It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia declares war on Ukraine. Live updates from inside Ukraine

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Aleister
reply to post by hounddoghowlie

Like in most of these type of hair-trigger situations, it takes one inexperienced nervous civilian or soldier to shoot someone (either at another countries armed forces, or at a local protest, etc) to start a bigger snowball rolling. So I hope all parties involved are doing the appropriate and usual behind-the-scenes things to give each side something so both fairness and a feeling of "we won this and that" to cool down the situation. That one phone call from the idiot U.S. woman, taped and happily leaked, puts a public face on this entire episode which was likely meant to remain private.
edit on 1-3-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

And this is exactly what will happen as the right wing radicals have declared this a guerrilla struggle against the Russians and will mobilize for Crimea.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Eastern region of Donbass will have a referendum to decide its future.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by asen_y2k

RT News live news feed.

Ukraine turmoil LIVE UPDATES

16:55 GMT: The City Council of Donetsk, a city in the eastern Ukraine, capital of the coal-rich Donbass region, to hold an urgent referendum in Donetsk area on Donbass future. The council urged the local parliament to set the date immediately. The move is set to “protect the citizens from possible violent actions on the behalf of radicalized nationalistic forces,” the council said in a statement.

Saturday, March 1 16:59 GMT: The UK’s Foreign Office has summoned Russian Ambassador to Britain to register deep concerns, Foreign Secretary William Hague tweeted. We oppose decision to deploy Russian troops on Ukrainian soil against wishes of #Ukraine gov and condemn any act of aggression — William Hague (@WilliamJHague) March 1, 2014

edit on 1-3-2014 by Bellor because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-3-2014 by Bellor because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 11:16 AM
link   

We oppose decision to deploy Russian troops on Ukrainian soil against wishes of #Ukraine gov and condemn any act of aggression — William Hague (@WilliamJHague) March 1, 2014

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Bellor

Aha, thanks for linking it. I got the same from Ukrainian media.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 11:27 AM
link   

UN Security Council meets in emergency session-
The Security Council of the United Nations concerning Ukraine will start at 21:00.
This was announced on his Twitter page with the British Ambassador to the UN Mark Grant Liall.

"At the request of the British UN Security Council will meet for an emergency meeting for consultation today at 14:00 (21:00 Moscow time)" - written by Grant.

The meeting, to be held in New York, consider the situation in Ukraine.

No other details, he did not disclose.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Asen_y2k, I'd just like to thank you in advance for keeping up with the news in your country, and translating it. As a source inside Ukraine you are very invaluable to those of us interested in this situation (as all humanity should be, but anyway).

Thank you, and stay safe.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Ukrainian leader Klitschko has called on Russia and Russians to protest against the aggression of the Kremlin

Please note, all my quoted texts are from the two Ukrainian news outlets I have quoted on page one. Any other sources will be linked.
edit on 1/3/14 by asen_y2k because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Catacomb

I will be trying my best.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   

asen_y2k

As you are a Ukrainian ..can i ask your opinion.

Do you and as best as you can gauge the people want to fight the Russians..
or accept overwhelming odds and live for another day.

The question is important to me if no one else.

If you don't want to answer that's fine too.

edit on 1-3-2014 by rigel4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Meanwhile Uk & US are bound by treaties to protect ukrainian soverignity. Ukrain gave up it's nuclear arsenal for this protection. Now if US / Uk act it's likely ww3 scenario. If they don't that means that all developing countries will start a nuclear arms race since it's proven that treaties are not worth the paper they are printed on. Putin is being a major arse.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 11:36 AM
link   
uh oh... I wouldn't wish this on anyone... I wonder how this is going to go down.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Can someone please explain this conflict from start to now, how it began, how it developed, and how we got to the place we are at now? I understand bits and pieces, but I'm struggling to make sense of this all and I'm struggling to understand how this developed so quickly from civil unrest in the country to possible war and when I see the US now getting involved with Obama telling Putin to step down it has me worried...

Putin told Obama to step down about Syria... Obama tells Putin to step down over Ukraine... Is this all connected in a giant web or separate?

Look forward to reading someones reply to my questions about this situation... Thank you

And I promise you many stars in return
well, just one star, but I'd give you more if I could...hahaha
edit on 1-3-2014 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   

rigel4

asen_y2k

As you are a Ukrainian ..can i ask your opinion.

Do you and as best as you can gauge the people want to fight the Russians..
or accept overwhelming odds and live for another day.

The question is important to me if no one else.

If you don't want to answer that's fine too.

edit on 1-3-2014 by rigel4 because: (no reason given)

I am not Ukrainian, i live here for 6 years and pretty much spend most of my time with Ukrainians. Here in western Ukraine the sentiment is extremently anti Russian. But from what I hear amongsts Ukrainians as you go east its more and more pro Russian. The people here in the west call their eastern countryment moskali meaning moscovites. Many here share the opinion to seperate into eastern and western parts and here in the west they are very pro European.

I would not like to talk much about this here.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 11:44 AM
link   

asen_y2k
reply to post by MessageforAll

Hi, i am in Ukraine and was thinking about making my thread a purely Ukrainian news source, from the Ukrainian and Russian langauge media.

But only if it is ok with you of course)

Thank you, Asen for making this thread. You are one of those shining examples of what makes ATS the go to news source for me.

I appreciate, what you are doing to keep us informed of what is going on, from your vantage point.

Des

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Thank You asen_y2k for bringing the perspective and live news from the region to ATS. Please stay safe and keep the information coming.

I'd like to add that any perspective you are comfortable in sharing is most welcome.

Springer...

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   

jhn7537
Can someone please explain this conflict from start to now, how it began, how it developed, and how we got to the place we are at now? I understand bits and pieces, but I'm struggling to make sense of this all and I'm struggling to understand how this developed so quickly from civil unrest in the country to possible war and when I see the US now getting involved with Obama telling Putin to step down it has me worried...

Putin told Obama to step down about Syria... Obama tells Putin to step down over Ukraine... Is this all connected in a giant web or separate?

Look forward to reading someones reply to my questions about this situation... Thank you

Long story short, Putin has viewed the US, and Obama with contempt for quite some time. Syria just showed Putin that the US would do nothing militarily, even in the face of a country going through a bloody civil war...even when chemical weapons are supposedly used.

So, Putin uses the context of civil unrest in the Ukraine, due to the recent governmental changes (even though most of the country has had very little violence, and very few deaths), to move his troops to protect their base in Sevastapol. Crimea was already a semi-autonomous state, which was moving forward with formal ratification as a completely autonomous state, from the Ukraine.

Ukraine isn't in a good position to respond, with new leadership in disarray from the revolt. Russia has already ratified the movement of military personnel into both Crimea, and Ukraine...which is after the fact anyway, as Crimea is still technically a part of the Ukraine, at this time.

The whole thing is really about the natural gas pipeline there, and Russia wants to own it, not just pass their natural gas through it. Russia views the US as being in a weak position. Russia has all the cards.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Thank you for the reply... Yesterday I saw a picture on ATS that showed the amount of Russia pipes that go through Ukraine so I definitely understand the concept of "protecting" their interests, if not taking it over completely in the country if they overthrow it. From a tactical and logistical perspective the US would have a hard time moving their military to that region to protect Ukraine, right? I feel like this could go from bad to HORRIBLE in no time and I have that strange feeling that Putin may want to test out Obama a little to see how he reacts

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   

The flagship of the Naval Forces of Ukraine, frigate "Hetman Sahaidachny" out of the main base of Sevastopol.

Earlier it was reported that unknown tried to capture the border of the Sevastopol naval detachment protection. Seven Ukrainian navy ships sailed out to sea from Balaklava bay.

Reported to be moving to Odessa.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 11:56 AM
link   
live.aljazeera.com...

Again, I find myself going to Al Jazeera for up to date un-spun reporting on world events.. Sad, American media sucks.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join