It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dogmatic Thinking

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2004 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I've been reading this board for I dont know how long, and a memeber for quite a while now, and you know, sometimes it seems there is as much domga here as in a church. in every subject, 90% of al posts are dogmatic. But intelligent discussion requires that both sides approach a subject objectively, entertaining all opinions and information on a subject, whatever conclusions they may have. Why do I bring this up? Because I am interested in fostering thought and discussion that truly is "out of the box," and I would like ideas on how to foster this, not just here, but anywhere. The most important tool to denying ignorance is getting past it....so how?

[Edited on 25-5-2004 by saturnine_sweet]

posted on May, 25 2004 @ 06:19 PM
link   
That's really going to be a tall order. With the number of members, very divergent views and the number of new members, probably the only way is for you to be very involved with frequent posts reminding people to stay on point. Good Luck!

posted on May, 25 2004 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I think you missed my point. I like everyones divergent views...I just feel this board is a little....stagnant. Most member's views are like religious beliefs; clung to blindly no matter what is said. And that's the short road to ignorance. I'm also active on many other forums on various topics, and while there are those who hold to their opinions in the same manner, its more like the 10% than the 90%. While your encouragement is appreciate, though perhaps a litle tongue in cheek, I guess I was looking for something....broader. Ah, well....

posted on May, 25 2004 @ 06:38 PM
link   
The key to healthy and productive discussion is picking your audience well.

If learning from others' views and information is a goal, then you need to associate more with people who know more than you, and offer what you know and your appreciation in exchange.

If trying to alter the opinions of preprogrammed automatons is your goal, then discussion forums don't really accommodate it. You have to get into the binary code to do that, and in the US that would involve you owning several of the major TV networks. Good luck with that.

posted on May, 25 2004 @ 09:23 PM
link   
M. A., great reply. I think you might be right. More a matter of sifting through the chaff to find the grain, I mean, brain. Perhaps someday I'll post on here enough for RATS and it might be a little better...until that day, perhaps I'll find another board as well....

[Edited on 26-5-2004 by saturnine_sweet]

top topics

join