It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian helicopters heading to Sevastopol, Ukraine

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   
This could become a very troubling avalanche, very quickly.

The Ukraine only needs to ask for UN help to resolve this issue, and if Russia pull back it's aggressive tone no problem. On the other hand Russia is trying to show it's nations power in the region so toning it down is sadly just a hopeful thought at this point. The UN may have to send in Coalition Forces into the area so that Ukraine can regain control of it's territories.

If that happens I can guaranty that the anti- US/EU/Whatever hate is going to fly like shrapnel from a grenade.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Xcathdra
The people in this thread / site have screamed up and down at one time or another based on the above. Now that Russia is engaged in it, the actions seem to be acceptable.

In this game there are no saint's, no sinner's, no sin's.....

Everybody's right, nobodys wrong.

Sometimes i ask myself is there room in sky for all of the angels down here on earth.

It's a game of give and take. America has taken Iraq and Afghanistan and let's be honest Syria and Lybia..Russia has sat back and watched.

Now Russia WILL annex Eastern Ukraine, supposedly to protect Russia and the occupants of Eastern Ukraine from extremists.

And, the U.S and the U.K. and Europe will watch.....and do nothing.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 03:06 PM
link   

sosobad

And you have on more than one occasion been on the other side advocating that behavior, so by that logic you should be ok with Russia doing this or dare I say are you being a hypocrite as well?

Really? When?

The hypocrisy is when people detest an action, like a bunch of people do on this site when it comes to the US / West. To call it out, then whole heartedly support it is in fact hypocritical. If that is the direction Putin / you guys want to take it, then go for it.

When you lose, I don't want to hear about in the forums.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by seasoul

One thing I do know about Putin. He is a man of his word. When he says he is going to do something, 99% of the time he will follow up. He's calculated, cunning, and could be brutal.
Now this is no BS story, a friend of mine was Putin's limo driver and Putin's ex wife's chaperone during the 1999 Apec summit in Auckland. He got the job because he was at the time in the Air force. He has told me that Putin was a very very intense person. Eyes that would stare right though you. His wife was very friendly, and kind. She even bought a gift for him.
So I would suggest to the Ukrainian govt, not to piss off the Bear.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 03:07 PM
link   

andy1972
...... will watch.....and do nothing.

A thought provoking statement.

Tell me, how well did that mindset work for Adolf Hitler?

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Don't be saying "you guys" to me when you do not know were my allegiances lay with this, I am just pointing out the laughable way you are calling other people hypocrites when you are just as bad yourself, all your posts are there for people to see in your profile , you defend NATO and the US for the same things but when Russia does it you are against. All together now HYPOCRITE

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 03:16 PM
link   

sosobad

Don't be saying "you guys" to me when you do not know were my allegiances lay with this, I am just pointing out the laughable way you are calling other people hypocrites when you are just as bad yourself, all your posts are there for people to see in your profile , you defend NATO and the US for the same things but when Russia does it you are against. All together now HYPOCRITE

"You guys" are the ones hoping Putin starts a war...

As for my posts feel free to actually read them, then feel free to come back.

So you think its ok for Putin to invade Ukraine?

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 03:17 PM
link   

It is beginning to smell like September of '39. Hopefully people can step in before we have a complete replay of those events.

edit on 28-2-2014 by Guyfriday because: misspelled a word

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Is it a confirmed invasion? Where was that said? Or is it Russia going in to defend THEIR gas pipelines and the people of Crimea that consider themselves Russian. Two very different things my friend.....

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 03:21 PM
link   
It is reported military planes with 2000 Russian soldiers landed in air base near Simferopel in Crimea. 13 planes each having 150 soldiers in Gvardeiskoe airfield, that is what the representative of president told to local channel, though it is not clear in the media whether Russia is allowed (by contracts) to take their soldiers there or not.

That is getting quite heated up. Hopefully war is not happening, next weeks will be crucial before the trade deal with EU is decided. I truly hope a war will not happen and it is just a "bluff", trying to frighten Ukraine to not go through with the EU plans. I doubt Russia is strong enough to actually do some military actions, as it can backfire very strongly.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Guyfriday

It is beginning to smell like September of '39. Hopefully people can step in before we have a complete replay of those events.

edit on 28-2-2014 by Guyfriday because: misspelled a word

That's the scary part.. With the misinformed view some people have that Russia alone won WWII all by itself, its translating into the Hitler'esque mentality that the world will allow it to happen and do nothing to stop it.

Its spelled out in history books for all to see, yet people ignore it.

I doubt the world is going to allow a 3rd world war to break out. If Putin is as intelligent as some claim, then Putin wont take a provocative action that would result in war.

If Putin ignores logic / the past, then he will be no better than Hitler and will suffer the same fate. Since people in this thread speak very highly of Putin and his level of intelligence, then Putin surely knows his actions wont resolve the problem, and as such, he wont be stupid enough to start a war.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 03:24 PM
link   

sosobad

Is it a confirmed invasion? Where was that said? Or is it Russia going in to defend THEIR gas pipelines and the people of Crimea that consider themselves Russian. Two very different things my friend.....

Lets use some more logic from other members in the thread.

As has been pointed out time and again, invading a sovereign nation for resources is a non starter. If Putin is so intelligent im not sure why he would start a war over resources.

Using your logic, the EU can then invade Ukraine to protect "the wests" natural gas supplies, since Russia is actively threatening it, right?

What happens when Ukraine asks the UN / EU / west to intervene on their behalf to stop Russia?

Then what? Would that Ukrainian request be valid?

Again as others like to point out, foreign troops / military assets entering a sovereign nation without consent is an act of war. Or does that just apply to the west?
edit on 28-2-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 03:24 PM
link   
I suspect that the Bolsheviks will not be permitted to occupy the Ukraine. This would not be Putin vs Obama inside an MMA octagon, this would be Russia vs NATO.

The situation that we have brewing here is no joke. ~$heopleNation

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by SheopleNation

Agreed, things are going to get tense very fast.
Do we know if U.S is going to restart the missile defense system around that area?

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 03:32 PM
link   
The president is going to talk about the situation in about 15 min

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   

SheopleNation
I suspect that the Bolsheviks will not be permitted to occupy the Ukraine. This would not be Putin vs Obama inside an MMA octagon, this would be Russia vs NATO.

The situation that we have brewing here is no joke. ~$heopleNation
I don't believe that the issue would be Bolsheviks, but rather Putin using Cossacks to fight this. Cossacks have an attachment to Kiev, and have been pandering about regaining land from Russia. If the Cossacks win = Russia looks good, if the Cossacks lose = Putin doesn't have to deal with them again.

That's my issue. I worry that Putin might use this as a tool to get the Cossacks off his back, and if he regains some USSR land, then so be it.

***FOR THE RECORD***

I don't see Putin as more intelligent then other world leaders, but he is very KGB in his underhandedness.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   

thesaneone
reply to post by SheopleNation

Agreed, things are going to get tense very fast.
Do we know if U.S is going to restart the missile defense system around that area?

I thought we already had... We moved away from land based and instead concentrated on sea based.

US shifts missile defense from Europe to Navy ships

Washington

President Obama will pursue a ship-based missile defense system as an interim measure to protect Israel and Europe from a short-range Iranian missile threat, as he backs away from a controversial ballistic missile defense system favored by the Bush administration.

Putting a missile defense system on water instead of on land will skirt some of the political backlash in Europe against the ground-based system. It will also address the more pressing threat of shorter-range missiles from Iran, military officials said at the Pentagon Thursday.

For years, the Navy has been developing the Aegis missile defense system – named after the shield of Zeus – as a way to protect aircraft carrier battle groups steaming vulnerably across oceans around the globe. Known as a "phased array" radar, it can look up and over the horizon as far as 250 nautical miles, says a Navy official [Editor's note: The original misstated the wrong number of nautical miles.].

If it picks up something like a missile, the ship can launch a standard missile armed with a transponder in its tail. The transponder allows the ship's system to steer the missile to the target to destroy it. The Navy has also modified 18 of its DDG-51 Arleigh Burke Class destroyers and Ticonderoga Class Cruisers with an advanced standard missile known as the SM-3 that is capable of countering the longer ranges of an intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM).

The Pentagon said Thursday it will deploy the Aegis ship-based system by 2011, likely on as many as three ships, in place of the European missile defense system the Bush administration had envisioned, said Gen. James Cartwright, vice chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, at the Pentagon briefing Thursday.

Click link for remainder of article.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Is it a confirmed invasion or is it because the people of Crimea who consider themselves RUSSIAN asked for help? Had to ask again because you totally side stepped the question, the pipe line belong to Russia, this has been planned from the offset, when the Ukraine accepted Putins money the ball was put in motion for a violent uprising, remember the phone call from the American ambassador, "# the EU" that is no coincidence, they talked at length about how it will go in their favor, the MSM concentrated on the # the EU part because they didn't want people questioning the phone call. Both sides are as #ed up as each other.

PS Don't call people hypocrites when you are one yourself

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 03:39 PM
link   

I don't think they went thru with it yet.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 03:48 PM
link   

sosobad
Is it a confirmed invasion or is it because the people of Crimea who consider themselves RUSSIAN asked for help?
Its an invasion when the armed forces of one country enter a sovereign nation without consent. Or so the argument is made by many people when it comes to Us actions.

The people claiming Russian is irrelevant. There are large groups of Americans living in cities / countries around the globe. That does not give the US the right to invade simply because hose Us citizens requested it.

sosobad
Had to ask again because you totally side stepped the question, the pipe line belong to Russia, this has been planned from the offset, when the Ukraine accepted Putins money the ball was put in motion for a violent uprising, remember the phone call from the American ambassador, "# the EU" that is no coincidence, they talked at length about how it will go in their favor, the MSM concentrated on the # the EU part because they didn't want people questioning the phone call. Both sides are as #ed up as each other.

Show the agreement between Russia and Ukraine where it stats Russia can invade Ukraine to seize control of infrastructure in Ukraine. Better yet point out the relevant UN article that allows a nation to invade another over resources / groups of people who identify with another country within the borders of a sovereign nation. The funding of a project does not mean a country can go in and take it. In case you are not familiar with history, that is a large part of the Iraq - Kuwait war. There was a disagreement over joint oil fields, who pumped more out of it and how much money resulted in being lost by Iraq to Kuwait.

sosobad
PS Don't call people hypocrites when you are one yourself

I think I will actually. By all means though, feel free to link to my posts that show my hypocrisy. Simply making the comment does not make it true, contrary to what Putin / ethnic Russians thinks.

edit on 28-2-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join