It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are most people really ignorant?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Last week I listen to a lady in my workplace who was talking about how when she worked in a bank she was paid hundreds of shares instead of a raise Translated into money, It would amount to tens of thousands. She decided not to sell the shares hoping it would raise

Two years later, the Global Recession came and........I think you know the story.

What puzzled me is how she was laughing at how great it would have been as if she had no control over here fate. Never mind this, she is generally a person who can't keep her private life separate from work. Nice, but can't work well. Doesn't like change.

Back to the story, I've gone to this womans house. She has the internet, a masters in Business, works in a bank, earns a comfortable salary spends leisure time doing nothing (IMO), so she can't complain that she didn't have the means to research the problems in the financial world and make balanced financial decisions.

Is most of the world like this? It seems that even in school kids do pointless things on social media sites like Facebook, Twitter, Myspace, instead of learning something or even becoming better at anything productive.

What has our world gotten to?

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   

depleteduranium92
Two years later, the Global Recession came and........I think you know the story.

No ,,I dont know--- what caused the Global Recession

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by depleteduranium92

This sounds like a rant about stupidity. There is a difference between common sense and book sense. Some people can earn degrees and appear to be "book smart", but they lack the ability to use common sense or have a lack of real world experiences to draw from.

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Should I take this?

A. To begin when you begin a thread it is wise to think about what you want to say. A rambling thread is more likely to get negative comments than a well thought out thread.

B. Check your spelling!

C. Check A & B.

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Hoaxster

what caused the Global Recession

The people who believed in the system enough to buy into it.
They thought it was legit and not corrupt and they were going to profit....the game is not made for those people,they are only the prey and helped perpetuate all this by believing these greedy morons.

Make sure to pay your mortgage and credit card bills...wink wink.
Debt???
Nah...you just picked your poison and they were counting on that.

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 03:37 PM
link   

There is a saying that ignorance is bliss , some people prefer to be blissfully unaware of things that don't concern or interest them , is it ignorance or just a life choice ?

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 03:58 PM
link   

You seem to be talking about this one person, why apply it to "most people"?

Is most of the world like this? It seems that even in school kids do pointless things on social media sites like Facebook, Twitter, Myspace, instead of learning something or even becoming better at anything productive.

This seems completely a different matter. Forever school kids have done "pointless things" instead of learning what we would call learning to productive and better...that IS how kids learn.

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Unfortunately, It's only going to get worse. Cell phones, Facebook and video games is the only things kids care about today. It's gotten to the point where it's just another part of their anatomy. So from my point of view, the future work force of the U.S. definitely looks bleak.

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Heres what youre not getting...you said the following in your OP...
"Facebook, Twitter, Myspace, instead of learning something or even becoming better at anything productive"

Those ARE their worlds and the way they believe is being productive. You have to sit back and let them live...their importatnt things to them...is absolutely nothing to us. They dont realize it....so we have to accept that its their world and we wont be able to convince them to change.

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 04:04 PM
link   

gortex

There is a saying that ignorance is bliss , some people prefer to be blissfully unaware of things that don't concern or interest them , is it ignorance or just a life choice ?

Based on my experiences over the last couple years, I'd say that you probably hit the proverbial nail on the head. I think people have a tendency towards avoiding those things that make them uncomfortable--even more so when they feel helpless at doing anything about something. It's a lot easier to willfully duck one's head in the sand than to confront things that may disturb them.

Ignorance IS bliss at the end of the day.

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 05:11 PM
link   

soulpowertothendegree

This sounds like a rant about stupidity. There is a difference between common sense and book sense. Some people can earn degrees and appear to be "book smart", but they lack the ability to use common sense or have a lack of real world experiences to draw from.

My oldest son.

Class valedictorian, will graduate early from Texas Tech....but a complete moron and prone to social anxiety. My youngest son....may never attend college. But he will be wealthy one day because of his huge level of common sense, which translates very well into social capability.

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 05:13 PM
link   

WhiteAlice

gortex

Based on my experiences over the last couple years, I'd say that you probably hit the proverbial nail on the head. I think people have a tendency towards avoiding those things that make them uncomfortable--even more so when they feel helpless at doing anything about something. It's a lot easier to willfully duck one's head in the sand than to confront things that may disturb them.

Its called "cognitive dissonance". You basically ignore and deny that which makes you uncomfortable. Combine that with apathy and/or a helping of a entropy, and you can see why people click off any news in lieu of reality TV.

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 05:36 PM
link   

bigfatfurrytexan

WhiteAlice

gortex

Its called "cognitive dissonance". You basically ignore and deny that which makes you uncomfortable. Combine that with apathy and/or a helping of a entropy, and you can see why people click off any news in lieu of reality TV.

Yep, it is cognitive dissonance indeed. What happened with me was being someone that was known for being very honest and I became a source of cognitive dissonance. While acknowledgment of validity/reality occurred, the drive for consonance basically equated to my being dumped like a hot rock with the end result being near total isolation. That is the most painfully hard pill to swallow. If you can take a "near and dear" friend and have them run like hell in the face of dissonance, then it's not hard to see that people can very easily "check out" when it's in a less personal realm, too.

On the bright side, I know how to scare people off right quick these days.

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 05:56 PM
link   
This thread sounds like the collective "old men and women" complaining about the next generation.
YOUR parents said the same thing when you were kid.
I grew up with computers, and cell phones, and texting, and I'm fine. I make a good living, live on my own, contribute to society when I see fit.
Im sure I'll be saying the same thing in 30 years too, when I'm 54.
"All these kids care about is __ they do __ and it rots their mind."

I could rant more, but you get the jist.

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by WhiteAlice

reality is fractal, and repeats. I like to think of it as the ultimate expression of entropy.

Fight or flight....cut and run.....a common way to deal with a problem for people. I have had folks do that to me in my life, too.

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Learning takes time and time is limited. Really smart people sometimes specialize their knowledge and are ignorant to many other areas of knowledge as a result.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 06:16 AM
link   
How would you go about measuring the sum of human knowledge/information?

Find me the most intelligent person on Earth and I guarantee you there are many, many potential topics they would be ignorant of. It is impossible for one person at any one time to accumulate the sum of all human knowledge.

This is why I shake my head when I hear people calling others "ignorant". Sure, you can be ignorant of X, Y or Z but you cannot just be ignorant by itself. Even the most idiotic person in existence has some form of knowledge at their disposal, and therefore calling them "ignorant" is wrong.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Are most people really ignorant?

MANY are. I don't know about 'most'. But many are.
Take a look at Maury or Springer. Look at the people on those shows.
Look at the reality tv shows .. Kardashians, Honeybooboo ... who watches this junk?
Take a look at the religious extremists around the planet.

There is a difference between not understanding what is going on, and being 'ignorant'.
Those who don't understand what is going on ... that's fine. It happens.
Not everyone can understand the stock market or computers or those kinds of things.
But low brow ignorance ... yes ... there is a lot of that out there.

posted on Mar, 4 2014 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Do you know everything?

I am guessing the answer is NO.

So what are you ignorant of?

Every person is ignorant of something, no one is immune, well me of coarse

edit on 4-3-2014 by InhaleExhale because: spelling,

Edit: DarkGhost says it well a few posts up

edit on 4-3-2014 by InhaleExhale because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 09:46 AM
link   

InhaleExhale

Do you know everything?

I am guessing the answer is NO.

So what are you ignorant of?

Every person is ignorant of something, no one is immune, well me of coarse

edit on 4-3-2014 by InhaleExhale because: spelling,

Edit: DarkGhost says it well a few posts up

edit on 4-3-2014 by InhaleExhale because: (no reason given)

I think you know what I meant. People who willingfully ignore opportunities to enhance their lives. That to me just seems unforgivable.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join