It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Bush Administration: No Postponment of Elections

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 01:09 AM
link   
National security advisor Condoleezza Rice has gone on the record saying that the Bush Administration is not looking into postponing the upcoming Presidential election in the event of a terrorist attack intended to interrupt the Democratic process of the United States Presidential election. This comes after the movement of the US Election Assistance Committee (EAC) head Deforest Soaries to congress to provide processes that would grant the EAC the capability to temporarily postpone the elections until a later date.

www.guardian.co.uk
Federal officials warned last week that intelligence indicates al-Qaida wants to attack the United States to disrupt the upcoming elections.

"There does not appear to be a clear process in place to suspend or reschedule voting during an election if there is a major terrorist attack,'' DeForest B. Soaries, chairman of the U.S. Election Assistance Commission, wrote in a letter to Republican and Democratic leaders in the House and Senate. The Associated Press obtained a copy of the one-page letter.

Rice said the Bush administration, while concerned about the impact of terrorism, is not thinking of postponing the elections.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is one stance this administration has taken that I strongly support. It is absolutely critical that elections are held on time and on schedule, and granting the power to delay them to the EAC would be more of a threat to our democracy than terrorism itself.

This assertion by the Bush administration may come as a shock to some of the conspiracy theorists on this board who saw this move by Soaries as something that would be used by the Bush administration for sinister purposes. But then again, perhaps the denial by the administration is just a smokescreen to keep us guessing...

Related News Links:
www.atsnn.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
November Elections To Be Postponed?
Bush Administration Looking to Make Law Stopping Elections.

[edit on 13-7-2004 by Banshee]

[edit on 7-17-2004 by Valhall]

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 06:46 AM
link   
I guess for Bush terrorists attacks wouldn't effect elections as long as they happened in states where a majority of people voted democratic.

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 07:04 AM
link   
I saw one of Rice's interviews that literally blew me away.

Rice was asked "but surely you have a contingency plan for interrupted elections" to which the NATIONAL SECURITY ADVISOR responded "that would be news to me."

I don't think there's anything wrong with planning. Considering how much they like to talk about the post Spain environment in order to scare urban liberals from the polls I'd think a plan would be a good thing. Like the ability to close polls in ONE CITY but count all other votes and just let that city vote another day. Why not? We went two months without a President elect in 2000?

I just don't like the concept that anything could be challenged. Say Kerry wins expect NYC was bombed mid election day. Then do we vote all over? Or just NYC? What if same thing happens but Bush wins?

I want the procedure SPELLED out before we count one vote. Not made up by Bush/Cheney after they see how things are going.

I'll be part of the riot you see on TV if that happens. So earn your damn money Condi. WRITE IT DOWN. Make a plan.

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Well, if they did come up with a plan, and anyone found out, you would have the same crap as has been in several threads about how this is the way that Bush will "steal" the elelction.

This is a true case of "Damned if you do, Damned if you don't."

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 07:41 AM
link   
I believe the way the voting is set up, that it would take a constitutional amendment to change it, putting that thought aside.I wonder why terrorist would attack on election day. If the premise would be that Bush would still stay in office, doesn't that negate what the conservative say that the terrorist want dem in because they'd be soft on terrorism?

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ambient Sound
Well, if they did come up with a plan, and anyone found out...

I would hope they'd publish it beforehand. Make it news, to avoid the controversy afterwards. This protects them as much as anyone.

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Yet more controlled media propaganda to perpetuate the myth of a bicameral legislative body defending individual Rights and representing a freemen's best interests. In point of fact, while giving the appearence of offering competing ideas for a better, FREER America, both parties are working in cahoots with foreign conspirators to shepherd in an all powerful, borderless, despotic one world government run by a small handful of APPOINTED slave plantation overlords.

Not to put to fine a point on it, all of "our" so called, presidents, representitives, senators, judges, attorneys, dept. bureuacrats, etc., with the possible exception of a few, are foreign agents engaged in wanton acts of treason, a capital offense, and should be rounded up, tried, convicted, and executed as such

[edit on 15-7-2004 by neomoniker]

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 10:34 AM
link   
watch out. With all their stupidity and chaos they are going to start a massive civil war in this country and they could come out on the losing end. If they think otherwise they could try consulting with the former King of France.

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 12:56 PM
link   
does anyone remember condi's testimony before the 9/11 commission, just wondering. me, i take what she says with a hunk of salt, well unless you are a certain someone who did not fly on 9/11....

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I can't see Bush and Co relying on their track records to get them reelected. Bank on impropriety and the associated terrorism...Mark my words... The hour is upon the opportunists to act... They won't get us in this position again

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 12:16 AM
link   
It would behoove the Bush administration to stick with the original date. If we were attacked people would flood the booths to vote for Bush because they know he has the balls to invade another country and they'll probably be just pissed (or be accused of being unamerican) enough to allow that. We might as well go after Saudia Arabia, that's were all of the 9/11 came from anyways, then maybe Bush would have some truth to stand on instead of the whole WMD debacle.

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 04:54 AM
link   
Dangerous thinking my friend.

If the USSR, and China, and ALL of Europe, and every Muslim country in the world, all get pissed off with America, what are you going to do then my friend ?

It will be like the really tough guy with the six gun facing 200 angry guys with baseball bats. Six are going to die, but the other 194 will get him for sure.

Superpower maybe. When was the last time USA actually won a war ?

World war two, over fifty years ago.

You have lost every war you have started since then. You will get your sorry asses kicked out of Iraq as well eventually. When will you learn.

You want oil. Why not PAY for it ?

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Warpspeed
Dangerous thinking my friend.

If the USSR, and China, and ALL of Europe, and every Muslim country in the world, all get pissed off with America, what are you going to do then my friend ?

It will be like the really tough guy with the six gun facing 200 angry guys with baseball bats. Six are going to die, but the other 194 will get him for sure.

Superpower maybe. When was the last time USA actually won a war ?

World war two, over fifty years ago.

You have lost every war you have started since then. You will get your sorry asses kicked out of Iraq as well eventually. When will you learn.

You want oil. Why not PAY for it ?

I was only kidding above when I said we should invade another country. I think invading Iraq was a terrible idea.

top topics

join