It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Bill Gates Gives $45,000,000 for TB/AIDS Research

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Bill Gates Founder of Microsoft who has an estimated personal wealth of over $62.5 Billion excluding his Microsoft holdings. Today through his Foundation donated $45 million to fund studies into strategies to control TB in areas with high HIV infection rates....

ABCNEWS.com Full Article

July 14, 2004 � BANGKOK (Reuters) - Research into the dual tuberculosis and AIDS epidemic got a boost Thursday with a $45 million grant from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.

The philanthropic organization set up by Microsoft chairman Bill Gates said the money will fund studies into strategies to control TB in areas with high HIV infection rates.

TB, an infectious airborne respiratory illness, is the leading cause of death among HIV-positive people. HIV weakens the immune system which makes it more vulnerable to TB.

"We cannot successfully fight HIV/AIDS without also fighting TB, which has emerged as the leading killer of HIV-positive people," Dr Helene Gayle, a director at the foundation, said in a statement released at the 15th International AIDS conference. The research will be conducted by the Consortium to Respond Effectively to the AIDS-TB Epidemic (CREATE), which is led by scientists at the Johns Hopkins Center for Tuberculosis Research.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Bill Gates has done more good for the world than many may think. He has created the systems and software we all use even now. and though he has massive wealth he is not a selfish person.. Bill Gates no matter what you think is the personification of the ultimate American dream of freedom and success.

Everyone has an opinion of Bill Gates and Microsoft... But set that aside for just one moment and think of giving away $45,000,000

Any way you look at it that is a HUGE amount of money, yet it is nothing compared to this man's impressive personal wealth.

What would you do if you had $62.5 Billion?

Related Link:

Bill Gates Personal Wealth Clock

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by UM_Gazz

Bill Gates Founder of Microsoft who has an estimated personal wealth of over $62.5 Billion excluding his Microsoft holdings.

Doesn't his net worth include his MS holdings? I think that is why he was once worth $80 billion, but MS stock has lost some of it's value.

Bill Gates's net worth now stands at about $50 billion, thanks to the recent run-up in Microsoft's stock to an all-time high. His net worth includes his MS holdings. news.com.com...

Anyway, BG is a great philanthropist. Him and his wife have donated well over a billion dollars to a lot of good causes.

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Gates and his wife, Melinda Gates, have donated over 24 billion dollars to global health and learning. They hope that someday 21st-century. To date Bill and Melinda have donated over 3.2 billion dollars to organizations concerning global health around the world. They have also donated two billion dollars to improve learning opportunities. This total includes the Gates Library Foundation Initiative to bring computers and internet access and training to public libraries in low-income communities throughout the U.S. and Canada. They have donated more than 477 million dollars to community projects on the Pacific Northwest coast. Bill and Melinda have also donated 488 million dollars to special projects and annual giving campaigns.

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 11:08 PM
link   
I'm tired of people hating Bill Gates. He's donated billions to help people, why hate him just because he has bilions and bilions of dollars?

If you hate him so much go make the next greatest OS and try and beat him out.

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by JediMaster
I'm tired of people hating Bill Gates. He's donated billions to help people, why hate him just because he has bilions and bilions of dollars?

Ummm, what are you talking about? No one on this thread said they hate him, in fact quite the opposite.

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Oh I know, I'm just pointing it out. He's done alot fo society and many just plain hate him.

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 11:55 PM
link   
If I had that much I'd buy a Pony! (with a pretty pink ribbon)

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Big ups to Billy gates, I always knew he donated money to aids research never realised so much though! btw I still love windows xp mwahahahahahaha
/dodges the uber nerds

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by JediMaster

Bill Gates has done a lot of good, I can't deny that. I just don't care so much for Microsoft products. I'm a huge fan of Linux, and use it religiously whenever I can get hardware *usually a modem* that is supported by it, because most machines I've had come with Connexant modems, and the chipsets are designed to talk only to Windows OS.

I am glad to see someone, especially someone who happens to be insanely rich and in charge of probably the most powerful software company ever, donate a sum like this to a worthwhile cause. If I could do the same, I assure you, I would.

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 12:49 AM
link   
ya, even tho im not all too happey with m$ trying to keep other os's down, bill is a nice person and aculy givers enf $$ that it realy helps... but its not like he needs that much anyway

top topics

join