It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Russia Crisis Raises Space Station Questions, NASA Has Options"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 03:37 PM
link   
"Russia Crisis Raises Space Station Questions, But NASA Has Options"
www.nbcnews.com...

First published March 3 2014, 11:57 AM

HOUSTON — Thanks to its reliance on Russia, NASA is once again confronted with the nightmare of a diplomatic roadblock in a project originally made possible by diplomacy: the U.S.-Russian partnership in space exploration.

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 03:54 PM
link   
NASA & the Russians cooperated even back in the Apollo Coldwar days ,,
edit on 3-3-2014 by Hoaxster because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by JimOberg

We can personally thank Obama for scrapping our space program to funnel more funds into the important stuff, like giving a free ride to illegal aliens, and buying votes.

Sorry, I know it sounds harsh, but it's the way I feel. We should have never pulled the plug on our own space station and all that makes it happen.

They can pull the space shuttles out of the museums they've been mothballed in, but the infrastructure of the people that worked the program are gone.

I only hope that those who look to the stars as hope for our future, prevail with cooler heads.

Des

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Interesting read, Jim.

How did the SpaceX Dragon that returned from the ISS last year (March 2013) fare? Was its splashdown relatively gentle? I know it was pressurized, but was it pressurized to crew levels? It seems that "theoretically" it is very close to being crew-rated, although I know that there is much to do to make it "officially" crew-rated.

...put it this way, if this was the film Gravity, and Sandra Bullock had only a Dragon Capsule (in its current form) at her disposal to get off of the ISS and safely get back to earth, could she survive?

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Hoaxster

JimOberg
"Russia Crisis Raises Space Station Questions,

quit trying to scare us,,you know full well that the NASA & the Russians cooperated even back in the Apollo Coldwar days ,,

You talk as if you think NASA and the Russian space programs are a government unto themselves, self financed.

Think again...where do you think the funds come from that fuel both country's space programs.

Des

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Destinyone

We can personally thank Obama for scrapping our space program to funnel more funds into the important stuff, like giving a free ride to illegal aliens, and buying votes.

Again with this myth? No matter how many times this lie is told it does not make it any truer.

You talk as if you ingest nothing but Fox News.

Shouldn't you change Obama to Bush?

The Shuttle was cancelled under Bush,as well as a bunch of other NASA programs:

One party, the one which Bush belonged to was openly hostile towards science. That's a matter of public record not revisionist history.

IF you want to play that game shouldn't you take it to the US Political Madness forum to prevent thread drift?
edit on 3-3-2014 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Right now if Russia choses to do so, it can strand the NASA Engineers that are up there now. The can also take complete control of the ISS and not allow US astronauts to fly up there. US should tread lightly. If I were an American up there I would be poopin my pants about now. Only Russia and possibly China could move humans to and from ISS or even space itself.

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Xeven
Right now if Russia choses to do so, it can strand the NASA Engineers that are up there now. The can also take complete control of the ISS and not allow US astronauts to fly up there. US should tread lightly. If I were an American up there I would be poopin my pants about now. Only Russia and possibly China could move humans to and from ISS or even space itself.
'

Actually, Space X's Dragon Capsule is man rated and could probably be used if they had to. It has already brought supplies to the station a couple of times.

I'm not certain of how long it would take but I am sure Jim Oberg is.
edit on 3-3-2014 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 04:15 PM
link   

The author of that article has the same name as you Jim

It's a good point and one that hadn't even crossed my mind , what a sorry state of affairs for a once pioneering space faring nation to find itself in , fall out of bed with the Russians and in with the Chinese , I guess it just highlights the shortsightedness of your leaders to retire the shuttle without a viable alternative ready to replace it.

Perhaps it's time to think the unthinkable and call an end to the hugely expensive and sadly unambitious ISS project , perhaps it's time to move on and do the hard things like send a man to Mars rather than just float about in low Earth orbit forever.

I'm not attacking the US but I am disappointed by the lack of progress from the glory days of the Moon missions.

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by gortex

As far as I know...there IS only one James Oberg in NASA related research....the same James/Jim Oberg from the OP.

Interesting article Jim....thanks for sharing your work.

Interesting how the movie Gravity, and the incident therein, was created by Russian actions.
edit on 3-3-2014 by LightAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 04:26 PM
link   
It all sounds so childish.

Who cares if their countries are in tension?
It's like asking kids to stop being friends because their parents are in conflict.

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 04:38 PM
link   

JimOberg
"Russia Crisis Raises Space Station Questions, But NASA Has Options"
www.nbcnews.com...

First published March 3 2014, 11:57 AM

HOUSTON — Thanks to its reliance on Russia, NASA is once again confronted with the nightmare of a diplomatic roadblock in a project originally made possible by diplomacy: the U.S.-Russian partnership in space exploration.

I agree with the first commentor.. Stop trying to scare people. Do you honestly think that scientists and astronauts really give two **its about a little conflict. There goal is to advance human knowledge and reach out in the galaxy.

And like buddy said we worked together through the coldwar... I dont see anything happening to the space program. If you are worried about the Space station, remember this, Its the International Space Station. In no way shape or form does the us or russia hold a monopoly on it, it exists because all the space agencies around the world worked together to build it.

There is no need to spread propaganda.

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Xeven

Your kidding me right? There are many Launch Stations around the world, Most people just dont know about them. Im Glad our Canadian Commander is here on earth and not up their right now.

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Destinyone

Didnt Obama increase the budget for nasa not too long ago?

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Imagine If all the money spent on weapons of war were spent on a world wide co op space program..
Pity eh

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by snypwsd

Only Russia and China have space capsules right now that can carry humans. US has some that have never been tested with humans before. US?West has no "Proven" means to fly humans into space at this time.

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Yes indeed. Nasa get likes 16 Billion. DOD gets 800 Billion + operating cost in war time annually.

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Xeven

Maybe Virgin Galactic can drop them off

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by JadeStar

Thank you, I get so sick of people like des blaming Obama for everything lol.

Let be clear, I am independent, did not vote for him. But by gosh I am not gonna blame him for everything either.

Like the housing mess and the recession, hello Bush, the CIA and NSA programs that are in place, again bush.

Two wars, bush. Give me a break. Give it a rest already. Obama had nothing to do with the end of the space program.

Blame that on greed, mistakes, and death. It was over the minute the shuttle exploded and rained all over the united states. Done...

Seeing that on live TV ended the space program.

Space is back, only it is for money now... Private and for profit...

The Bot

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Xeven
#

Nah..we British could do it if we had a shoelace, some chewing gum and a spare garden shed to work in.

And the funding...which has always been our achillies heel regarding space.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join