It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rare earths are vital, and China owns them all

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Rare earths are vital, and China owns them all

www.marketwatch.com

The U.S. Geological Survey recognizes 17 different rare earths, materials with science-fictionesque names like lanthanum and gadolinium. They are used in everything: glass polishing and ceramics, automotive catalytic converters, computer monitors, lighting, televisions and pharmaceuticals.
"Without these elements, much of the modern economy will just plain shut down," he said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 07:11 PM
link   
A lot of people talk about the U.S. dependence on other nations' oil, but very few know the fact that we depend mainly on China on some other products which are needed for our society to function, those products, or elements are "Rare Earths."

China accounts for 97% of the globe's "Rare Earth" production, and China consumes 60% of it, and each year they consume more.

As the article states, last year the United States mined no "Rare Earth" elements, and I wonder why exactly.

BTW, "Rare Earth" elements are needed not only for "glass polishing and ceramics, automotive catalytic converters, computer monitors, lighting, televisions and pharmaceuticals." These "Rare Earth" elements are also used for so called "green technologies."

We all know by now that the Global Warming claims, are nothing more than a hoax, which is the one thing I disagree about from the claims in the link, but it is still a fact that we depend on "Rare Earth" elements. Without them the whole world will stop on it's tracks, and millions of people will die.

www.marketwatch.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 25-9-2009 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Interesting article, it's not something you think about every day. From a medical standpoint, gadolinium is vitally important as the IV contrast agent used in MRI (as well as magnetic resonance angiography) studies, at least it was when I was working in the radiology field a while back.

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 12:44 AM
link   
very nice post...this also shows that the world must unite not fight, everyone feels treathened by others, who got oil, who got weapons, who got rare earth....but when we come to the citizens ..the people..we all respect each other..its the military and politics who instead of admitting we need our brothers and sisters of this planet they proclaim fear to obtain world domination

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 01:19 AM
link   
You can thank the democrats and there tree hugger friends.

We have the rare earth minerals here in the us but the tree huggers have blocked or made it to expensive to mine them.

The United States used to produce approximately 6% of the world's supply from one of the only in-situ rare earth mines in the world, at Mountain Pass, California. However, Mountain Pass — the only producing mine in North America — ceased operations several years ago, creating a situation where there is no REE production taking place in North America, or anywhere significant outside of China.
This mine was shut down because the tree huggers blocked any expansion of the mine and placed it in the middle of a wilderness area.
technology.infomine.com...
geology.csupomona.edu...

There is another rare earth area in southeastern Alaska but because of the tree huggers it may take many years before mining starts if ever.
www.miningtopnews.com...
: flame:

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Well up until now, that's been good policy. Better have China pollute the living crap out of their land, than California, while the prices have stayed relatively low. When it gets really expensive, they'll mine again in the US.

But I'm all for environmental standards. Corporate and consumer price costs be damned. As Robert Kennedy Jr. put it, most of the fresh water fish in the U.S. is no longer safe to eat in large amounts, due to the relaxing of mercury pollution laws. The article made the point that most rare earth mining is extremely toxic.

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 11:12 PM
link   
I think its all about reserves, relate it to oil. We have massive reserves in and around north america, why use up all you're own when you can use up everybody else's.

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Retikx

That's a smart plan.

Maybe it is one, and they govt. doesn't want the world to get out?

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I went to post this article and found it had already been posted, I'm glad you did. This is an extremely important story. I'm disappointed that this thread hasn't gotten any more attention than it has.

It's interesting that the "global warming" scare tactics ushered in an emphasis on "green" technology under the guise that green rather than oil is more environmentally friendly. Even though the production of these toxic materials is very dangerous to the environment.

Also, it seems the U.S. is changing drug dealers... from Saudi to China... except that the new drug dealer has a monopoly on production of the drug and certainly will soley control the price of the drug by forcing user industries to move production to China (away from the U.S.) due to their export laws.

It's also interesting to note that OUR (the U.S.) defense industry is so dependent on Chinese production of these materials.

Communism rocks, doesn't it!!??!!

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Schaden
Well up until now, that's been good policy. Better have China pollute the living crap out of their land, than California, while the prices have stayed relatively low. When it gets really expensive, they'll mine again in the US.

It's not that simple.

The problem with your plan is that China controls the price of these materials. All they have to do is lower the price just enough to make mining anywhere else unaffordable.

Additionally, they have established export laws that make it untenable for manufacturers who use these materials to be located anywhere but China. So what they've got is a product that not only sells itself but is a way to bring industry into their country (away from other countries) to employ their people.

Do you really think that any U.S. mining company will mine this stuff if it's not economically viable? No, they will not and the reason will be because China will be setting the price.

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Just posted an article today about how the Toyota Prius is the biggest user of rare earth metals on the Earth. Gotta love those 'Earth friendly' vehicles! There are plans to reopen a California mine around 2012, and also a couple new sites in Canada and Australia. Wonder if this new mining is going to increase their 'manmade global warming'? Wonder if they even care, as long as they get their 'Earth friendly' vehicles to cruise around in?

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   
it is sad that such an important issue's discussion has to be laced with the vitriol you all have for the movement of our species towards 'sustainability'. a concept i question your command of.

i find it fascinating that the modern world is dependent on resources known as 'rare earth'. it amuses me to see the issue of our disregard for our planets finitude highlighted in such a manner. highlighted and ignored.

who mines them? who cares? how long will the last?

well it really does not matter as long as you get to take a shot at the other team, right?

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Interesting post. I didnt know this. Starred.

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I didn't know how much of a leverage China had over us. This is new to me. Thanks for pointing this out. Starred.

[edit on 27-9-2009 by Frankidealist35]

[edit on 27-9-2009 by Frankidealist35]

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

Maybe no one noticed, but China has been stocking up all over the world.

"Aided by Financial Crisis, China Gaining Key Assets"
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Guess where they got all the money to do it with!

jw

top topics

join