It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does the Ukraine have an Army?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Anybody else wonder about that today?

Evidently they do have an army - much smaller than the Russians & they spend less money on it but was just wondering if they would put up a fight. Don't really buy all this MSM propaganda against Putin - what is the guy suppose to do it's their only warm water port in the world and their Navy would have been cut-off so he had to do it. Was just wondering if they are going to get shot at while doing it or in the days to come...should get interesting.

Ukraine military still a formidable force despite being dwarfed by neighbour

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by BABYBULL24

I think we are looking at the makings of a nasty civil war, the last Crimean War involved many countries and this one if it goes off will too. The US and UK as well as others are telling there citizens to leave ASAP. Yep, the comming days will be interesting indeed.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 12:20 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 12:23 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 12:27 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 12:29 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 12:34 AM
link   

just wondering if they would put up a fight

More than half of Crimeans are ethnic Russians...most Crimeans speak Russian. I doubt that they would. They have close ties with Russia. It would be suicide anyway if they did....the Russians would crush them and a whole lot of people would die in the process.

But really, who knows? It's a dangerous game being played here.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 12:43 AM
link   

deadcalm

just wondering if they would put up a fight

More than half of Crimeans are ethnic Russians...most Crimeans speak Russian. I doubt that they would. They have close ties with Russia. It would be suicide anyway if they did....the Russians would crush them and a whole lot of people would die in the process.

But really, who knows? It's a dangerous game being played here.

What does Crimeans have to do with Ukraine? Crimea belongs to Ukraine. It would be like saying Arizona has a lot of Mexicans so it's ok for Mexico to send in the army and steal it.

Russia has no right to Crimea.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Russia wouldn't have a Navy if Putin didn't respond.
He had to - i mean he doesn't have to take the whole peninsula but what is he suppose to do?
He is renting the base...they have a lease.

It would be like the Cuban's taking over Gitmo...what would we do? Well Obama would probably hand it over but that's beside the point.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 12:56 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Well, here it comes.
Reports from Al Jazeera's live blog,

The pro-Russian prime minister of Ukraine's restive Crimea is claiming control of all military forces, police and other security services in the region.

In a statement reported by local and Russian news agencies on Saturday, Sergei Aksenov declares that the armed forces, the police, the national security service and border guards will answer only to his orders. He says that any commanders who don't agree should leave their posts.

The newly-chosen prime minister of the Ukrainian southern region of Crimea on Saturday called on Russian President Vladimir Putin to held restore "peace and calm" to the Black Sea peninsula, amid a standoff with the new authorities in Kiev.

"Taking into account my responsibility for the life and security of citizens, I ask Russian President Vladimir Putin to help in ensuring peace and calm on the territory of Crimea," Sergiy Aksyonov said in an address quoted by local media and broadcast in full by Russian state television. [AFP]

and finally,

Kremlin: Russia will not ignore Crimea leader's request for help. [AFP]

live.aljazeera.com...

I wonder if NATO will flood the Ukraine with troops after this development.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 02:42 AM
link   
And now from Al Jazeera blog linked above,

Ukrainian defence minister says Russia has recently brought 6,000 additional troops into Ukraine. [Reuters]

Don't forget about the 140,000 troops having an "exercise" along the boarder.

But what is NATO's stance on this?

A sovereign, independent and stable Ukraine, firmly committed to democracy and the rule of law, is key to Euro-Atlantic security. Consistent with the Charter on a Distinctive Partnership between NATO and Ukraine, NATO Allies will continue to support Ukrainian sovereignty and independence, territorial integrity, democratic development, and the principle of inviolability of frontiers, as key factors of stability and security in Central and Eastern Europe and on the continent as a whole.

www.nato.int

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 03:48 AM
link   
The solution is obvious. Ukraine is knee deep in debt. Instead of war why does not Russia and Ukraine come to a business arrangement. Russia can pay for Crimea in a land sale agreement. Ukraine has plenty of other harbours to choose from. I am thinking along the lines of the Lousiana purchase, and also the Russians sold Alaska to the USA too. With the land sale, Ukraine can settle it's debts and everyone is happy. A win win situation for all.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 03:52 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 04:14 AM
link   
The problem to my mind is, who has installed this 'New Government' in the Ukraine?

It was not elected by the people, it just sort of appeared by magic. NATO Magic no less.

The new Crimea Government has also appeared by Magic. Russian Vodka Magic.

The Puppet Masters are very busy.

Whatever army the Ukraine has, NATO would love to see it smashed. Then the NATO countries can make $$$$$$ replacing it all. Money for jam, NATO jam.

P

edit on 1/3/2014 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Wirral Bagpuss
The solution is obvious. Ukraine is knee deep in debt. Instead of war why does not Russia and Ukraine come to a business arrangement. Russia can pay for Crimea in a land sale agreement. Ukraine has plenty of other harbours to choose from. I am thinking along the lines of the Lousiana purchase, and also the Russians sold Alaska to the USA too. With the land sale, Ukraine can settle it's debts and everyone is happy. A win win situation for all.

Yea , i am leaning toward such solution aswell , this has the dangerous elements of both Proxy and Civil war Written all over it.

TheGreazel.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Wirral Bagpuss

Well in a "common sense" world this would just be the way to go. But NATO is not common sense, it is the enforcer of corporate capitalism. While we all look at the Ukraine we seem to ignore a few events just some month ago.

A: Russia and China no deal direct in their trade and pay in Rubles and Yuan instead of $$.
B: China intends or is in the process to have the Yuan be used as alternative reserve currency
C: remember the Missile shield? Have you ever looked at the map how "close" the Ukrainian border is to Moskau?

And in many statements already in the past few centuries, - mostly from the UK - the idea to control Russia is an ongoing theme. Also don't forget that the fore runner of NATO, the then western allies did send troops into Russia during the revolution and did mess around in Russia till about early 1920's.

Since it is all about the economy and the control of a world, any country that does not run according to the IMF and the Petro-$ scheme is target for regime change. That's what it's all about.

Russian have a long memory! Their attention span is not limited to 5 minutes on TV till to the next commercial. And anyone with an army coming close to their borders is something they just don't like seeing. And especially if NATO was founded for the sole purpose to counter the threat of the Warsaw Pact of the former USSR, then why is NATO "Expanding" if there is no War-Pac left? If there would be any reason for a united Army in Europe, then NATO should be disbanded and a new EU-Army established under the command of the EU FOR the protection of the EU.

Armies are meant to protect against invasions: This means, - as I have so often posted - if it's not threatening your actual borders then you have no business in countries that do not border you. So what had NATO to do in Libya? Russia has stuck to its deals, the west has not.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 09:13 AM
link   
mod note:

The topic is the viability of the Ukrainian military.

Any further off-topic posts will be removed as well.

Do not reply to this post.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 09:17 AM
link   

BABYBULL24
Russia wouldn't have a Navy if Putin didn't respond.
He had to - i mean he doesn't have to take the whole peninsula but what is he suppose to do?
He is renting the base...they have a lease.

It would be like the Cuban's taking over Gitmo...what would we do? Well Obama would probably hand it over but that's beside the point.

Russia is about to lose its navy. Ukraine did not renege on the agreement until Putin did.

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 09:20 AM
link   

i dunno , but i know that The France and The England and The Australia have armies.
and The New Zealand has armies. Oh and The Canada and The Mexico have armies alsos.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join