It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Iraq War Today From Arab and U.S. News Media

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Though we grow tired and somewhat numb to the news from Iraq these days as it seems to remain dominant in both western and Arab news. We should always try to look at how both sides are reporting this news. According to the following report from Al Jazeera violence continues to grow all over Iraq as does opposition to the U.S. occupation and to the U.S. led govenment in Iraq. It could 'seem' as though Iraq is quickly spiraling out of control in the aftermath of the battle of Fallujah.

Al Jazeera.net Full Article

Fighters opposed to the US-led government in Iraq have attacked Iraqi and US forces in Baghdad in daylight, with violence continuing to rage across the country.

A dawn assault with rocket-propelled grenades on a police station in the mainly Sunni district of Adhamiya on Saturday killed at least three officers - a day after Iraq's US-backed National Guard raided a historic mosque.

Meanwhile, a Polish woman freed by kidnappers in Iraq and flown to Warsaw said she was treated well, raising hopes for other foreign captives after a week in which the only other woman held captive, British aid worker Margaret Hassan, was thought to have been killed.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

A look at some images being shown in the Arab and Muslim news media today:

Is this Arab and Muslim war propaganda?

Is Iraq spiraling out of control?

Other News From Al Jazeera:

ICRC blasts 'inhumanity' of Falluja battles

Outcome of US Falluja assault disputed

Are things really this bad in Iraq today?

This is the way the Arab and Muslim world see the news, bias may only be seen depending on which side you are on.

I believe no one will argue that Iraq is now a very unstable place, and that it is trapped in a viscous cycle of war and violence.

Or are those in the Arab media trying to make things in Iraq look worse than they actually are?

A look at reports from Iraq today from Western News media:

US, Iraqi forces raid Sunni mosque

Iraqi, US forces raid mosque in Baghdad, hospital in Mosul

Rebels Attack Baghdad Police, Troops

Baghdad force under attack by rebels

Just another day in Iraq, nothing unusual right?

I am afraid that since the end of Saddam and his regime Iraq has indeed become a place far worse than before. I do not blame the U.S. military for this, The blame could be placed on terrorists and radical islamists who seek to exploit the current situations in Iraq to gain control of government and the sooner they can rid Iraq of the U.S. occupation the sooner than can take control.

We are at a point where we must rise up and take control of Iraq at any or all costs, or we will be trapped with too few men in an ever growing cycle of violence.

[edit on 20-11-2004 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 04:01 PM
link   
We are now at a point where there will be one of two endings.

1) We retreat and leave Iraq in a mess giving terrorists and troublemakers the leaverage to do what ever they like to whomever they like.

Or

2) We finish this, US and UK get more troops out there in overwhelming numbers and crush the resistance in a massive operation.

I dont believe we should have gone out there to start with, but there we are and we must finish this now. No point on deficating on someones carpet without cleaning it up...

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by rustiswordz
1) We retreat and leave Iraq in a mess giving terrorists and troublemakers the leaverage to do what ever they like to whomever they like.

Or

2) We finish this, US and UK get more troops out there in overwhelming numbers and crush the resistance in a massive operation.

Thanks rustiswordz

These really are the only two options we have.. I have tried to see another way and I am afraid this is it.

It would almost seem as if we are damned if we do and damned if we don't now... totally.

One thing is sure... This can't continue on the current path... The sad part is we can forget liberation and democracy for Iraqis now.. we are too busy just trying to stay alive.

Its time to be proactive it seems. We have to act... By all accounts it will be years before the Iraqi army has enough numbers to control their own security... and remember the wars in Iraq have for the most part left Iraq defencless.. They have no real air power.. and as of right now about 8,000 trained army soldiers... So really leaving Iraq means they not only can't control their own population.. they have no way to defend against any invasion from another nation.. such as Iran.

The only real option we have is to send in more U.S. forces and wage war in a manner that will seem like a massacre to many around the world... The end would be a more passive Iraq.. But at what cost in both lives and money?... Most of all that security will have to be maintained.. for many years beyond the battles.. Iraq is not going to get better on its own.. and we can't just put a bandaid on it and walk away now... Can we?

Too late to look back and say what we could have done better, or to debate why we went to war.. It is now time to do something to end the violence or get the hell out.

To continue as we are only makes it worse in the long term.

Gazz

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 05:09 PM
link   
The Fourth Crusade sack of Constantinople was also
pretty bad..

History will not record the destruction of Iraq favorably.

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Guzz is not doubt in my mind that things are bad in Iraq, if Iraq was good to go our troops will not be fighting everyday over there.

Yes Iraq is hostile country to US troops.

That the Arab media is using the photos for propaganda is not doubt and their purpose is to enrage the muslin community, and to draw more martyrs to their cause.

But is not denial that those pictures are truth and no body is lying. While our troops are trying to help it also lots of casualties of war in the civilian community.

The more US fight the more will die, and it makes the US look like the bad guys.

Poor planning and the rush to this war is the only thing to blame for what is going on.

Those pictures are no fair to our troops and to the people of Iraq either.

Every time I see on TV the cities and streets in Iraq I wonder how the people can live with so much destruction in that country.

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 07:02 PM
link   
It seems to me there is only 1 right thing to do.

If we don�t finish the job, cleanup the mess and make sure that Iraq is in a position to protect itself and determine it�s own destiny as a sovereign nation, then we have failed miserably, and the consequences may not only be quite ugly, but also quite fatal.

If we leave the country to fend for itself against an onslaught of power hungry terrorists, then it would be like gutting an animal and leaving it to fight off a pack of starving hyenas. The stability of the entire Middle East would be jeopardized, creating a firestorm so ferocious and widespread that the whole world would ignite in a fireball. Something of this magnitude could, indeed, setoff a worldwide conflict and possibly World War III (nukes and all).

Like I said, IMHO, we really have no choice at all.

As far as what we must do, also IMHO, we must eat a little humble pie and do the nasty. That�s right. We must take the last resort option and try our hand at DIPLOMACY. Sorry, I know how that word can be offensive to many. But, it�s our only chance. Unfortunately, this is where Condi Rice steps in. God help us all!!

I think that with some long past due begging and grovelling, the U.S. might just pickup a few nations willing to help us out in the process of righting this unforgiveably wrong and desperate situation. But it would take some SERIOUS concessions and a convincing show of remorse and regret on our part. No funny business. We would be starting out from a position of being considered untrustworthy and dishonest. It would not be easy, and, considering the arrogance of our current administration, it may not even be possible.

Considering the consequences, though, the rest of the world may feel compelled to step in and help us out of our mess for the sake of their own security. Certainly not because they empathize with us. Because, if the U.S. fails, then the whole world�s collective butt is on the line.

Our only savior here is that at least most of the rest of the world is intelligent enough to realize the ramifications of leaving the job undone in Iraq.

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Nedbound, you hit a spot in your post.

US needs to realized that by itself it can not control Iraq, US needs to come to terms that having 85 percent of the forces right now in Iraq is not good.

US needs help and the faster is realized that we will be able to save the life of our troops.

Mr. Bush is to arrogant to admit that he is in trouble and that he alone can to take over iraq.

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 09:09 PM
link   
All I can add to this is that I am deeply frustrated over this war, now because I have a family member there and have seen the results of this war first hand in another young man that I may one day call son-in-law.

I see no real way to win in Iraq... only a never ending series of attacks and battles with the arab and muslim population and insurgents.

We are just by being there now only making things worse not better for the common Iraqi.. They are not happy .. do you blame them?

They do not see the news the same way we do... but in the above report they do see the same news that we do.

Will it ever end?

There are only questions and no real answers, all we can do is hope that our leaders are working toward a solution that will bring some kind of end to this insanity in Iraq.

The world is growing more divided with each passing day.

Gazz

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by UM_Gazz
All I can add to this is that I am deeply frustrated over this war, now because I have a family member there and have seen the results of this war first hand in another young man that I may one day call son-in-law.

I see no real way to win in Iraq... only a never ending series of attacks and battles with the arab and muslim population and insurgents.

We are just by being there now only making things worse not better for the common Iraqi.. They are not happy .. do you blame them?

They do not see the news the same way we do... but in the above report they do see the same news that we do.

Will it ever end?

There are only questions and no real answers, all we can do is hope that our leaders are working toward a solution that will bring some kind of end to this insanity in Iraq.

The world is growing more divided withe each passing day.

Gazz

I'm no fan of Bush and Blair, their decitions that led us here is dubious at best.

But as i said we are in it now, lets clear it up. I know many people who have family and friends in Iraq and i can tell you they are worried sick.

What frigtens me in the long term is that muslim and Christian will grow more divided to the point that the violence we see in iraq will spread. I have muslim friends, i also work with many Muslims (Im from UK we have a huge muslim population here)

I dont want to have to wake up in 10 years and find that i have to start to treat my friends as enemies and in my job as a security officer it may come to that.

I hope Messers Bush n Blair doesnt do anything to spread this war beyond its borders in Iraq.

I feel that Mr B n B both have grossly underestimated the Muslim people or their resolve or the way they see things. To them Muslim faith comes first, before country before anything else. We in the west see 'a war in iraq' the Muslims see, 'a challenge to their Faith and way of life'

We in the west will rue the day if we dont take this into cosideration.

posted on Nov, 20 2004 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I think it is time for Mr. Bush to get down on his hands and knees and Beg the rest of the world for help. It is time to stop the Mess that has become of Iraq. Whether you are for or against the war, it needs to end Quickly, and the troops that are there are not enough. For the safety of all troops that are there, and the Stability of the Region, Everyone Needs to get involved NOW. Since the Big Operation in Fallujah, Baghdad and Mosul, amongst other cities, are seeing more of an uprising. Its only going to get worse before the election and we can not really deal with ALL that is going on right now. The Propaganda, or Truth, depending on how you are looking at it, is surging, and we have seen it most recently in Gazz's posting. Thank You Gazz

The thing I think People are failing to see is that what we may deem as Propaganda from Middle East Outlets, is being held as Truth to those in the Region. Since 9-11, so many copy-cat, Wannabe, whatever you want to call it, Al-Qaeda groups popped up. The feeling through most of these groups is "Hey, we can do it, we can Hurt a superpower, lets go". I have seen this kinda talk all over Jihad sites. The fact that the United States of America was infiltrated the way it was on 9-11, gives them alot of Promise. The recruitment is strong, and may only be a matter of time before we are clearly outnumbered there.

Gazz, it wont end, untill the rest of the World sees the broader picture of the effects this could have in the Region. Bush needs to do whatever it takes to get Everyone involved. No holds barred. And ya know what. I do not see that happening.

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 03:37 PM
link   
IMHO, a "BIG" person is one who can admit when they have made a mistake, one that can acknowledge that others have valid opinions, one who understands that there are many situations requiring a "team effort" for a favorable outcome, and one who is capable of putting aside personal agendas for the benefit of the group. Someone having those qualities would likely gain my respect and admiration.

Unfortunately, the current administration is lacking all the above qualities, IMO, and, therefore, I have no faith in it at all to do the right thing. This makes the undesireable outcomes all the more likely. As much as I would like for cooler heads to prevail, for some reason it just seems like it would be out of place for this administration to take that approach. It's not George's style. He's probably sitting in his office right now thinking, "God, tell me, please, how would John Wayne handle this mess? You want me t' go ahead on into Iran and Syria and clean their corrals? There's lots o' desperados over there t' string up, and America still has plenty o' rope t' do the job. As you are aware, I got me a blank check from Congress the other day, and I'm just rearin' t' spend it. So, please, Almighty Lord, just send me a sign, any sign, and I'll dutifully carry out your directive. By the way, was the Duke's real name Marion? Seems I read that somewhere. That don't invoke much fear ...".

Sorry, I couldn't help it.

I'll leave it there. IMHO, it's not too late to slide out of, or somewhat correct, this mess in Iraq, but time is definitely not on our side, as well as many other things. I hope this works out for the best, but my cynical side keeps telling me that we will likely reap what we've sewn. Day by day, the hole America is digging is gets deeper and deeper with no end in sight ...

[edit on 11/21/2004 by netbound]

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Everything will be fine for the Middle East as soon as the US leaves.
What do you think all the fighting is about?

Was it to get rid of Saddam? (Done)
Was it to bring democracy to the region? (Only a child would believe
democracy can be forced on the region)
Was it to find WMD? (Except there were none)
Was it to get revenge for 9/11? (Nope)
Is it to get bin Laden? Oh, yeah, that guy.. like there have not
been plenty of opportunities before.
I know.. it must be because they hate us for our freedom! Yeah,
thats' the ticket! This is true because Bush said so!

Come on people no need to get sappy about it.. if the US leaves
the region it will do just fine without the US. If the people of Israel
leave the region it will also do just fine.

(Does it really matter that everybody involved seems to be a
religious fanatic?)

(Oh wait, what about them hating us because of our freedoms?
Must be true because Bush said so.. uh huh.)
What other profound reasons is the fighting about?
WMD? (They were moved to Syria, yeah thats' the ticket!)
Get rid of Saddam? (He was a BAD man wasn't he?)
Bring democracy to the region? (Only a child, an idiot,
or a neocon, would believe democracy can be forced
on the culture)
But the US won't leave because the reason for being there
is to protect US interests. (Uh, or something like that..)
Oh, yeah, that guy bin Laden. He is why we are there! Uh,
sure. Or maybe it is fighting terrorism that is why the US is
in Iraq! Was it revenge for 9/11? No, no, it was the gay
marriage issue, yeah that is why the US is there! Sure, it
was a conspiracy all along. Really it is the Sodomites the
Jews hate. Or was it the Muslims that hate? Or heck
it was the Muslims that do that thing with little boys. Or
something.. it was in the news anyway so must be true!
No, no, God told Bush to attack? Or did he? Talks to
him all the time, anyway. Yeah, American values, APPLE PIE,
the family.. endless war for endless peace.

YAWN... everybody go back to watching
Saturday morning cartoons.. that is about the level of
credibility for ANYTHING in the news lately.

If this
post seems to repeat nonsense, and doesn't make much
sense, well, guess what? This is exactly the crap being
fed to the American public everyday by the government,
and the news media.

[edit on 21-11-2004 by mockan]

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 08:15 PM
link   
The situation in Iraq will only get worse and the U.S has no intention of getting out of Iraq in the near future whether they crush the resistance or not.

Fourteen huge, permanent bases are currently under construction in Iraq, along with the world's biggest embassy in Baghdad (3,500 employees, and counting).

LINK

with the formation of the Iraqi Interim Government and the opening of the largest US embassy compound in the world, it has become apparent just what kind of democracy the United States is foisting on Iraq and the Arab world. It will be a democracy with controlled elections, a repressive state security apparatus and a "free market" economy that favours US interests and the Iraqi economic elite.

LINK

14 US military bases are already under construction, enough to accommodate the (for the moment) 110,000 American soldiers who will stay in Iraq until at least 2007. No sovereign Iraqi government has approved the construction of these bases. Kimmitt - the No 2 Pentagon man in Iraq, and the one who launched total war on Fallujah - said the bases are "a blueprint for how we could operate in the Middle East".

LINK

America is in for the long haul in Iraq. How many deaths on both sides is anybodies guess.

posted on Nov, 21 2004 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Good post PSYCHOSIS. Also makes it clear why IRAN having nuclear
weapons is not good. What a prime target that embassy would make.

top topics

join