It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian Federation Council Agrees to Putin's Request for military intervention in Crimea

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Some interesting tweets :

East of Brussels ‏@EastOfBrussels 8m
#Ukraine: rumours that #Russia occupation of Eastern #Ukraine imminent - #Putin going full #Hitler now? pic.twitter.com/HF20fuMoY0 #crimea #war ( according to insider in kremlin )

Elizabeth Palmer ‏@elizapalmer 13m
At Belbek airbase #Crimea Russians control airfield. UkrainianAF control ops bldgs, etc. Russians have given 4pm ultimatum to vacate.

BBC Breaking News ‏@BBCBreaking 22m
UK rules out military action over #Ukraine; Downing St says only "diplomatic & peaceful" avenue being pursued bbc.in...

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 06:28 AM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

Speaking of the Tatars, they and the Jews are the only groups in the region that actually have to be afraid of "ethnic cleansing."

That rather depends on who is operating the cleaners and why, frankly.

And whether or not we're talking about a light dusting or a complete Spring clean.

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 06:30 AM
link   
reply to post by MessageforAll

BBC Breaking News ‏@BBCBreaking 22m UK rules out military action over #Ukraine; Downing St says only "diplomatic & peaceful" avenue being pursued bbc.in...

That's something at least, i'll leave the family BOB where it is for now then.

Thanks for posting these updates.

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 06:32 AM
link   
reply to post by MysterX

As many suspected no one is gonna touch Russia, not the Nato not even the US.
The Budapest memorandum means squat.

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 06:33 AM
link   

MysterX
reply to post by DJW001

Speaking of the Tatars, they and the Jews are the only groups in the region that actually have to be afraid of "ethnic cleansing."

That rather depends on who is operating the cleaners and why, frankly.

And whether or not we're talking about a light dusting or a complete Spring clean.

So you consider genocide to be a subject for jokes?

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 06:35 AM
link   

MessageforAll
reply to post by MysterX

As many suspected no one is gonna touch Russia, not the Nato not even the US.
The Budapest memorandum means squat.

To the best of our knowledge at this exact moment in time. Most of America is still asleep at this hour. Let's see what happens after our politically hypersensitive President sees the results of public opinion polls this afternoon.

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Euromaidan PR ‏@EuromaidanPR 6m
#Russian NavalVessels are blocking StreletskayaBay in #Sevastopol during last 3 hours -KRYM.SOS |PR #Ukraine #Crimea pic.twitter.com/y1RA69Vt92

bruce springnote ‏@BSpringnote 13m
Crimea's largets independent TV station "Chornomorya" shuts down after employees receive death threats #Crimea

#Ukraine: yet another #Russia #propaganda lie exposed via @maidan_go
pic.twitter.com/0LHj71J7g8 #putin #war #hitler #stalin #war #crimea #kyiv

reply to post by DJW001

Do you think there is a chance Obama will use force? I'm just posting updates, you know my opinion regarding the who and why the protests started. apart from that i'm totally in the dark.

Not sure what the stance of the US is now.
edit on rdAmerica/Chicago303uk2014 by MessageforAll because: (no reason given)

edit on rdAmerica/Chicago303000000k2014 by MessageforAll because: (no reason given)

edit on rdAmerica/Chicago303000000k2014 by MessageforAll because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 06:45 AM
link   

stumason
I also find it quite hard to understand that while the West get's flack for "being the worlds policemen" or what have you, when countries like Russia behave in a far worse fashion they are allowed to not only get off scot free, but are defended on ATS.

I assume from the defence of Russia's actions here on this board that they would be happy with Canada going back on the Treaty of 1818 and taking lands from the USA? It is the same thing.

Er..Stu, normally we see eye to eye. I'm nearly always in agreement with you, however, please clarify how anyone else in the world has "behaved" worse than the UK and the US in the abusing of soveriegn nations for their resources through the centuries.
We, the British, conveniently forget our "imperialism" which we conveniently change for "we spent 400 years enlightening the darker nations, spreading education, health and bringing the black man out of the stone age".

And in the case of the US i quote Major Genral Smedley Bulter, the first American to see what was really happening betwenn the big corporations and the American military -

"I spent 33 years and four months in active military service and during that period I spent most of my time as a high class muscle man for Big Business, for Wall Street and the bankers. In short, I was a racketeer, a gangster for capitalism. I helped make Mexico and especially Tampico safe for American oil interests in 1914. I helped make Haiti and Cuba a decent place for the National City Bank boys to collect revenues in. I helped in the raping of half a dozen Central American republics for the benefit of Wall Street. I helped purify Nicaragua for the International Banking House of Brown Brothers in 1902-1912. I brought light to the Dominican Republic for the American sugar interests in 1916. I helped make Honduras right for the American fruit companies in 1903. In China in 1927 I helped see to it that Standard Oil went on its way unmolested. Looking back on it, I might have given Al Capone a few hints. The best he could do was to operate his racket in three districts. I operated on three continents."

Russia hasn't really done anything yet.

Theres a vote in four weeks..Just like the Falkalnds referendum. If they want to be under the Russian umberella, so be it..isn't that the democracy we preach in the west??

Remember what happened a few centruies ago when Scotland wanted independance from England - We sent a few armed men to protect the intrests of few english speaking lords who were being terrified by Scots extremists.

I must admit, at the moment the Russian PR machine is failing BADLY in it's task.

edit on AM1Mon20141972 by andy1972 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 06:45 AM
link   
12:39: More from Imogen Foulkes in Geneva on Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov's appearance before the UN human rights council. "Half way through his speech... his tone changed dramatically - he mounted a robust defence of Russia's policy in Ukraine, which, he insisted, was all about protecting civilians... " He also warned the West against economic sanctions - saying those who proposed them were the same countries who had already polarised Ukrainian society."

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Another interesting tweet.
Euromaidan PR ‏@EuromaidanPR 5m
Ex-advisor of Putin: “Special troops which will kill Russians arrived in Crimea” #Ukraine

Make up your own mind whether biased or not.

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 06:50 AM
link   
reply to post by andy1972

Harking back to the 19th century to explain actions today is dodgy ground, Andy! We're not the same nation and it isn't the same world. After the 2nd WW, there was a thing called the UN Charter which prohibits this exact thing. Granted, Iraq is the fly in the ointment with regards to that, but at least it was done with broad international backing.

As for voting, doing so at the barrel of a gun (Russian Army) is not exactly a good idea and they aren't exactly famous for "free and fair" elections.. You bring up the Falklands, what you're suggesting would be as if the Argentines had invaded, then prompted a vote, but all while occupation troops were present which calls into question the veracity of such a vote.

I'm fine and Dandy if Eastern Ukraine or Crimea want to split, but it has to be done so properly, not because Russia sends troops in and de facto annexes the land like the did to Georgia.

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Do you think there is a chance Obama will use force?

If it is necessary for the political survival of his party, of course he will.

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 06:54 AM
link   

This is from Hitler's Sudentenland playbook. Of course Putin would give such orders.

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

Thx for the reply, though, I think these are tactics used by every nation, they all go to the same bookstore.

BREAKING NEWS At least 100 demonstrators waving Russian flags have stormed into the regional administration building in Donetsk, eastern Ukraine, and occupied at least one floor of the building. Itar-Tass news agency says there are no police on the scene. The 11-storey building has been flying the Russian flag, rather than the Ukrainian flag, for three days, Reuters reports.

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 06:58 AM
link   

MessageforAll
reply to post by DJW001

Thx for the reply, though, I think these are tactics used by every nation, they all go to the same bookstore.

The United States has never used the "Protecting ethnic Americans" excuse for annexing territory. Just saying.

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 07:00 AM
link   

MessageforAll
reply to post by DJW001

BREAKING NEWS At least 100 demonstrators waving Russian flags have stormed into the regional administration building in Donetsk, eastern Ukraine, and occupied at least one floor of the building. Itar-Tass news agency says there are no police on the scene. The 11-storey building has been flying the Russian flag, rather than the Ukrainian flag, for three days, Reuters reports.

Interesting. Why would a mob need to storm a civic building if it was already under the control of the Russians?

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Ukraine's acting PM Arseniy Yatsenyuk speaks. Highlights below:

UKRAINE TO FULFILL ALL IMF REQUIREMENTS, PREMIER SAYS - like Greece?
UKRAINE PM SAYS BELIEVES RUSSIAN TROOPS WON'T INVADE E. UKRAINE - because they are there already?
UKRAINE PM SEEKS TO INCREASE RESERVES TO EASE FX FLUCTUATIONS - "Whatever it takes", even printing dollars
UKRAINE PM SAYS NAFTOGAZ SHOULD BE PRIVATIZED - Ukraine oligarchs delighted by this development
UKRAINE PM SAYS NEW GOVERNMENT HAS NO INTENTION OF NATIONALISING PRIVATE COMPANIES" - Ukraine oligarchs even more delighted by this development
And finally, why all the above was irrelevant:

UKRAINE PM SAYS RUSSIA REFUSES TO HOLD BILATERAL UKRAINE TALKS

Oh well, as long as it fools those USDJPY ramp algos if only for a few minutes.

www.zerohedge.com...

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 07:13 AM
link   

stumason
reply to post by andy1972

Harking back to the 19th century to explain actions today is dodgy ground, Andy! We're not the same nation and it isn't the same world. After the 2nd WW, there was a thing called the UN Charter which prohibits this exact thing. Granted, Iraq is the fly in the ointment with regards to that, but at least it was done with broad international backing.

I'm fine and Dandy if Eastern Ukraine or Crimea want to split, but it has to be done so properly, not because Russia sends troops in and de facto annexes the land like the did to Georgia.

Stu, sorry to disagree mate, but whats the difference between 19th century imperialism and the imperialism of today??

Same shi+ different day. The west, particulaly America has invaded and raped illegaly dozens of countries in the name of destroying dictatorships, defending its interests etc etc
It has imposed puppet governments who don't make a move without the nod from Washington, if not from the CIA.
When a country is friendly "towards western policy" and doesn't allow American and / or European corporate muscle to do as it likes, that country suddenly is either labelled as a terrorist haven or has sanctions levelled against it as a dictatorship, and the populace suffer.

Like Billy Bragg said - "Freedoms just another word for nothing left to sell" , which is why Britain left much of the empire to rot.

Im all for seperating the country, if as you said, it's done properly and it's really what they want and the majority really do feel themselves ethnically Russian.

It's double standards, we invade 2 countries on a basis of lies, we have armies of occupation from a dozen antions stationed there for 13 years protecting a natural gas pipeline that runs from Turkmanistan to india, but the difference is we label it "the war on terror", so its OK.

America provokes a government change in Ukraine, and before they've had a chance to vote in a muppet government, Putin torpedos the plan by doing the last thing anyone expected. And the west points the finger of disgust at Russia for someting it has done time and again, it's hipocritical.

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 07:15 AM
link   

DJW001

MessageforAll
reply to post by DJW001

The United States has never used the "Protecting ethnic Americans" excuse for annexing territory. Just saying.

No, they use the excuse - "war on terror" to annex countries...just saying...

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 07:20 AM
link   
13:18: UK Foreign Secretary William Hague has said the whole world supports Ukraine and will not leave it on its own, the Interfax-Ukraine news agency reports him as saying in Kiev. "What is taking place in Crimea now is a violation of the sovereignty and territorial integrity of Ukraine. We will be taking decisive steps in order to stop this. The world will not abandon Ukraine," Mr Hague is quoted as saying.

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18 >>

join