It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bill Cosby takes on the Black Community

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 01:40 PM
link   
www.cnn.com...

I have to applaud him, everything that he is saying has been painfully obvious for a while now.

I doubt that this will make much difference, however.

[edit on 2-7-2004 by HowardRoark]

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Yeah, I read that earlier today. He wasn't so much taking on the black community as he is challenging them to take advantage of the opportunities that those that fought for equal right gave to them. He has a doctorate in education and takes it very seriously. I hope more people listen to him, he's right. Education is damn important.

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Ya, nice to see someone stand up and tell it like it is. It's a shame that the race pimps and class warfare whores will seek to attack what he's saying.

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 01:55 PM
link   
His message can be applied to whites as well. His message is simple, quit blaiming others for your own shortcomings. I totally agree with him. Nobody is forced to drop out of school and abuse thier spouses and children, black or white!

Preach on Bill!!!

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Hell, Bill "Fat Albert" Cosby should be in the election...I'd vote for him!

Also, he is a very educated man and his messages are applicable across the board.

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by muckminer
Hell, Bill "Fat Albert" Cosby should be in the election...I'd vote for him!

Also, he is a very educated man and his messages are applicable across the board.

A smart, articulate man. These don't seem like atributes of candidates lately.
But you know what, I think he would make a helluva a president.

Edited for wrong icon.

[edit on 2-7-2004 by intrepid]

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Cosby is absolutly correct on this. Black youth is going nowwhere, they don't care aobut education they don;t care about their future. Its only about calling each other 'n-word's because thats "pimpin". And think that its cool to be an idiot who can't speak English properly. Only idiots use eboncis as a form of speech.

They need to wise up and make sure waht Martin Luther King jr and otehrs sacrificed did not go to waste.

Also people who call him racist, its just plain ludicris. I met him in May, and he shook my hand and I saw no racism in his eyes and manner. He is a very smart, friendly guy and I'd vote for him fast as hell.

[edit on 7-2-2004 by JediMaster]

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I might vote for Colin Powell, but Cosby? Well, what are his stances on other issues? But anyways, good for Cosby. And him racist? Sure, and MLK Jr was racist against whites cause he wanted them to be equal with blacks. Bull#.

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Well, the new administration (whom ever it tis), should approach Cosby for his suggestions on educational reform and see if any feasible plans can come out of it...Cosby is one celebrity I will listen to regarding such serious mass-affecting matters.

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Yep bade gramar is worser dan bade spelin.

On a completley unrelated topic I was reading a book the other day and the Whites say "I do not care to continue this conversation anymore" but the Blacks were like " I aint be rappin' with y'all nomore. Ya ere?" ridiculus

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I love it! It's also much of what Chris Rock has been saying, except of course in a different tone of delivery. Unfortunately when Bill O'Reilly says it, he's racist and prudish. Too bad they won't be able to get together on this.

But I have a friend who's white with white nephews in their early 20s who are useless and walk around pimpin' like they think they're 50Cent or something. And they're just goofy ignorant unemployed white trash! *L*
They call their girlfriends bit***s and all they think about is getting the newest rap cd, getting high and committing petty crime. Oh, and ganging up with "da boyz" to beat the hell out of someone. It's not just urban black youth or ghetto kids. These are white kids from a regular almost hillbilly type area. Decent enough neighborhood. Just useless. One night I was raggin on 'em and one of 'em said something about The Man. I said "Hey, stupid, YOU'RE supposed to be The Man!". Cracked me up!

This is what will run the country when I'm old.

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 03:15 PM
link   
OMFG. We had them at school, they called themselves the Bayshore Bloods. They were white, pants around their ankles, throwing gang signs, wearing "bling bling" of fake plastic jewlery(which of course I made fun of) and acted like they were black poor "gangstas". But they were white redneck hicks that if left alone in Detroit for a day would be crying for mommy and pissing themselves. They broke up after getting the sh*t beaten out of them by one guy, how sad is that? Lord of the Dance. 8vs1, they lost, they figured it wasn't a good idea to stay together after being beaten by a guy named J.C.. What a bunch of jackoffs though. And Tiger Woods isn't the best, he was the best for a certain amount of time, but over the past 100 years of golf is he really the best?

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Bill Cosby has made some excellent points. However, the entire youth of dark complexioned individuals should not be condemmed. There are some bright spots out there. The children are a representation of the family structure they have come out of 85-90% of the time. But this is not just a "black thing". The youth in general need help. Jay Leno or one of these talk shows went around the country and asked who was the President of the United States. They interviewed mostly white and they couldn't answer. Sad. Are schools need alot more input from the government as well. Instead of billions spent on war machinery, we need to invest in our future or our country will look bleak.

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Too funny!! I often thought I'd like to airlift them to Compton or South Central, which they often refer to because they hear about it from interviews with Dre and Snoop and such. Just drop 'em in the middle of a seriously nasty 'hood and watch what happens when they're faced with the real deal. They don't seem to realize they can't support the MTV/BET rapper lifestyle because they aren't rappers! They have no cd coming out. They have no royalties rolling in. They're not literate enough to even fill out a job application much less write a song or rap. And one of them actually graduated from highschool!!

It's this fad that's happening now. We've got a lot of the little chumps here in town that race around like they're the stars of "The Fast and the Furious". They try to look dangerous. Hanging out with their hos in front of Food Lion, yeah.... cool... bass thumpin... flickin a butt out into the parking lot and firin' up another one... earrings, chains, huge watches all glinting in the sunlight. Greeting their boyz with a series of ultra cool hand gestures that regular jagoffs like me will never understand cuz I'm not cool. Pants so low on their butts that the temptation to run over and yank 'em all the way down is KILLIN ME sometimes. Making fun of the kids who come out after their shift to go home in their uniform shirts.

Because they don't have to work. Their mommy and daddy give them all they need as long as they stay in school.

But the problem is... one race can't talk about another. So it's up to Bill Cosby and those other guys to talk to the black community and up to Bill O'Reilly or someone else white to talk to the white community. Otherwise it's labled "stone throwing" and the issue gets lost in the name calling.

As far as Bill Cosby... it's nice to see a different kind of black leader. He might be better than Jesse and Al as far as integrity goes.

posted on Sep, 22 2004 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Cosby's misinformation on the black community cause a natioin contriversy.His comments showed leadership,unity, detication, and hope for the black communtity. The bold and powerful bill cosby spoke reality and not illusions, which caused a major downfall and struggle for black people. Speaking the truth caused shame and truth cannot be accepted by blacks. The reality cosby put us in caused us to neglect the turth and deny his comments.

Most of cosbys speech explain parental roles for childern" These people are not parenting they are buying things for kids-- $500 sneaker for what?".The black community has been fearful of going public with the problems within their community for the fear of stereotype. unfortunately years of neglect of parents caused generations of poor urban children. the reality is trying to undo the it is damage of parental neglect childern recieve. Cosby's main approach on the black community is to reach and aware parents of the problems they face and wish to neglect.

Society leadership for black's jeopardizes there future in succeeding in our world. Black peoplehas become ignorant and selfish in their own communities. "leaders" such as these rap artists ain't doing a damn thing to help out their people. I believe black people have forgotten how to be a people. now, they just focus on being black. But this black isn't what africa is all about . the "oh im ghetto and i like it nigga" makes no damn sense to me. rappers have made it so that being ghetto and being thug is a good and positive thing when it is not. black kids all over north america are try to act black because they are black. but the thing is, being black has nothing to do with being ghetto. but the music industry has brainwashed people into thinking that if ur ghetto, u either are black or ur acting black. I believe black people in general need to have leaders such as bill cosby who speak the truth. Don't bring a wise man down just because he is sayin the truth, bring the Articles and news reports down for using cosby's words against us.
Cosby was speaking against ignorance,lack of discipline, the lack of goals and hip-hoppish thuggery. the articles we read feed the reader mind with characteristic of the "black community." Africans should be more angry of racist news paper comments characterization than anything Bill Cosby said. I say this because many people are disagree with bill cosbys due to the fact they read a good agrument disapproving his commments. but to really understand were he is coming from one needs to listen or read the full speech to gain your own opinion. the persusive article allowed me to realize the only negative comments and opinons of the writer. the misintropited comments has changed into a negative approach on poor black people. cosby's words has bein misued by the writer to convey a strong powerful opinion of his own. CNN comments "Bill Cosby went off on another tirade against the black community Thursday," . The comment expressed with racism and a compelety opposite meaning of Cosby's appraoch. It is this comments which Black people should be upset from, not the truth Bill Cosby said.
All postive black leader have one goal in common. That is to help their people. but today, the black community has no leaders. besides bill cosby, I dont see any other black leader doing anything to help his or her people. Without leaders, the igorant and selfish crowds will follow the chacterisitics if their leader which i believe will bring them in a bigger hole of shame. If something or someone does not do something soon, the black community will find themselves in a major crisis of survival. the black community needs leadership, unity, perservence, and hope. the hope i believe in the black communities was lost long ago, but the strength of the soul and mind can cause you to make a difference. One man has taken the odds of a negative words to change peoples lifestyles. No effect has bein made but that strength of leadership caused him to speak the truth which was denied for many years. It will take more than time for the black community to understand his comments, just like how long it for someone to speak out on the lack discipline. Bill Cosby is a very brave man, The black community should be thankful for his leadership.

Abdulkadir elmi

top topics

join