It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian helicopters heading to Sevastopol, Ukraine

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Something bad is about to go down though:

The UN Security Council meeting on Ukraine delayed - may now happen at 1500 New York time (2000 GMT), the BBC's Nick Bryant reports.

@TelegraphWorld tweets: Breaking: Russia says its troops are moving in Crimea. Confirms armoured vehicles moved from naval base

Edit something else just popped up.

17:19: Russia says it will fast-track passports for members of Ukraine's Berkut riot police after the unit was disbanded by Kiev's new authorities, AFP reports. The force has been accused of using snipers to shoot protesters during the dying days of President Yanukovych's regime. Russian authorities are quoted as saying that the passports will be issued in Crimea's capital Simferopol.

This is very smart for all future intent, these Berkut riot police are like the elite's who got sacked instantly after years of giving their lives for Ukraine, so what we have are a bunch of people with a vengeance and who know all there is to know about terrain etc.

Smart move Russia... smart move...
edit on thAmerica/Chicago228000000k2014 by MessageforAll because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 11:23 AM
link   

thesaneone

Again with the put downs

Where did I say that they are going to attack the world?

It seemed you were implying that they were mobilsing round the world.

thesaneone
I do believe that they are going to attack the Ukraine.
I do believe when they do we are all going to get involved.

Yes and No.

Russia just want the Crimea and I think the USA and EU will let them have it. Its only if Russia go for all of Ukraine outside involvement will happen and Putin aint stupid. , well he smarter than the buffoons the US and UK have in government and he will know all of Ukraine is not worth risking ww3 over or a localised war in Ukraine that he will know he will lose. He will keep with the Crimea and not pick off more than he can chew.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   

crazyewok

asen_y2k
Do you guys think Ukraine will resist militarily. The acting PM sacked the commander in chief of the Ukrainian military today.

Maybe. It would be suicide though. I would say they wouldn't be that stupid but the fact they have mentioned cancelling the Kharkov treaty with Russia shows this new Ukrainian government are not that bright. If they were bright they would have reassured Russia usage of Sevastopol right from the beginning

I really dont think they are the ones making the policy in Kiev at this moment.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 11:27 AM
link   
News is breaking that #Russia may want to annex the #Crimea.

For days we’ve been reporting rumors that the Russian government was expediting passports for ethnic Russians wishing to flee Crimea. There was a draft law debated to this effect in the Russian State Duma. Now, this announcement on the Russian Foreign Ministry’s Facebook page:
Consulate General of the Russian Federation in Simferopol urgently requested to take all necessary steps to start issuing Russian passports to members of the “Berkut” fighting force.

In other words, Russia is now urging the nationalization of Yanukovych’s riot police.

Why is this important? Before Russia invaded Georgia in 2008 they issued passports to ethnic Russians.

At now, the Russian State Duma is discussing a draft law for adding a new subject of the Russian Federation, i.e. Crimea. In other words, Russia is taking many steps that it took before invading Georgia. This looks to be an attempt to annex Crimea.

edit on thAmerica/Chicago228uk2014 by MessageforAll because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 11:27 AM
link   

asen_y2k
Do you guys think Ukraine will resist militarily. The acting PM sacked the commander in chief of the Ukrainian military today.

Secondly do you guys think Russia will just stop at Crimea, will they push ahead further?

Well that's certainly the question of the day.I don't see how Ukraine can resist militarily.Will Russia occupy Ukraine?I worry about that answer.The world waits...

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Russian Lawmakers Want To Simplify Process Of Adding New Regions

Russian lawmakers say they plan to submit a bill to parliament that would make it easier for new territories to join the Russian Federation.

Mikhail Yemelyanov, a leader of the A Just Russia party, said the move was necessary because of the "unpredictable" situation in Ukraine.

He said that, under the proposed bill, a territory would be able to join the Russian Federation on the basis of a referendum or a decision of its parliament.

Russia's "Kommersant" says that, currently, a foreign country or part of it can join the Russian Federation "with the mutual consent of the Russian Federation and this foreign state," confirmed by an international treaty.

Russia still considers Viktor Yanukovych, who was ousted as president by parliament on February 22, to be Ukraine's legitimate leader.

Yanukovych is currently in Russia.

www.rferl.org...

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by seasoul

Right...both sides have nukes. Just saying.

reply to post by TDawg61

Ukraine is no slouch. See above.

edit on 2/28/2014 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   

~Lucidity
reply to post by seasoul

reply to post by TDawg61

Ukraine is no slouch. See above.

edit on 2/28/2014 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

My God.You not suggesting Ukraine would launch a nuke at Russia?That would be tantamount to national suicide,dont you think?

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Nice little coup for Russia if they get the Crimea from under Europe's nose.
They look strong to their own, embarrass the west, gain a nice region. To many positives for them to possibly miss this chance?

Fact is Ukraine has never found its place in Europe because of the corruption spreading from Russia.

I think its fair comment that Russia is protecting its interests my problem with Russia is they seem try show themselves as just looking out for their interests but in fact its all spin and corruption.

They say they are playing by the rules internationally, which they do seem to, leaving the west blocked against action but underneath it all they are corrupt.

You just feel its more about the leaders wealth than the peoples wants or real long term planning?

edit on 28-2-2014 by guidetube because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 11:36 AM
link   

asen_y2k

Secondly do you guys think Russia will just stop at Crimea, will they push ahead further?

They certainly have shown not to long ago that won't stop if their authority has been put to question. Remember Georgia only 6 years ago? Anyone???

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

I don't know, the Ukraine isn't Georgia and have a capable military with some excellent air defence (including the much vaunted S300 I believe).. They could put up a considerable scrap and I wouldn't rule out, in the event of an actual full-on Russian invasion, Poland sitting idle as they've got a lot at stake themselves

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 11:43 AM
link   
It's all heating up...Russian transport vehicles at airport....
This will be the Biggest thing on ATS this year.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 11:43 AM
link   

TDawg61
My God.You not suggesting Ukraine would launch a nuke at Russia?That would be tantamount to national suicide,dont you think?

Ukraine surrendered it's nuclear stockpile to Russia in 1994 under the "Budapest Memorandum on Security Assurances".

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

If "they let them have it", then they would have totally reneged on the 1994 agreement between the USA, UK, France and Russia in reference to the Ukraine. In effect, this would be selling out the Ukraine and saying to the world that we don't honour agreements - what do you think will happen then? Will China will go for the Philippines over Scarborough shoal or in fact China versus pretty much anyone in the region for various reasons? What about North Korea? Iran?

It's a dangerous game that can backfire horribly - it is precisely how the last world war started.. Little steps, appeasement here, give some ground there and before long, boom, it all goes tits....

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   

~Lucidity
reply to post by seasoul

Another concern is the possibility of the region's nuclear power plants getting caught in a crossfire.

The half-life of Uranium-233 is about 160,000 years.

edit on 28-2-2014 by seasoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   
troops withdraw from Airports:
www.presstv.com...
edit on 28-2-2014 by all2human because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by TDawg61

I suggested what? All I said was that both sides have nukes. This could be construed as either a negative or a positive.

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by all2human

Earlier on Friday, a group of armed men in military uniforms briefly seized an airport in the regional capital of Crimea. Eyewitness said about 50 gunmen in military uniforms arrived at Simferopol International Airport in military trucks to search for Ukrainian airborne troops.

That's a worrying angle I'd not heard - what if they had found Ukrainian forces?

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   
People of ATS.......... I have come up with an Alternative view of things, based on MY information.

Crimea is lossed and has already been agreed with Western powers.

If on the other hand Russia starts a silent or otherwise invasion of Ukraine properly,
then I'm afraid the # will well and truly hit the fan.

Crimea was Russian so on that premise I think the Western powers are prepared to huff and puff and let it go.

If I'm wrong about this then .. who knows where it will end.

I cant see Western Europe tolerating an Invasion of Ukraine by Russia.

edit on 28-2-2014 by rigel4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   
18:18: Ukraine International Airline, Ukraine's biggest airline, says that airspace over the Crimea region had been closed after its main airport was taken over by armed men, Interfax reported. It says that no flights from Kiev are being allowed to Simferopol international airport. But an airport information official said only one flight from Kiev had been delayed, and other flights had been coming and going from Simferopol without any problems.

18:07: At least five Russian Il-76 planes have landed at a military airport in Gvardiysky, near Simferopol, Ukrainska Pravda internet newspaper reports citing eyewitnesses. Reports also say a column of Russian armoured personnel carriers is heading towards Simferopol.

18:02: US lawmakers say they are writing legislation to authorise financial and technical assistance for Ukraine, Reuters reports. Details of the package are still being hammered out, it says, but Chairman of the Senate subcommittee on European Affairs Senator Chris Murphy said the package would be part of "a broader, co-ordinated programme" with the EU, IMF and other international partners.

EDIT:

18:20: Telephone hubs in Crimea have been blocked, Ukraine's Channel 5 TV reports. An official from the company that owns the Ukrainian telecom monopoly Ukrtelekom is also reported to have told Ukrainska Pravda the firm is unable to get in touch with its Crimean branch. (BBC Monitoring).

Anyone with military experience see this is textbook invasion.

edit on thAmerica/Chicago228000000k2014 by MessageforAll because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join