It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEW POSSIBLE evidence of past life on Mars!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by BGTM90

What, no, I'm not criticizing, I just added that link to add data to this thread. Look how many threads were opened on the Ukraine crisis, important, yes, but so is an the publication of this information about the strong possibility that a meteorite from Mars contains evidence of past life carried within it. That's surely worthy of a few threads, just to alert people who might not have heard of it as yet. I've talked to a few friends of mine and none of them had heard of this. This is a good thread, and a great topic.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 11:37 PM
link   

wildespace
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

What if all life in the universe has similar DNA structure to life on Earth? There's no reason to think we're something special; we're most probably just a typical sample of life, and all life elsewhere follows the same structure and evolution.

Then results will have to be replicated to ensure the results are not due to Earth contamination.

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 12:22 AM
link   

OccamsRazor04

wildespace
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

What if all life in the universe has similar DNA structure to life on Earth? There's no reason to think we're something special; we're most probably just a typical sample of life, and all life elsewhere follows the same structure and evolution.

Then results will have to be replicated to ensure the results are not due to Earth contamination.

Even when results are replicated its not 100% proof of the theory, there could be be a fundamental flaw with the experiment that nobody thought of or found. So in the end we will never be able to state these complicated astro-biological questions as fact. There will always be doubt of if the experiment was done correctly or if it was bias. Take the viking landers C14 test for life on mars, at first they found proof of live microbial life consuming the radiocarbon and producing gas when vaporized. Then it was announced that it was a false positive. So was the experiment flawed or was it as some people claim bias conclusion? I'm not saying its either of them because I simply don't know but, the universe is a wondrous and down right strange place. Things stated as fact in science text books are continuously being proven wrong. So any person who thinks they can understand the functionality of the universe by experimentation are feeble and foolish. In the end we simply don't know and probably never will. Thats my take on it anyway.

posted on Mar, 2 2014 @ 12:37 AM
link   

BGTM90Even when results are replicated its not 100% proof of the theory, there could be be a fundamental flaw with the experiment that nobody thought of or found. So in the end we will never be able to state these complicated astro-biological questions as fact. There will always be doubt of if the experiment was done correctly or if it was bias.

False. If microbial life that is unknown on Earth is found on Mars with similar DNA, and is then found again, and again, and the methodology for preventing contamination is sound, then contamination can not a valid argument and the result is Mars life is found.

Take the viking landers C14 test for life on mars, at first they found proof of live microbial life consuming the radiocarbon and producing gas when vaporized. Then it was announced that it was a false positive. So was the experiment flawed or was it as some people claim bias conclusion? I'm not saying its either of them because I simply don't know but, the universe is a wondrous and down right strange place.

False again. Life was never detected, nor could the experiment even detect life. What it could do is find byproducts of life. This is where previously I stated Earth contamination would have to be ruled out, well for Viking chemical processes would have to be ruled out so that only a biological origin can explain the results. In this case chemical processes can completely explain the results, thus a biological explanation can never be proven.

Things stated as fact in science text books are continuously being proven wrong. So any person who thinks they can understand the functionality of the universe by experimentation are feeble and foolish. In the end we simply don't know and probably never will. Thats my take on it anyway.

Understnding can always change, that doesn't mean there is not a consensus.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join