It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Holes found in Windows XP update, SP2

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I'm a unix user, for obvious reasons.

news.bbc.co.uk
Barely hours after home users started securing their PCs with a key update for Windows XP, security experts have found ways around it.

The SP2 update makes XP less attractive to virus writers and malicious hackers by plugging widely exploited loopholes.

But discoveries by security firms Secunia and German company Heise show that some holes have been left open.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I don't know how M/S get away with this.
Sanc'.

[edit on 8-20-2004 by Valhall]

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Symanec link re, SP2 clashes and solutions if you use Nortons.

Few of Symantec's product offerings are affected by Windows� XP Service Pack 2 (SP2). The following are links to knowledge base documents that detail the issues between the product and SP2 and the steps that you need to take to resolve those issues.

www.symantec.com...
Sanc'.

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 03:56 PM
link   
These are exactly the reasons why I didn't jump to download SP2 when the released it. I am still going to wait another couple of weeks to install it.

Microsoft has a history of rushing updates out the door, simply to try and meet the hype. I can do without the hype.

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Im starting to look at Linux as an alternative. I know all O.S.'s have some holes, but I'm getting sick of XP.

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 06:44 PM
link   
I've done linux a couple times. Most recently Mandrake 8. It's good and solid. I just had a hard time finding apps, and installing them. Then I had a hard time using them. All that could just be me though.

I didn't have the patience to find the Linux way to do things. I had considered using Lindows. But I don't think it got too far, and I haven't heard anything about it in about a year.

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Always nice to see M$ is on top of the game of screwing up. I wonder if SP2 has done anything to plug the gaping holes that are in IE, or are they still suggesting people get a real browser instead?

If your looking for a nice, mature, user-friendly Linux distro my suggestion is SUSE 9.1. I've been sporting the pro version for a while now and its one of the smoothest installs I've ever seen. Even resized my NTFS partition to make room for a dual boot

top topics

join