It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Remembrance day - The story of Percy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 12:50 AM
link   
I wrote this for a school assignment, thought this was a fitting time to post it.

I thank Zazzafrazz for her help with the creation of this story.

I apologize if parts of this aren't historically accurate.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Percy had been raised in a military family; his British father had fought in the Second Boer War and demanded his family defend their nation. Percy was the ‘disappointment’ of the family, the one who failed to live up to the ridiculously high standards set by his patriotic father who believed that the pride of having his sons fight for their country was more important than their lives, in fact he believed there was no greater honour than to die in battle.

Percy had once had three other brothers, Joseph and Walter became victims of the war and their father’s insatiable desire for them to become the courageous men he envisioned as his sons, and another, Albert, the prodigal son who rose to Lieutenant, only to be captured by the enemy and disappear without a trace. It was this last brother that Percy’s father was most proud of, and who set the standard that Percy was expected to live up to.

Fighting in the war was not something Percy intended to do. He hated the idea of killing others, after all, what right did he have to decide whether others could live or die? Soon the day came when the eighteen year-old’s father ordered an army enlistment form be sent to him. Percy’s mother begged her husband to reconsider, unable to bear losing her last son, and when Percy saw how distressed his mother was; he tried harder and harder to get his father to see reason. He considered running away, but he could not bring himself to leave his mother in this state, or leave and have her suffer while she thought of all the things that could have happened to him after he ran away. At least if he went to war, she would get constant updates on his wellbeing. If he had run away, the chances of his mother getting any messages he sent her were slim, as there was a lot of stress on the postage service due to the war. But nothing Percy could say would make his father change his mind.

Percy was enlisted in the army and told he would have a month before being shipped to Gallipoli.

The ship left in the early morning, Percy’s mother had not come to see him off, as she was too distraught to leave the house. It took months to reach Egypt, and with the training he underwent there, Percy was sure that he’d be able to protect himself if he needed to. Percy was ordered to protect the Suez Canal, so that the merchants and naval ships could pass through with minimal threat from the Turks. Percy endured tiring training exercises every day, which ranged from target practice to gruelling uphill treks.

After a few months, the ANZACs were moved to France, where they met with English troops before being shipped to the landing beach. Percy was given orders to help establish a beach-head, a safe place where the other troops and supplies could be brought ashore.

As Percy and the other diggers ran ashore they were hailed with bullets and shells. Percy took cover as he rushed up the beach, shooting wildly at the enemy, watching as those he shot dropped to the ground. Percy could not bear to look, only shooting with the hopes of protecting his friends. He felt something sharp hit him in the stomach, but thought nothing of it as he ran for cover. Percy reached the base of the cliff, and ran into a very shallow cave, which protected him from the gunmen above. Suddenly there were people crowding around him, making a fuss. Then the world tilted at a funny angle and he fell over. Percy heard somebody yell for a medic, and there were moans of pain and people screaming for help all around him. Then there was nothing.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the 11th of November at 11am, the entire Australian nation stops to remember those who gave their lives for the freedom of the country they love.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/21aa36204fa0.png[/atsimg]

Roswell.

[edit on 11/11/2009 by roswell1]

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Let's remember ALL those who've been sacrificed by our governments!

And I saw that Applebee's is giving free meals to Vets & active duty but I think it's just here in the States....first time I've ever seen a business do this tho!

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 03:03 AM
link   
reply to post by SmokeyDawn

Let's remember ALL those who've been sacrificed by our governments!

Yes. Perhaps it is time for us to return to the old ways. Put the king (or other leader) at the head of the army and let them lead us into war.... Bet that would stop a lot of current wars.

I am from the USA and my ex-husband had a very low draft number so he enlisted as an army officer. His Grandma was head of the democratic party in the state. Do you know a very funny thing happened???

My ex-husband's enlistment papers were "lost" for almost a year. By the time he finished training, his class of officers was the first class NOT sent to Vietnam.... Coincidence? I do not think so.

The older I get and the more I learn, the more I see the lies used to manipulate us into war.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 04:08 AM
link   
Oh Ros, I did nothing, it was ALL you
You are the best school student in the state of Victoria, and a proud Aussie

How touching you shared this story on Rememberance day.

posted on Apr, 24 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Today is ANZAC Day, the day we remember those Australian and New Zealand soldiers who stormed the beaches at Gallipoli, while the Turks fired down at them from the cliffs above. The day we remember all those who fought for our freedom and who lost their lives doing so.

Lest we forget.

Roswell.

top topics

join