It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stormlighters for your BOB / EDC

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 10:37 PM
link   
My review of an excellent stormlighter I have used for many years without problems.

Full title is the Cabelas Alaskan Outfitter All-Weather Lighter

Bought in Cabelas for $50 in 2010.

Not so sure if the newer grade of stormlighters on Cabelas are as good either!
They seem to get poor reviews according to the ratings I see on their website…

edit on 1-3-2014 by WatchRider because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 05:50 AM
link   
reply to post by WatchRider

I always have one of those cheap three packs of small bic lighters in my pack. I do rotate them because I'm not sure as to how long there shelf life is. I used to always have medicine vials filled with Strike anywhere matches but used them up camping thinking that I could just go and pick up another box.

Now I can't find them anywhere.

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by WatchRider

No trouble with the element burning out?
All of that type of lighter I have had,3 I think,have died after a few months due to the element burning out.
Maybe yours has an element made out of more durable metal-I always thought thats what they needed to do.

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Yep, I have a trusty Zippo, and cheap Bics.... While I also have the storm matches, and a firestriker, etc., my go to will be using an actual lighter.

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

I've been told the tiny internal battery can burn out but the piezo element is long-lasting and it can still work if the battery flattens.

posted on Mar, 8 2014 @ 05:46 AM
link   
I might get one but i will still keep my container of cotton balls and Vaseline fire starters and my magnesium firestarter.

The problem with lighting something wet with a lighter is you will burn your fingers before the wet materiel lights.

With the cotton balls and Vaseline fire starter it lights even when they have been soaking wet. just squeeze the water out

And you need more then one way to light them just in case one way fails. I carry 4 ways to light them.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 06:25 AM
link   
I have those too, very handy things to use and many are in the dark about them:

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

You can't find strike-anywhere matches? Where do you live? Grocery stores in eastern PA have a lot or check out Amazon; pretty cheap there too.

I just bought 4 peanut lighters about a month ago, filled them with lighter fluid and they still light. For anyone unfamiliar with these, they're small and look like a metal pill container. The cap and o-ring prevents the fluid from evaporating. Great little item in my opinion.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Feltrick

Thanks for pointing out the peanut lighters. Pretty neat things. Next time I go visit my bud in eastern Ohio I need to check out the Farm & Fleet there. I bet they have strike anywhere matches. *Proceeds to tattoo Farm & Fleet on forehead so I remember*

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

Yep, I like these little lighters better than Bics. I found out the hard way that when it's really cold it's tough to work the Bics with that safety device on them. Bought the Peanut Lighters when I returned home.

Good luck finding the matches, glad I had those when the lighter wouldn't light.

top topics

join