It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ukraine asks U.N Security Council to protect it from Russia

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 05:10 PM
link   
www.businessinsider.com.au...

Warming up. Both NATO, EU and The US have legal obligations to support the Ukraine. What I don't like is that my Nation of Australia is the Presiding Chair of the U.N Security Council. This is very different than the Worlds response to Georgia and there is much more at stake.Mean time Ukraine is Calling up the troops, Calling this an act of War.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Hold on I thought those in power in Ukraine asked Russia to help them. Is this the insurgency asking NATO for help?

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Pimpintology

Hold on I thought those in power in Ukraine asked Russia to help them. Is this the insurgency asking NATO for help?

Crimea's acting "prime minister" who is pro-Russian asked for Russian assistance.
Ukraine's new prime minister is asking for UN help and they also hold a charter with NATO allies.

la2

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 05:50 PM
link   

13th Zodiac
www.businessinsider.com.au...

Warming up. Both NATO, EU and The US have legal obligations to support the Ukraine. What I don't like is that my Nation of Australia is the Presiding Chair of the U.N Security Council. This is very different than the Worlds response to Georgia and there is much more at stake.Mean time Ukraine is Calling up the troops, Calling this an act of War.

The security council is irrelevant, Russia has the veto.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 05:55 PM
link   
couldn't russia just claim that crimea could nuke moscow in 40 minutes and that they have some wmds...
and maybe it would be a nice place to grow some opium and put a pipleline...?

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 05:58 PM
link   
If it's an ethnically divided country and the majority are pro Russian, I think it's up to the Ukrainian people to decide who leads their country, not the west. I don't care what agreement was made to defend them, the world can't continue to allow the west and the east to use a declaration of war when they think their interests are at stake in a sovereign country.

If the shoe was on the other foot, I'm sure the U.S. would do exactly the same thing Russia is planning on doing. I'm not saying it's right, but there's a lot of hypocrisy when it's ok for the west to intervene when their interests are at stake, but wrong when the east's interests are at stake. I'm really tired of seeing countries that have a strong military and who have nuclear arsenals feel like they can use other countries like pawns in a chess game. At the same time, we have representatives from both countries wanting to use our young men and women to lay down their lives for a country that is ethnically divided. We all know how that turned out in Iraq.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 06:09 PM
link   
As soon as Obama, landed in France over a week ago, I knew this was comming. Just look at Frances involvement in Libyia. Just minutes ago there was a Quick junket of Obama talking to France and Canada about the situation.I strongly believe that this was just for the public, so they see some kind of evolving events. I believe those conversations were already had some time ago.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Danbones
couldn't russia just claim that crimea could nuke moscow in 40 minutes and that they have some wmds...

There are already 2 pipelines there.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 06:14 PM
link   
At last!!!!

A thread on the Ukraine situation where people actually speak sense.

What? When America and the UK decide to invade other countrys and meddle in other countrys affairs, countrys on the other side of the world, to restore peace and order, thats allowed???? Thats OK? Maybe morally wrong but HEY?

Russia try to do the same, with a country that`s right on their doorstep, with all its political and geographic connections past and present and westerners are all, "thats not allowed, they`re going to cause world war 3, never trusted them!"

Really I dunno.

edit on 1-3-2014 by fenian8 because: cos i missed 2 words out. very important

edit on 1-3-2014 by fenian8 because: the old ies or ys thing.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 06:15 PM
link   
The UN should definitely defend Ukraine.
Russia are invading a country becsuse their pal got thrown out by people power.
If Russia declares war on Ukraine and actually invades the whole country, then i'm not sure we should sit by and do nothing.

la2

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by fenian8

The legacy of Iraq and Afghanistan will haunt us, Putin knows we won't stand up to a country that can actually defend itself, he is a very intelligent man, who has waited a long time for a UK/US this weak.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Ukraine situation is just like, if Mexico decided to invade the USA and land troops in California to protect the local Mexican populace because the former californian Governor who was Mexican by Nationality was thrown out of office.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by la2

He is indeed, calling our bluffs with Georgia and Syria. Question is, Is Ukraine another bluff? Or are we seeing Putin putting his cards on the table????

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 06:34 PM
link   

LittleByLittle

Danbones

**** two?
go figure....I guess they are kinda close to moscow after all...

la2

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by fenian8

I think Ukraine is an opportunity, it came up at the right time, worrying thing is not knowing if this is just a land grab or just the opening act of a much larger picture.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Melbourne_Militia
Ukraine situation is just like, if Mexico decided to invade the USA and land troops in California to protect the local Mexican populace because the former californian Governor who was Mexican by Nationality was thrown out of office.

haha, yeah...you spelt Arizona wrong...
and McCain isn't mexican he is either Viet Cong or alciaduh ...
I forget which now

just sayin

oh Mcain is still in office ? ooops sorry...cool, one hopes they are gettin that catapult ready as we speak...
edit on 1-3-2014 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Danbones

LittleByLittle

Danbones

**** two?
go figure....I guess they are kinda close to moscow after all...

Sorry I was wrong there are more gas lines than 2. Think the picture I looked at before was old.

Do not know if this is the most current.

en.ria.ru...

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by WeRpeons

It's just to darned simple...
but too bad you aren't running things WRP, I'd vote for that.....
a form of democratic government....
damn why didn't anyone think of that before?

and I hear democracy spreads like peanut butter

Reply to LBL
oh no prob
about how many pipelines there is any will do...
It's just funny when ever there are pipelines democracy seems to get a little bit touched in the head
I'm beginning to wonder if well...
there is't a crack in that pipe or something...

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Pimpintology

The actions of leaders from the Crimea area asked Russia for help since they support the former Prime minister of Ukraine. Crimea was semi autonomous, however they were subordinate to the Federal Government in Kiev. They have since refused to comply with the lawful government of Ukraine, making Russia's actions illegal.

The lawful government in Kiev has asked for NATO assistance to protect their national / territorial integrity. Nikita Khrushchev, when he was running the USSR, gave the Crimea to Ukraine as a gift (being Nikita Khrushchev was from there - Ukraine). From that moment, Russia lost all claims to that area.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 07:26 PM
link   

la2
reply to post by fenian8

I think Ukraine is an opportunity, it came up at the right time, worrying thing is not knowing if this is just a land grab or just the opening act of a much larger picture.

I would say its the opening act of a much larger picture. Putin is not quiet when it comes to the glory days of the USSR. He has been pushing Russia back in that direction ever since he came to power, then was reduced in power, then restored as President.

From media, to targeting business owners, its the USSR all over again. I feel sorry for the Russian people.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join