lack of effort, but still). However I must revert to my original comments, if she wants to continue on her original education path and expect that support from her parents, then she best suck it up butter cup and go home to mommy and daddy and all their rules!

Thanks for re-reading and acknowledging the details my point.

Here is another article about useless working class values being foisted upon the younger generation, whom has totally different values and outlook on future needed skills, careers option, education requirements and technology use:

news.yahoo.com...-container

Long story short, the Dad in the story got peeved because his kid asked for 3 expensive tech items for Christmas an iPad, iPhone and Macbook. As an adult I view all three as interconnected technologies, that naturally a young person would need to "keep up with" because business society expects people to be intimately familiar them prior to paid employment (its not good enough to say, my friend has one and I use it at their house sometimes). But the Burrito dad thought such Christmas gift requests were excessive and decided his son should make 33,000 burritos for the homeless, as penance for the "outrageous request".

Now I will clarify how the "Burrito making kids parent is the same as the Parents who are getting sued by their daughter for tuition.

The message the parents intended to send is a good one, but the execution may have taught their son the wrong thing in the end. Let me explain, although kids today use thing like iphones, ipads and macbooks as gaming and social "toys", the reality is that these are also REAL tools for business. Based on my own experiences the wealthier kid down the street will get 2 of the three or all three of these items requested and in turn gets interested in something that seems like "play" at first, but in reality builds skills for making money later. Do you think Mark Zuckerberg or Bill Gates parents made them prepare 33,000 burritos for the homeless when they asked for an equivalent powerful computer in their day? Of course not, they bough them the high end computer when requested, end of story. If they hadn't we would be using some IBM OS and Myspace today.

Here is some history

Biil gates attended the private Lakeside School in 1968. The Lakeside school at the time had a contract in place to lease mainframe time from General Electric. Bill Gates used that time on the GE Mainframe to practice writing commercial level software at 13 years old. Did you or your parents high school have such a contract in place, let alone even a single computer for student use in 1968? No, they did not. Bill went to a very prestigious high school with access to things in the late 1960's that only high tech colleges had in place. I'll give you a hint the tuition for Lakeside school is $27,250 a year today.

So, in essence, Bill Gates parents bought him leased time to use a GE mainframe in the 1960's when everyone else was still using pencils, slide rules and typewriters.

Mark Zuckerberg got his first computer in the 6th grade around 11-12 years of age in 1995 or 1996. How many people on this board even owned a home computer in 1995? My parents certainly did not own a home computer in the mid 90s, nor did many others in neighborhood at the time. What did a computer cost in the mid 90's? At least $1,000 back then, that $1500+ today, per inflation.

So my point stands, both Bill and Marks parents PAID for them to be AHEAD of the game in regards to technology and education. Those fruits paid off in the end, despite neither going through the motions to get a diploma for their mostly completed college coursework, both at prestigious universities.

I think the Burrito kids parents made a HUGE mistake, his list wasn't a PS3, XBOX and 60 inch TV. The kid asked for tools that he could have used to become more employable down the road. That's what the parents needed to teach, what an iphone, ipad and Macbook are really made for, not playing games and if he wanted to use them to learn something like photoshop they could have made a deal with him to work it off at the shelter making burritos for the homeless. But hey, if people want to raise their kids to be conscientious "workers bee's" always at the mercy of the "economy" with no real skill sets, that's their prerogative I guess.

To keep things in perspective of the likely long term outcome of this "burrito lesson in humility" which I see everyday, a new hire comes in gets handed something techy for "day to day" work, which they never owned as a "leisure item" and then the company needs to spend "capital" getting them "up to speed" using the device at a minimum proficiency level. However, today companies are less forgiving due to the economy, so there is no more "up to speed" time, you either "get it" or instead get a check for your first two weeks and be on your way somewhere else. Iphones, ipads and macbooks type devices "seem" like toys, but they are just like cars, refrigerators and calculators were in the 70's. Meaning: everyone needs to know how to use them, doing otherwise will leave you under-employed. Although we won't hear the "follow up" story 20 years from now, I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Burrito kid falls behind the tech curve and has no discernible jobs skills, DESPITE having a good work ethic.

As a kid I had a unique experience that few get in life, as a pre-teen I went to elementary school in a poor city and when I was a teenager I went to school in a wealthy city. Of both of these groups, all the successful people I know today who seem likely to exceed the net worth of their parents had the following advantages:

1) All of these future "income exceeders" came from the wealthy city, none from the poor city. There are small number of people I grew up with from the poor city who achieved the SAME LEVEL of wealth as their parents, but none that I know of who have or will exceed their parents wealth anytime soon. There are already two friends I know of from the wealthy city who now have very successful businesses in the software industry. Note, their parent bought them their first computers when we were kids and DID NOT ask them to pay them back in the form or chores or a part-time job.

2) All of the kids from the wealthy cities parents paid for their college and they used the free time to do great unpaid internship where they actually learned something about real business, they did not spend their college years losing braincells flipping burgers.

3) The kids from the wealthy city's parents gave them their first car, they did not have to buy it themselves. It was not always fancy, but it gave them the advantage to concentrate on school, studying, doing internships and later their first real job

4) some of the wealthy kids parent helped with with a down payment in their first home or condo

5) Some of the wealthy kids parents gave them money to start a business, whether they succeeded or failed doesn't change the fact that they learned more about business doing this than the ones who just had to take the first job they could get

If a rich kid has one lick of ambition and knows how to work hard they can achieve almost anything they want with the way the current economy is set up. Starting from nothing today means something very different than it meant 20+ years ago. If you come from a family that does not have a "pot to piss in" in 2014, you're likely to be going nowhere fast and no amount of ambition is going to change that.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 01:57 PM
link   

IroncladFT
Then there are folks like this chick. They expect others to carry them to the top, demand help because they were taught NOT to give 100%, instead to use others to their advantage. Then when no one helps, tells you to go F yourself that your legs aren't broke, you can climb yourself, they throw fits, look like fools, and invite karma with open arms, and then wonder why only very few people feel bad for them.

She can still go to school, she can still get her education...but noooooo she wants to do it on someone else's dime, she wants to live as cushy as possible, she wants others to sacrifice so she can live at a certain standard she doesn't deserve. MILLIONS of others struggled to pay and get through college on their own. They ate ramen noodles, worked jobs, and managed. Sounds to me like shes just a bit too spoiled, lazy, and is afraid of losing what she thinks is a CLASS in society.

Tough SHT chicka...get a job, shut up, go to school and as I said in another thread, welcome to the real world. Either have some pride and earn your keep or expect to be eaten by this thing called life.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion and are free to do as you please, but this kind of thinking is nothing more than outdated, working class, poppycock. As has been proven many times over, such a philosophy will lead to nothing more than a life of servitude to the "owners of capital".

In the new economy “leisure” is required to gain requisite skills in certain industries. Two of the biggest companies in the world were founded on skills learned during “leisure time”:

As I noted above, it was “leisure time” that gave Bill his edge, not “boot straps” or “sweat of the brow” and in the same vein It was “leisure time” that gave Mark his edge, not “boot straps” or “sweat of the brow”. If they had worked part-time while pursuing their studies they would both be somebodies employees today.

Same goes for the executive leadership at Riot Games and pretty much every other currently hot venture capitalist backed company making their mark today. CEO’s of today, for better or worse, don’t start from the bottom or come from the production line. They come straight from their parents basement; and lately its been the ones who seemingly “sucked on the teet” the longest who seem to be getting the investor money needed to start their businesses.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I am perfectly aware of the current mentality towards "child abuse" and I am also aware of the many changes in the laws governing the intercedement (not even sure if that's a word) and or removal of children from abusive homes. Child Welfare drops the ball BIG TIME in a lot of cases and that is very sad. White Alice, I am very sorry to hear about your childhood and someting should have been done to save you from that life. I was also (what would today be deemed) abused; emotionally and mentally with minor physical abuse along the way. But I can't sue my mother for that, well I probably could, but to what end? She was abused by her parents as well, the only proper thing for me to do was get counseling and stop the cycle in it's tracks.

What we have to do, in this case and in general, is truly define what is abuse and what is strict parenting. We live in a society where you get a ribbon just for showing up and that's just not realistic in the "grown up" world as many of today's youth discover as they become adults!

I have read this thread, watched the videos, heard partial testimony in the case and have come to the conclusion that this poor young lady suffers from affluenza and her parent's reached the inevitable point of "Oh shizz, we fudged up, now what?" Subsequently they did a 160* in parenting style, which blew up in their face and now they are paying for it in an extremely public arena. Hopefully (doubtful) this will be a lesson to the parents of today to be more diligent in the parenting responsibilities bestowed upon you at your child's birth!

I am not claiming to be a perfect parent, far from it, however my children know that when I say "NO", I mean it. If they don't believe me, well then things start disappearing, privilages get taken away and if they push it past that they can forget about seeing their friends or participating in any extracurricular activities. Abuse is wrong, discipline is necessary and there is a difference.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 02:19 PM
link   

boohoo

You are certainly entitled to your opinion and are free to do as you please, but this kind of thinking is nothing more than outdated, working class, poppycock. As has been proven many times over, such a philosophy will lead to nothing more than a life of servitude to the "owners of capital".

In the new economy “leisure” is required to gain requisite skills in certain industries. Two of the biggest companies in the world were founded on skills learned during “leisure time”:

As I noted above, it was “leisure time” that gave Bill his edge, not “boot straps” or “sweat of the brow” and in the same vein It was “leisure time” that gave Mark his edge, not “boot straps” or “sweat of the brow”. If they had worked part-time while pursuing their studies they would both be somebodies employees today.

Same goes for the executive leadership at Riot Games and pretty much every other currently hot venture capitalist backed company making their mark today. CEO’s of today, for better or worse, don’t start from the bottom or come from the production line. They come straight from their parents basement; and lately its been the ones who seemingly “sucked on the teet” the longest who seem to be getting the investor money needed to start their businesses.

Well, here is the issue I have with your debate. YOUR argument obviously revolves around a career in only computers and doing IT stuff. To YOU that's an admirable career and you feel it is rewarding, and rightfully so. For SOME people they want to make it rich developing games, playing on computers all day, be the computer nerd, working in an office with their soft hands, etc... nothing wrong with that as it does pay well, but not everyone wants that life or to do those things. Some people still want to work with their hands, work outdoors, go to bed tired and feel like they did something worthwhile. Some people want to help others and serve their country or communities, save lives. Some want to farm and build stuff. Others want to run their own mom and pop businesses doing what they love.

So I understand your argument and know what you mean, but your attitude towards the "working class" is a sad reflection of the kind of person you are IMO. As a business owner and someone who got my degree on my own, I do not, and never will feel bad for a brat and douchebag like this girl. Without honest, hard working "SERVANTS" (as you call workers making an honest living), the guys you drool over would have nothing.

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by boohoo

Agreed. I personally find the attitudes towards the youth in this country growing increasingly malignant. Look at this thread or look at the one about the girl who got frostbite. It feels like there are so many that hold a disdain towards the youth and may even go so far as blaming the victim. We're a society where one of the most popular movies of the past few years has been one where children have to fight to the death. While it's just entertainment, I find that so disturbing in a way. I see it every day in so many venues. Calls for the restoration of corporal punishment, declarations that every youth is an "entitled" and spoiled brat, and more. I've never raised my hand once to either of my children and they are not spoiled. Heck, when we were going through some economic hardship, my eldest was walking around in shoes that had holes in the soles and never once said a word to me. I discovered it one night after I slipped on his shoes to bring the garbage cans in from the rain.

Most of my friends are Millenials. My children are Millenials. I've only met one that I would consider to be rather spoiled and even he's not that bad. Pampered? Definitely but his hobby is to go downtown and play violin for people on the streets. Most are despairing, especially the older ones, because they can't find work. I have a friend who is struggling so hard to cling onto hope as a systems administrator. He's a really very smart and nice guy. He can't find work.

I see all of this kind of response though to our youth and I find it so disturbing. We've become a society that upholds stories about our youth, propagated by the same media that we typically have disdain for, as declarative statements that cover an entire generation. Look at the original story in this thread. It has a link about the little psychopath whose lawyers used an "affluenza" defense as an excuse to have killed others through misbehavior. What the hell does that have to do with this girl? Nothing but it sure does stimulate that anger towards anybody young. She's such a pretty girl and nicely dressed. She must be just as spoiled as that kid, right? That's the link, right?

Think, people. Ask yourself where you first came upon this idea that our youth are entitled and spoiled brats. Where does it emanate from? Like I said, as a Gen X who knows a whole lot of them, I haven't seen any evidence of the attitudes that are so widely professed by so many of my generation and Baby Boomers. When did we become a nation that hates our own children?

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 02:40 PM
link   
It entirely depends. If she lives on campus and they claim her as a dependent, then, yes, she does, in my mind. I think it especially applies because her only way to get through college otherwise will be to take out loans from what I've read, and her parents will get massive tax write offs for that even though it's her debt and she alone is responsible for it.

The logic is very simple: if they are claiming her as a dependent and likely getting a significantly larger tax return due to her debt, then they are obliged, legally speaking, to provide at least half her upkeep, else they commit tax fraud. If she's paying her own way through whatever means she has, then that means that she is paying for her own food, living quarters, and general upkeep for 9-10 months out of the year, and they are not providing half or more of her upkeep for the year.

In that situation, they have essentially said on a legal document that they are supporting her and are using this fact to a significant financial gain on their part. This being the case, then, yes, I do think that she is well within her rights to sue them for the support that they claim to be giving.

However.

This is really only a set of very specific circumstances where this applies.
edit on 5-3-2014 by AnIntellectualRedneck because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by WhiteAlice

Your a bit dramatic. No one hates our youth, but at 18 she can and should want to support herself, NOT demand her parents CONTINUE to do it for her, especially if she wants to disregard their rules while still living at home under their roof. She is an adult, NOT a child or a youth. What people ARE sick of is our youth remaining helpless babies longer and longer thanks to people allowing them to act as such. I hear people call 18 and 19 year old teens CHILDREN!!!!!!! That is a serious issue. Then the liberals pass a ruling to allow people to stay on mommy and daddies insurance up to age 26!!!!!!! What kind of behavior do you expect when you do these things? GROW UP already and get off the teet!!!

When you are capable of working, capable of taking care of yourself, but expect, or in this case DEMAND other people take care of you, that IS pathetic.

Maybe kids are more advanced with computers and gadgets these days, they got the social media thing down, they are ahead when it comes to their educations vs. us old timers of the 80's
but mentally and physically they are failing drastically. They can't handle stress, pressure, life, losing, have no common sense, little logic, so many mental health issues it's mind numbing, so many of our youth are on prescription drugs, seeing shrinks, obese, no manual skills at all, etc... and that WILL be a problem soon, even more than it is now.

To those actually in crappy situations where they are in physical danger, thanks to horrible parents, I DO want to see those kids helped. But you cannot compare a kid being beat and abused with this chick just being stupid and expecting something she DOESN'T deserve.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join