It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Church of Satan.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Please, let me start off by saying that I do not endorse this 'society', and by no means am I trying to influence members into joining. I am not a member, I am just providing information. The Official Church of Satan can be found here. You can find some really interesting information about their history at that link. Some of which, I will share with you now.

History

The Church of Satan was founded by Magus Anton Szandor LaVey (1930-1997). He never intended to start a new religion. His only intent was start something that was used for publicly opposing the stagnation of Christianity. He felt that is he did not start it, somebody else would.

Satan, by one name or another, haunted mankind, tempting him with sweet delights and enlightening him with blinding secrets intended only for gods. He was one who could be petitioned for powers of retribution and who gave deserved rewards. Instead of creating sins to insure guilty compliance, Satan encouraged indulgence. He was the single deity who could really understand us.

Souls that have joined the Church of Satan have done so because they feel that Satan is the only one that can turn to for guidance. Satan is their version of Jesus. The first Church of Satan was established on the traditional night of the most important demonic celebration of the year, when witches and devils roam the earth, orgiastically glorifying the fruition of the Spring equinox: Walpurgisnacht, the night of April 30th�May 1st.

Practice

First, the most important part of the Church of Satan, is the "Nine Satanic Statements". These include:

• Satan represents vengeance instead of turning the other cheek!
  • Satan represents responsibility to the responsible instead of concern for psychic vampires! and...
  • Satan represents man as just another animal, sometimes better, more often worse than those that walk on all-fours, who, because of his �divine spiritual and intellectual development,� has become the most vicious animal of all!

The full list, as well as others, can be found at the website provided.

Secondly, what others find very important are the "Eleven Satanic Rules of the Earth" These include:

• Do not take that which does not belong to you unless it is a burden to the other person and he cries out to be relieved.
  • Do not complain about anything to which you need not subject yourself.
  • Do not harm little children. and...
  • When walking in open territory, bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask him to stop. If he does not stop, destroy him.

Many may be surprised by these rules. They show that yes, even members of the Church of Satan have respect for man-kind. Basically, if you do not mess with them, they will not mess with you.

Sigil of Baphomet

There have been many rumors and claims regarding this symbol, and here we recount the Church of Satan�s discovery and use of this image.

The first printed artwork for an image of a goat face in a five-pointed star appeared in Paul Jagot�s Science Occulte et Magie Pratique

This image shows an open faced star, with the goat, rather than a star made out of 5 "alphas"

The current 'logo' or 'patch' is this:

The pentagram (pentalpha) comes from the Pythagorean tradition. The goat�s or ram�s head within it refers to the Goat of Mendes, a symbol of the Egyptian Neter Amon, who was called �the hidden one, he who abides in all things, the soul of all phenomena� and is thus the closest Neter to the Dark Force which is seen to permeate and motivate all nature. The two concentric circles which contain the word �Leviathan� written in Hebrew (starting at the lowermost point and moving counterclockwise) stem from the traditions of the Ophite (serpent) Jews, and this is the essence of the Dragon of the Abyss, descended from Tiamat, sometimes symbolized as an ouroboros (serpent biting its own tail forming a circle). Thus, in one sigil, we find a confluence of several cultures� approach to embodying what we call Satan.

---

Hopefully, this has been informative. Please feel free to leave any comments of questions you may have. Hopefully I, or other members with more knowledge can answer them.

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I thought that the COS was just LaVey's way of speading his own beliefs, similar to Hubbard's Scientology. The members of COS don't actually 'worship' Satan, but use him as a simbol for their own 'self-based' beliefs. From what I heard, Laveyan Satanism is a 'creed of the self' and therefore of little interest to me.

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 04:24 PM
link   
The CoS is by no means exclusive. Anyone with two hundred dollars can join. Networking amongst members is what creates, along with the mystique of representing the dark side of humanity, the curiosity buzz around modern American Satanism.

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Ravenna, it's mostly about setting yourself spiritually free, and taking hold of your own destiny. The level of "majik" you involve yourself in is up to, well, yourself.

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ravenna
Laveyan Satanism is a 'creed of the self' and therefore of little interest to me.

But isn't that basicly most people? The I, Me, Mine ego-self mentality. I don't know many Americans that don't only think this way.

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 04:31 PM
link   
From the prologue I read in The Satantic Bible by LaVey, he got tired of seeing the hypocrisy of men that would go to the sideshow carnival Saturday, chase women get drunk etc, then go to church on Sunday (LaVey played the organ if I am not mistaken) and ask for forgiveness, then start the whole cycle over again....

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by goregrinder
Ravenna, it's mostly about setting yourself spiritually free, and taking hold of your own destiny. The level of "majik" you involve yourself in is up to, well, yourself.

I've already taken control of my own destiny, although it took a long time and a lot of thought, faith and work. I just can't see myself as a 'me first' kind of person. It just isn't me. Neither am I a vengeful person. I cried once when I trod on the cats tail by accident. I just hate causing or seeing pain. I'm not saying that Laveyans do, but that their creed allows it. Mine doesn't and couldn't.

[edit on 23-11-2004 by Ravenna]

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I do agree with LaVey on the hypocrisy thing though. I can't stand hypocrites myself.

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Great informative post MacKiller!!! and nicely layed out if I may say so.

I consider myself a satanist and found that out when I was quite young
already having these same belifs and views, later on I discoverd their was a whole "society" of this nature.

I guess its more of a philosophy than a religen

I find the whole thing very intresting and thought provoking

I don't useually tell people about my satanic views or make it obviouse, and like to keep it to myself unless someone is intrested to know.

I find happyness in this field of thinking and respect its not for everyone,

and if christianity makes you happy then GO FOR IT. (not that I endorse it)

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 04:45 PM
link   
So if the COS is a 'philosophy' of self, and Satan is a symbol of that belief, what about the people I would call devil worshippers. The people that revert Christian symbols and mock Christianity. They too proclaim their belief in Satan. Can there be more than one 'Satanism' ?
Then there is the Temple of Set which is supposedly Satanic in nature, although I don't know if they are Laveyan based or not.

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 04:52 PM
link   
CoS Satanists look at satan as such an entity as Neter Amon, as Mac has already presented. It's an individuals choice to recognize the dark part of everything. Evil can be found in everything; from the most religious of institutions, to the actions of politicians that run the planet. It's all about how you deal with it. Do you recognize the evil and fear it? Or do you see how to use it in your advantage and overcome it's source? That could just be my own interpretation though.

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ravenna
So if the COS is a 'philosophy' of self, and Satan is a symbol of that belief, what about the people I would call devil worshippers. The people that revert Christian symbols and mock Christianity. They too proclaim their belief in Satan. Can there be more than one 'Satanism' ?
Then there is the Temple of Set which is supposedly Satanic in nature, although I don't know if they are Laveyan based or not.

I wrote up some information I have gathered in my research on Satanism, which may clear up the questions of Satanism. It is not a complete work, but as accurate as I can make it.

On the Temple of Set, it is a breakoff group from the CoS, so it is no longer recognized by the CoS.

Here is my thread on Satanism.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Many Thanks,

-ADHDsux4me

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 05:04 PM
link   
yes ravenna
there are sadly a lot of misinformed people who confuse devilworship and satanism, plus they claim they worship satan

these are sick people who think its kool to be EVIL.

and a lot of movies don't help, they have "satanists"
going around being pure evil commiting "satanic" murders and wareing the baphomet symbol.

thats why I don't tell people unless they realize the differance.

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by goregrinder
Evil can be found in everything; from the most religious of institutions, to the actions of politicians that run the planet. It's all about how you deal with it. Do you recognize the evil and fear it? Or do you see how to use it in your advantage and overcome it's source?

That's an interesting idea, almost like using fire to fight fire. Yes, I do recognise evil and at times I have feared it. The various governments of the world truly scare me and at times I wonder what will become of us all. Then I just sit back and wait.

Originally posted by ADHDsux4me
Here is my thread on Satanism.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thanks for that. I'll give it a whirl.

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrentReznor
these are sick people who think its kool to be EVIL.

I think they'll learn soon enough that evil begets evil and they suddenly won't want to be kool anymore.

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I've read the Satanic Bible and actually found it entertaining. I don't agree with most of Anton LaVey says, but some of it does ring a bell.

KayEm's mom once considered me 'Satanic' because I have old folklore books about Pixies and have bought KayEm books about Wicca. She's still worried that we will end up stoking the fires because she heard the old saying that the pixies are Too bad for heaven but too good for Hell and that anyone who believes in them will go where they do at the end of the world.

Thats got to be Pixyland, so I'm ok

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Thats got to be Pixyland, so I'm ok or maybe SLC

Can there be more than one 'Satanism' ?
just as there is more than one christianity?

posted on Nov, 23 2004 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by stalkingwolf
Thats got to be Pixyland, so I'm ok or maybe SLC

SLC ?
I assume you mean Salt Lake City ?
Definitely not Pixyland

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 03:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pisky
I've read the Satanic Bible and actually found it entertaining.

I liked it better the first time I read it...when it was called "Thus Spake Zarathustra" by Friedrich Nietzsche.

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrentReznor
there are sadly a lot of misinformed people who confuse devilworship and satanism, plus they claim they worship satan

The difference between these two is huge. The two should not be mistaken.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join