It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Topics of school essays in the Russian Empire

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2024 @ 07:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: RussianTroll

to teach them to THINK,

To teach people to think for themselves is an act of love in my eyes.

And this world needs a lot of love, especially now - I think the survival of humanity depends on love because a beautiful mind is an intelligent mind.

posted on Apr, 5 2024 @ 08:24 AM
link   
a reply to: PrivateAngel

What are you going to do to the always present bad people in the world?
Yes there are plenty. Always existed. They will eat your love and peace for breakfast, then chew it and spit it out.

The rest agrees with you 100%

Serious question btw.

posted on Apr, 5 2024 @ 08:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: PrivateAngel

to teach them to THINK,

To teach people to think for themselves is an act of love in my eyes.

And this world needs a lot of love, especially now - I think the survival of humanity depends on love because a beautiful mind is an intelligent mind.

The tradition of teaching children to think, and not just tick boxes in tests, has passed into the Soviet school. When I graduated from high school, the final exams required me not to simply memorize, but to understand the essence, the basics, then the boundary conditions using the methodology. On these grounds, at the university I did not just visually memorize, for example, the equations of string vibration, but derived them myself. Thinking is the basis of education.

posted on Apr, 5 2024 @ 08:35 AM
link   
a reply to: RussianTroll

Riiight... 20% of the whole Russian society were literate by the end of the 19th century. That was the heritage of the "glorious" Russian Empire. After 1905 revolution, it rose to 40% because the elementary schooling was made mandatory. Yeah you're right. Stuffing people with knowledge wasn't an objective.

Lots of talk here about the famous 1984 novel but it was the Bolsheviks who improved the education system and opened the secondary and higher education for everyone, not just the privileged ones. Sure, it was full of propaganda but still it was a better option than the Tsar's "elite" education which left over 70% of the citizens illiterate.

posted on Apr, 5 2024 @ 08:39 AM
link   
a reply to: twistedpuppy

The question is controversial. I have complete statistics on education in the Russian Empire (by the way, Poland is also included in these statistics). Judging by your figures, Poland was completely illiterate))))

posted on Apr, 5 2024 @ 08:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Hecate666

Good question.

I want to post a reply, but I think I need to write a book to answer your question in a deep and thoughtful manner.

However, I will try to give a simple answer.

I try to focus on my own behavior first of all, because after all, I can only change myself - all I can do for others is to help and inspire them to also become stronger and better so their chance of happiness and freedom increases.

I think it is particularly important that we say NO to evil and corruption even if it is a scary thing to do because if people just stay silent when they see abuse etc, then it will just continue.

edit on 5-4-2024 by PrivateAngel because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2024 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Thinking is the basis of education.

Agreed!

And we learn the most in the school of life.

posted on Apr, 5 2024 @ 08:55 AM
link   

The question is controversial. I have complete statistics on education in the Russian Empire (by the way, Poland is also included in these statistics). Judging by your figures, Poland was completely illiterate))))

Poland under the Russian rule was no less backwards than Russia; well over 60% of illiteracy. The situation was better in the Polish Kingdom; over 30% of illiterate people. But don't forget that some Polish lands were under German rule and there only 4% of the society were illiterate because the education was made mandatory at the beginning of the 19 century. Say what you want but Russia greeted the 20th century being completely backwards when it comes to the education. It got much better in the Soviet times but Russia was always lagging behind the West.

posted on Apr, 5 2024 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Once again, I have all the statistics for the Russian Empire. This is a huge amount of information, and I read it all.
Poland had a high percentage of literacy due to its Jewish population. The bulk of the peasants vegetated. And this despite the fact that the Orthodox part of the people (mainly Belarus) in the Kingdom of Poland as part of Russia was oppressed.
edit on 5-4-2024 by RussianTroll because: correct

posted on Apr, 5 2024 @ 09:26 AM
link   

You have incredibly smart people everywhere in the world whether they’ve read Russian side of things or the wests for example.
All education systems around the world could be better and should be FREE in my eyes all the way through university as well.
However, I’m failing to understand all your posts and what gain you’re trying to achieve?
Russia is no better than anywhere else , there’s corruption and crime , poverty , uneducated people .
If you want to educate then think your approach needs to change a little ?

posted on Apr, 5 2024 @ 09:31 AM
link   
a reply to: G1111B1234

I've already been asked why I'm on the forum.
I always answered, someone smokes weed, someone drinks alcohol, someone loves LGBT people, and my thrill is communicating on the ATS forum.)))

posted on Apr, 5 2024 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Fair enough , like your answer.
edit on 5-4-2024 by G1111B1234 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2024 @ 10:26 AM
link   

I always answered, someone smokes weed, someone drinks alcohol, someone loves LGBT people, and my thrill is communicating on the ATS forum.)))

Good answer. I just think you may be very proud of your homeland and there is nothing wrong with it. I am proud of being German [I can tell you from our School outings in primary school to places such as the Hartz and visiting castles and reading Goethe and doing Easteregg hunts in spring in our vast Forests etc etc. My memories are deep], I am also proud to live in beautiful England.
Both countries, just as Russia had their not so good moments too, but frankly I had literally nothing to do with any of them.
We all grew up in our homeland with fond memories. Memories you don't know about, but just as strong as yours!

What I find slightly sad is that you are still harbouring hate for everyone who lives in a country you were told is 'evil'.

Yes they are nice school essays, bravo. Yet all the kids when I was young 70s and 80s were probably fed communist propaganda hidden within harmless subjects and beautiful posters.

I find your posts often thoughtful... but dude, can you stop with slagging off whole countries based on whatever you were told?
Any chance of trying to see the world from other people's views, find empathy and similarities instead of concentrating on all things bad?

The world is already in the hands of a nasty bunch of leaders. We don't need to follow their idiocy here at the lower end.

posted on Apr, 5 2024 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Hecate666

I have a lot of German friends from Germany. They live mainly in communes in the East, but also in elite villages in the Alps near the road to Switzerland, and also in the north-east near the borders with Belgium. All of them came to Russia to the Caucasus for our annual meetings of classmates. So I know life in Germany very well, especially since I can dial them via WhatsApp at any time. I remember in the general chat I was indignant at how in the final of the Champions League football the referees were clearly playing along with the English. My German friends reassured me that most Germans do not support top clubs, but local ones.
I know Germany well.

posted on Apr, 5 2024 @ 10:52 AM
link   

"I remember in the general chat I was indignant at how in the final of the Champions League football the referees were clearly playing along with the English."

That's because our evil Royal family pay them handsomely.

posted on Apr, 5 2024 @ 12:14 PM
link   

"my thrill is communicating on the ATS".

Except for those that you refuse to answer?

posted on Apr, 5 2024 @ 06:54 PM
link   

I don't have a lot of time right now, so I'll just say this for now... Here in the US, I have the impression that children start off with normal topics like any other children, but by the time they enter into high school and college, that's when the indoctrination begins, and their instinct for beauty, their passion, their hobbies, etc. is squeezed out of them by the pressures of life. After graduating, they develop an aversion for learning.

I'm just making a generalized inference. I dropped out from high school around 11th grade about a decade ago, so I don't know what college is like first-hand, just what I heard from other students. So a lot might've changed since then, a lot can change in just a decade.

But I think a lot of great educational reform proposals have been floating around since the early 19th century and haven't really been implemented by schools, the whole education system is in need of a renovation.

posted on Apr, 6 2024 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Russia is great. Im embarrested by the amount of people i know that hate Russia and believe they are # stirring, ukrain stealing, "russian hackers" oh and putin is a dictator, all becauze their tv or phone told them to preceive this as so. Im pretty sure the ztate of indiana alone has more people in prison then the entire Russian Empire. Im talking about crimes without victims. Maybe ill do more research on the definition of dictatorship

reply to: RussianTroll

posted on Apr, 6 2024 @ 03:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hecate666

Good answer. I just think you may be very proud of your homeland and there is nothing wrong with it. I am proud of being German [I can tell you from our School outings in primary school to places such as the Hartz and visiting castles and reading Goethe and doing Easteregg hunts in spring in our vast Forests etc etc. My memories are deep], I am also proud to live in beautiful England.
Both countries, just as Russia had their not so good moments too, but frankly I had literally nothing to do with any of them.
We all grew up in our homeland with fond memories. Memories you don't know about, but just as strong as yours!

What I find slightly sad is that you are still harbouring hate for everyone who lives in a country you were told is 'evil'.

Yes they are nice school essays, bravo. Yet all the kids when I was young 70s and 80s were probably fed communist propaganda hidden within harmless subjects and beautiful posters.

I find your posts often thoughtful... but dude, can you stop with slagging off whole countries based on whatever you were told?
Any chance of trying to see the world from other people's views, find empathy and similarities instead of concentrating on all things bad?

The world is already in the hands of a nasty bunch of leaders. We don't need to follow their idiocy here at the lower end.

Lovely post.

Yes, people are the "same" all over this planet.

And therefore, we can't generalize.

But one thing is for sure - NEVER follow bad leaders that tells you to hate your fellow man!

We are all energy and we are just born here to have an experience - so make the best of it while you are here.

posted on Apr, 7 2024 @ 04:49 AM
link   

Hello ATS!

"Rossiyskaya Gazeta" publishes the article "What topics for essays were offered to high school students at the beginning of the 20th century." I want to share with you, dear ATS members, an excerpt from this article.

"So, here are some of the topics offered to high school students aged 12-13 at the beginning of the twentieth century:

- The fading of our garden in autumn.
- River on a moonlit night.
- Meeting the troops returning from the campaign.
- The forest at its best.
- Steamboat pier.
- Grandfather's kindergarten.
- Train arrival.

Here are the "Story Topics" for elementary grades:

- About what the bird saw in distant lands.
- The history of building a house and growing a garden with it...
- Giants and pygmies of the forest kingdom.

And here are “Topics of heterogeneous content” for senior high school students:

- The word as a source of happiness.
- Why is life compared to a journey?
- Homeland and foreign side.
- About the transience of life.
- What items make up the wealth of Russia and why?
- About the high dignity of human words and writing.
- About the fragility of happiness based solely on material wealth.
- About the manifestation of the moral principle in history.
- What is the spiritual connection between ancestors and descendants based on?”

A superficial analysis shows the depth of the approach to education, the goal of which is the formation of a full-fledged Personality, true patriotism, focused on the surrounding space. This presupposes the objectives of the School - not to “stuff people with knowledge” (as in a modern school!), but to teach them to THINK, to understand the MEANINGS of the surrounding life, both within the country and outside it. This is the main task of science in the 21st century.

Recently in Russia the Ministry of Education was renamed the Ministry of Enlightenment, as it was in the Russian Empire.

Thank you.

For what it is worth.

I think this is very beautiful.

Just remember that love is the greatest of all my friend.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join