It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Bush Compares Colombia's War on Drugs to U.S. War on Terrorism

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 06:59 PM
link   
President Bush while on a South American trip, today praised Colombia's Government for the battle on drug gangs and corruption. According to the following report Bush will ask his republican majority congress to renew an aid package next year. In the streets of the United States of America Colombian drugs are in very good supply. Can the "War on drugs" be compared to the war on terrorism?

CNN.com Full Article

CARTAGENA, Colombia (CNN) -- President Bush heaped praise Monday on Colombia's government for battling drug gangs and corruption and said he will ask Congress to renew a U.S. aid package next year.

Bush equated Colombia's battle against the coc aine trade with the United States' struggle against terrorism, and said Colombian President Alvaro Uribe has made progress in fighting the kidnappings, killings and drug trafficking that have wracked Colombia for decades.

"My nation will continue to help Colombia prevail in this vital struggle," he said.

Asked whether he would seek the same level of aid currently provided under "Plan Colombia," the package President Clinton pushed through Congress in 2000, Bush said he will work with lawmakers "to achieve a level that will make the plan effective."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Are the Colombians winning the war on drugs?

The level of Colombian drugs inside the USA needs no proof.. Ask anyone who uses coc aine or marijuana.

Can the war on drugs be compared to the war on terrorism?

In a way it can, yet in the war on drugs there is a much higher level of corruption. The Colombians live in a nation that recieves a large boost to its economy from illegal drugs. This fact cannot be hidden or denied.

Yet the Colombian government gets words of Praise from our President.

Can we teach Bush to deny ignorance?

To the average Colombian and to the average U.S. junkie or drug user little has changed, and for them that is just fine.

As long as there are huge profits to be had, a vast demand, and people who can be paid off the drug trade will continue, Colombia along with much of South America will continue to try to fill the North American demand for illegal drugs.

We can't stop this anymore than they could have stopped those planes on September 11, 2001

But from Bush Colombia gets praise, and the promise of more money!

Of course these are my own opinions, and my take on the news of the day and may not reflect the same from ATS or its staff.

[edit on 22-11-2004 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Can the "War on drugs" be compared to the war on terrorism?

Well of course it can,
its certainly useless fighting against yourself, isn't now?

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Great analogy! They are both wars that cannot be won. Both problems are too engrained and ancient to be solved completley

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 08:27 PM
link   
the war on drugs was successful. the cia now controls the drug trade.
the war on terrorism is now cornering the market on terror.
go team.

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 08:29 PM
link   
War on drugs is communist-mindset (state control) trying to dictate a free market that has high demand. It will never work on a logical or practical level, and at higher echelons this fact is realized, so its simply exploited for other means.

Meanwhile, dumbasses across the country simply nod their heads. "Drugs are bad, mmmkay, so we should have a war on drugs, mmmmkay?"

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 08:34 PM
link   
The War on Drugs and War on Terror are linked in Columbia.
The FARC use drugs for revenue. The FARC also do lovely things like drop artillery and mortar rounds into churches on Sunday morning. They shoot helpess downed helicopter pilots, injured and still strapped into the birds.

Is columbia winning? The new president is throwing all resources he can at teh problem, the problem is the numerous communist nations surrounding Columbia are doing all they can to stack the deck.

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 08:47 PM
link   
To expand on what billybob is saying: Bush & Company ARE the Terrorists and Drug Import Cartel. The CIA and Bush Sr. have been working together on getting their hands on Drug Money for a long time!!

Check these out:
KINGPIN INDICTMENT OF GEORGE BUSH
www.wethepeople.la...
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA vs. GEORGE HERBERT WALKER BUSH
Racketeering 18 USC � 1961et seq.
Conspiracy to Import Narcotics 21 USC �� 952 & 963
Continuing Criminal Enterprise 21 USC � 848
Conspiracy To Obstruct Justice 18 USC � 1503
Conspiracy To Obstruct Congress 18 USC � 1505

GEORGE BUSH'S DRUGGING OF AMERICA:
HOW IT WAS ACCOMPLISHED

www.wethepeople.la...

CIA Linked To Seal's Assassination - George Bush's Personal Phone Number Found in Seals' Trunk
www.wethepeople.la...
Aug. 18, 1997 - The Washington Weekly
"The biggest drug smuggler in American History was a CIA Agent."

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
Is columbia winning? The new president is throwing all resources he can at teh problem, the problem is the numerous communist nations surrounding Columbia are doing all they can to stack the deck.

Throwing all resources he can at the problem.. Yet the problem stays consistant!

Is the point being made yet?

Bush compares the war on drugs to the war on terrorism... I have to wonder does anyone get the subliminal message?

The more you fight either of these two evils the worse it seems to get!

Just another day.. and once again the truth finds a way to slip through.

Gazz

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
The War on Drugs and War on Terror are linked in Columbia.
The FARC use drugs for revenue. The FARC also do lovely things like drop artillery and mortar rounds into churches on Sunday morning. They shoot helpess downed helicopter pilots, injured and still strapped into the birds.

TC, I have a $1,000 dollar bet for you. I bet that Columbia will always produce coc aine until the day there is no demand for it, regardless of how much effort is put into eradication and interdiction.

posted on Nov, 22 2004 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Your Kidding me right?

The only way I can see these two related is the fact that they Keep American Companies in Business.

You have a Drug Trade which if it was Stopped, You would have Rehabs, and the Professionals that work at them, out of Business and Work. Then you have Jails, Cops, Insurance Companies, the list goes on..

Terrorism, as of now, starts wars. This puts and Keeps people in Business. We have seen it in Iraq and Afghanistan. Huge Contracts, Millions of Workers.

How are you going to Kill Millions of Jobs and hundreds, if not thousands of companies?

The only way to curb drugs is just leagelize them.
The only way to curb terrorism is to have 1000% World support.

I see neither of these scenarios coming to play.
To quote the Wu-Tang Clan

Cash Rules Everything Around Me
CREAM Get the Money........

Greed and Power will never go away, and these two things will get worse...

Wait a Minute, don't we have forces in Afghanistan, Yet they are producing more Heroin???

[edit on 22-11-2004 by TrickmastertricK]

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrickmastertricK

You have a Drug Trade which if it was Stopped, You would have Rehabs, and the Professionals that work at them, out of Business and Work. Then you have Jails, Cops, Insurance Companies, the list goes on..

Let's see. According to your model, we should discourage fire safety because we might put firemen out of work. We should encourage violence against women because women's clinics and safe houses would be put out of business. We should should encourage child abuse because Social Workers would be put out of business. We should stop searching for cures for diseases because MDs would be put out of work. Let's not fight tooth decay because dentists will be put out of work. The list becomes endless and the logic less clear.

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 08:39 PM
link   
War on Drugs like war on terrorism.

Well as we can see US has done a terrific job on drugs so I guess, giving the results of the war on drugs so far, I can see how the war on terrorism is going to end.

Our president is a genious.

posted on Nov, 27 2004 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
Let's see. According to your model, we should discourage fire safety because we might put firemen out of work.

That analogy doesn't work Grady, sorry. Having drugs illegal hurts society more than it helps through increased drug prices and violence. Prohibition anyone?

new topics

top topics

join