It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FL Man to Reduce Hurricane Ivan's Strength

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 08:16 PM
link   

A South Florida businessman says he's going to try to reduce the strength of Hurricane Ivan by flying a Boeing 747 into the edge of the hurricane and dumping thousands of pounds of an absorbent material into the storm.

Peter Cordani of Jupiter plans to try to knock the storm down by one or two categories by dropping tons of powder that absorbs 3,000 to 4,000 times its weight.

www.local6.com...

Would this work? Sounds plausible.

[edit on 10-9-2004 by Jamuhn]

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Hmm, interesting yet utterly foolish and dangerous. This could backfire somwhat but since im not meteologist and have never had to go through a rough storm in my life(well if you consider a meter of snow in a day extreme but i dont), I can't really say. Isn't a Category 4 Hurricane measured by windspeed? How could an asborbant affect a hurricane one bit? Sorry but I'm a bit of a rookie when it comes too this but if this experiment works it could be a huge breakthrough. But where does all that force go? I would really like to know some of the science they are basing their assumpions on. I believe messing with the weather before we fully understand it is stupidity.

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 08:26 PM
link   
My god what will they come up with next.

This is just crazy and dangerous theres no way on earth it will work!

Good luck to the guy though!

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 08:28 PM
link   
I think it's crock. The angular momentum of the hurricane is too large to be affected by some tons of material dumped into it. It'll just keep spinning.

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Maybe if the FL business man goes down in the jet there would be one less waste of oxygen on the planet. You couldn't kill a single thunderstorm cell let alone take a hurricane down a couple of categories with a jet full of powder. Physically impossible. You would have a better shot of having the storm rain itself out instead of trying to dry it out.

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Umm... I think your right in saying that the Hurricane's category depends on the Wind Speed. Also, dumping stuff in the Hurricane wouldn't affect it, because the hurrican Feeds off the air and stuff ABOVE the storm.

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Wake up! It says right there in the article that the man is from Jupiter! This is what we have all been waiting for. An extraterrestrial to come to earth and share his advanced knowledge to improve life here on our planet. I just can't figure out why he's using a 747. Seems kind of low tech for an alien.

[edit on 04/9/10 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarkHelmet
...the hurrican Feeds off the air and stuff ABOVE the storm.

Warm waters feed a hurricane. That's why hurricane season runs from about April through November.

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
I just can't figure out why he's using a 747. Seems kind of low tech for an alien.

As is obvious from the aerospace threads on this boards, it's the avionics that matter. I'm sure the Jovian businessman outfitted the 747 with cutting edge gear secretly developed on their Moon base.

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aelita

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
I just can't figure out why he's using a 747. Seems kind of low tech for an alien.

I'm sure the Jovian businessman outfitted the 747 with cutting edge gear secretly developed on their Moon base.

Without a doubt this is the most plausible explanation. I should have thought of it myself.

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 08:52 PM
link   
This wacko has been trying to get someone to alow him to do thisfor a while
www.dynomat.com...

Fortunately, not everyone in Florida is that stupid.

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 08:56 PM
link   
All that chemical cannot be good for the enviroment. Even if it does work I believe it would leave enough energy behind to keep the large scale picture favoring more storms. I cant picture it working. Would we even hear about it if he does try, or fails to bring the jet home?

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 09:02 PM
link   
LOL!

Now that is funny!

[edit on 10-9-2004 by markjaxson]

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 09:08 PM
link   
What would that stuff do to the water, meaning wouldn't it pollute it?
And if it don't work do you think he's going to fly his plane in circles around the hurricane in the opposite direction to try and slow it down? :p

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 09:21 PM
link   
It would be crazy for any individual to attempt weather modification. If the hurricane became stronger, even through natural causes, it's possible that the blame for the strengthing could be placed upon the individual.

I don't think there's anyone, besides maybe some terrorist groups, who would want to be held responsible for possibly amplifying the effects a natural disaster.

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Nothing good can come out of weather modification.

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 09:37 PM
link   

The way the Dyn-O-Mat team is going after the storm is by using what is called a "Venturi Action". The "Venturi Action" can be described as a pie-shaped piece that will be cut from the outer band into the eye of the storm. The intended result of this action is to allow the system to use it's own strength on itself. Essentially disrupt the cell, in hopes of significantly weakening the devastating power of the storm. www.dynomat.com...

This sounds crazy enough to work. My fear is that the storm could be separated into two storms, if it had any effect, at all. Clearly, someone was willing to put some big bucks into this.

Hurricanes are fed by warm waters. If something could be done in short order to alter the temperature of the surface waters directly in front of the storm, that might work. However, remember that Frances was the size of Texas. That's a lot of territory.

[edit on 04/9/10 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 10:04 PM
link   
LOL, Grady, that's kind of ironic that he is from Jupiter.

But, yea, I think his plan is to toss these grains on the edge of the storm.

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Since Hurricanes feed off of warm water, this guys next great idea will probably dump tons of ice into its path. I'm sure that will do it.

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 11:35 PM
link   
What will they think of next?

If you think that's something, click on to THIS link:

news.bbc.co.uk...

I thought it was pretty funny myself!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join