It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Staring people on this site - and/or just loking at the name of the poster?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I'm placing this thread in the general conspiracy board because I just caught myself staring a thread because of the poster and not the content of the thread.

I'm actually kind of ashamed by this. It shouldn't matter the poster but the poster's content. At least that is what I try and tell myself. Obviously by what I just witnessed myself doing, I just did the contrary to that mind-set.

Anyway, there are two reasons why I post this thread in the "general conspiracies" board.

1. Am I programmed from a young age to do what I described above? ie...side with your own mindset (which goes deeper than I'm portraying now)...basically, this is the main reason to start this discussion.

2. There was nowhere else to put the thread.

Hope the admin don't mind some lightening up of this site every once in a while.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Griff

It goes the other way too, you wouldn't believe how many people have commented or mentioned that I can't know what I'm talking about because I have a wrestler as an avatar.

How immature and ridiculous is that?

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

About as ridiculous as your avatar i'd say

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   

I'm not such a big fan of wrestling, but I'm 3 hours new to ATS and have no avitar so I have no such opinion in what to take serious or not, also I imagin I should learn better gramer and spelling. I only looked here because the name caught my eye, as to the reply, I really need to u2u someone who needs an education even more so then myself, I'm also trying to keep my posts valid and without BS, but I'm afraid I just broke my rule by replying here. (shame)

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 09:16 PM
link   
I still think a negative star would be a good idea. Kinda like a thumbs up vs thumbs down for you. But blah blah.. ya, here to promote positive output. Guess I'm just hard core like that

STAR FOR EVERYONE! YOU ALL HAVE COOL AVATARS!!!

except you killacaboose :p

I hope this turns into the win a free star thread!

[edit on 15-1-2009 by Techsnow]

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Dude, I like your avatar.

Even though we don't see eye to eye on everything, it does not matter to me.

Anyway, another point of this thread is to ask if anyone else has done the same thing as I? Staring someone just because they are your "friend"?

[edit on 1/15/2009 by Griff]

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 09:23 PM
link   
I am intrigued by some of the avatars, Mystiq for one, many others too

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Griff

Dude, I like your avatar.

Even though we don't see eye to eye on everything, it does not matter to me.

Anyway, another point of this thread is to ask if anyone else has done the same thing as I? Staring someone just because they are your "friend"?

[edit on 1/15/2009 by Griff]

Most of those that im friends with, I tend to agree with them on most topics, so if I see the response AND agree with it, I star it. However, I am not close with everyone on my friends list and dont star every single post made by every single person on my list.

I also [often] star people whom im not friends with....because to me, I dont care if im "friends" with them or if I always agree with them - its the response that counts IMO.

I also know that sometimes my friends star me and sometimes they dont.
How do I know? Because many times I post in the same thread as them and my response will have NO stars
darn friends!

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Griff

I'm not a big flagger or starrer (two new words for today
)

But I have been guilty of starring friends posts, I think most of us have.

This is why having a negative star system is a bad idea, because it would be abused by the biased among us

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Ok. Who starred me??? Tell me tell me

U2U will be fine.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo
Ok. Who starred me??? Tell me tell me

U2U will be fine.

I think there's a star happy hippy getting about in this thread....

They must luuuurve our avatars

Edit: Techsnow has admitted to being the star happy hippy!
(I should remember to read up after my post to see if anyone else posted before me)

...damn hippies....

[edit on 15-1-2009 by Chadwickus]

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   
I gotta admit that there are some hotties in the avatars.
I think we all have a bias towards the people we like but I find that when I have a regular 'opponent' that I still respect then I am more likely to star them when we agree than to star somebody who I always agree with.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 10:17 PM
link   
It could possibly be just the way we were brought up. To favor certain things over the other. I think I get this problem too, but usually I read like the first few posts to get an idea of what's going on.

you're probably gonna laugh at this one, but, I always thought the Anonymous ATS avatar was so awesome, that this guy really knew his stuff.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 10:19 PM
link   
I hope my avatar doesn't make people treat me weird, I don't think it does...
Does it?
It's me, so I think it's honest.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus

Edit: Techsnow has admitted to being the star happy hippy!
(I should remember to read up after my post to see if anyone else posted before me)

...damn hippies....

[edit on 15-1-2009 by Chadwickus]

My source revealed my true identity! I stand guilty as charged

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 10:23 PM
link   
i try to consider the content not the user, i see stars as an indication that i agree with whats said - an indicator when reading a thread how others feel, if i scan down a thread i read the ones with the most stars.

but yes you do it because of a desire to agree with your friends which is hardwired into your brain, its probably a survival instinct -if the heard goes left then go left, the fool that goes right gets isolated and eaten by the lions.

also the government really wants you to obey someone you respect as an authority, if you think they are in someway 'in charge' then you'll agree before you know what they're saying -probably because thats how were taught to react by society weather its to priests, governments or scientists -everyone wants you to obey.

also its because you're insecure and needy at heart (human) and feel that somehow your friend will star you back in the same wat?

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I will admit three things.

One, there are certain people who get my S&F more often then others, just because our views are more aligned.

Two, I am a little bit biased against those with no avatar. I don't know why. I think this makes me think on some level that they are less trustworthy, because I do not have that image to remember or judge (not in a bad) way.

Three, I am a little bit more likely to take an established member seriously... just like I would put more credance in something my friends said versus someone I don't know on the street.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Griff

There are members here that I have had the pleasure of getting to know a little.... as much as you can over the internet... safely.

With a username like I have, some people automatically assume that I am satan himself, especially when posting in the religious forum's. However there are some that look past that, those are the people I truly enjoy on this site.

For some reason I thought at first that chadwickus was eddie gurrero.

NO, he is just a wrestling fan just as I am.

[edit on 15-1-2009 by pureevil81]

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 10:48 PM
link   
What am I thinking...

Never admit anything!

[edit on 15-1-2009 by lernmore]

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 10:52 PM
link   
If a post makes me stop instead of skimming through it, it usually gets a star.

If a post makes me audibly say "interesting", it gets a star.

I am guilty of giving a star for a nice avatar before though.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join