It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Secret to losing weight

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 11:40 PM
link   
"1,800 calories, 4 miles keep the weight off

LAS VEGAS — People who have lost weight and manage to keep it off limit their daily calories to about 1,800 and walk about 4 miles a day, according to a new study.

These findings are the latest look at the experiences of newer members of the National Weight Control Registry, a group of about 5,000 people who lost an average of 73 pounds and kept off at least 30 pounds for more than six years. The results were presented this week at the annual meeting of the North American Association for the Study of Obesity, conducted in collaboration with the American Diabetes Association."

(link to "New Topic" removed)

I wonder how many overweight people are starting their 4 mile walk now.

[edit on 17-11-2004 by kinglizard]

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 03:42 AM
link   
I decided to lose weight about 5 or 6 months ago, i lost 30lb's in about 2 months. I didnt change my diet AT ALL. I just worked out about 2hrs a day.

There are many ways to lose weight, i find working out the most effective.
Unfortunatly like many others, I work on a computer sometimes more than 12hrs a day. And it can be difficult to find the time. I have irregular work hours and am able to choose what days I work, but for those poor people stuck behind a desk day after day guess it's a little harder for them. Unless the average 9-5 worker walks 4miles a day, they better find a new profession or get on the atkins diet.

Vorta

[edit on 17-11-2004 by Vorta]

[edit on 17-11-2004 by Vorta]

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 04:03 AM
link   
I'm really not sure that's a secret in any sense. People know the way to lose weight is to excesise regularly and eat healthy. The closest thing to a secret to losing weight is Ephedrine, lots of soda (caffine) and working in an environment where you gotta move quick and do work with your hands.

I tell you what, started taking Ephidrine (Yellow Swarm) before my shift at a local fast-food resturant last summer, was so incredibly hyper and hard to wear down that the pounds just melted off, regardless of the fact that my wish wasn't to lose weight. Of course though, I'm not complainin, dropping from mens pants size 32 to 28 in a couple months will work for me.

Too bad Ephedrine was made illegal though, damn government peoples!

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 05:06 AM
link   
I'd say my secret is being lazy.... often get the urge to eat but can't be arsed to find myself something, lol. But it should be pretty obvious, don't eat when you're not hungry and get some form of regular excercise, I do quite an excessive amount with Martial Arts, uni, getting to friends houses, walkng home after nights out etc. I'm suprised this hasn't been said before... Oh wait, it has, a million times. More excercise = losing weight. How old is that idea!?

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 05:59 AM
link   
lol it always amuses me to see these "studies" that "reveal" exercising will help you loose weight. Duhh, really? I thought you had to eat more lard and watch more of those hot aerobics girls on telly

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Secret to weight loss is how much food you put in your mouth..

Exercise only plays a small part.

Walking 1 hour ( will lose mabe a choc bar of calories)

You can either walk or not eat the choc bar.

There is alot of lies and false direction the public is pushed into. This because the food industry is muilt billion dollar industry. If people were to come out and state that exercise is really not the way to lose weight, but eating less food. Is the way. The food industry would loss billions.

You can weight 150kg and sit at home watching televison and eat half of what you body needs in a day. Loss weight faster then a person that exercises and eats anything.

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Amazingly, I lost over 20lbs just by one change alone...getting rid of soda at work. I now drink water only at work, and it makes a big difference. While not going the route of "South Beach" or "Atkins", I do try to limit carbs as well nowadays, and that's helping now too...but I don't cut them out completely, or closely look at it.

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by surfup
I wonder how many overweight people are starting their 4 mile walk now.

I'm not familiar with the study you're quoting, surfup, but the magic number I've always heard is 10,000. Eat sensibly and walk at least 10,000 steps a day. Take the stairs. Walk down the street to get lunch, rather than taking the car. Take your dog for long walks. Use a pedometer to make sure you're not cheating.

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 09:41 AM
link   
How? Based on the FDA recommendations and study in Biology, there are some fundamental principles of diet and exercise:

Harder to digest - here's the chain from highest to lowest:

Saturated Fats - Also called animal fats. These are not only the largest source of weight gain, they average about 3 days to digest and are a leading source of heart disease. You can eat meat, just eat lean! Get that 99% fat-free burger, you'll pay more but get a great source of protein for exercising. Don't be fooled too, a lot of foods you'd think are low in Saturated Fats have them added. Have you seen the label on a Hershey's bar recently? Fast food is even worse. I try to say below 20% (about 5g) per meal. Cut Saturated Fats down.

Unsaturated Fats - aka plant fats. There's a lot of 'good' cholesterol here so don't cut them out entirely. Typical digestion about 24 hrs.

Complex Carbohydrates - Pasta, starches (potatoes and such), wheat, etc. Why people cut them out I have no idea. Moderation yes, but being they only take 8 hours to digest, they're a good source of energy as long as you exercise. Remember that unused materials can be stored as fat.

Complex Sugars - High Fructose Syrup is the leading culprit of the complex sugar family. Mostly found in sodas and all things unnaturally sweetened. If you want the last 5 pounds to drop, this is a good thing to get rid of. Look for alternatives like Sucrose - a much simplier sugar for the body to handle. Cut Complex Sugars down.

Simple Sugars - Found in fruits. Great meal replacements but keep in mind if you exercise, simple sugars alone are not going to do it. After an hour or two of nothing else, they're gone leaving you feeling tapped. To have the drive and energy for exercise, you should have some carbs.

Other Chemical Love - I'm not saying go organic here, but be aware of 'new' sweeteners and additives that you cannot pronounce or write out the chemical formula for. Does your body need Polysorbate 80? Monosodium Glutamate? Nope. How about artificial sweetner? Not only is it nasty tasting, it's been suspected to be carcinogenic (causing cancer) and destroying brain cells.

Exercise:
3 days a week, 1 hour or
1/2 hour 5 days a week or
15 minutes everyday

Cardio: The primary fat burner is going to be the exercises that increase your metabolism like jumping jacks, jogging, Kung-Fu, dancing, etc.

Strength Training/Toning: Now that your lean, time to get toned. Get some muscle and shape by pushing, stretching and lifting. Crunches are popular as well as weights, Yoga, Tai Chi, and push-ups.

Diet + Exercise = Weight loss. I love how fad diets and screw up this simple formula. The ultra-strict ones say cut calories, sugars, and go for micro-portions. If you're brave and don't mind passing out now and then, feel free but don't see where it's necessary.

Additional Benefits: Less chance or severity of getting sick (stronger immune system), reduction in bad cholestrol and longer term disease, energy to do the things you want to do, and even energy - no peaks and valleys throughout the day, feeling great, looking great, and easier waking-up and falling asleep (I don't know why but noticed a significant change since I had problems with both).

[edit on 17-11-2004 by saint4God]

top topics

join