It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israeli scientists discover "center of consciousness" in brain

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Israeli scientists discover "center of consciousness" in brain

news.xinhuanet.com

"A small group of neurons near the base of the brain ... has executive control over the alert status of the entire cerebrum and spinal cord, and can generate loss of pain sensation, postural collapse and loss of consciousness through specific neural circuitry," said the statement.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 10:30 AM
link   
This is big news! As the source states, if this works on human brains then we can use this to wake people up from a coma! And the center of consciousness must be like the holy grail for the humanity!

Wonder what the corp. Health people will do to get this knowledge?!

As i se it, this can help us to understand how and why the brain is conscious, right? Then, it can lead to knowledge about turning brains off!

Maybe this is the first step to a new world without weapons, for good or bad, i might add.
Thank you for the time!

news.xinhuanet.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Breaking : "Israeli scientists discover "center of consciousness" in brain" and is now Israeli defense forces prepare to bomb it to hell for ever thinking about the holocaust. News at 11

Loss of consciousness and postural collapse? Lol. One scientific discovery made by Mossad? "Whenever I hit someone just here they go all limp. I wonder why?".

This topic's about a brain-related science discovery. How have you two nut cases managed to crowbar in references to Mossad and the Holocaust?

Oh, I think we know.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   
link doesn't work anymore
use this
news.xinhuanet.com...

thanks

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by chips

To be honest i dont have a clue about what their point was...
Ok, so, now i know this is like a joke to them?!

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Perhaps we are different after all:

Cell numbers: men have 4% more brain cells than women, and about 100 grams more of brain tissue. Many women have asked me why men need more brain tissue in order to get the same things done.

Cellular connections: even though a man seems to have more brain cells, it is reported that women have more dendritic connections between brain cells.

Corpus collosum size: it is reported that a woman's brain has a larger corpus collusum, which means women can transfer data between the right and left hemisphere faster than men. Men tend to be more left brained, while women have greater access to both sides.

Language: for men, language is most often just in the dominant hemisphere (usually the left side), but a larger number of women seem to be able to use both sides for language. This gives them a distinct advantage. If a woman has a stroke in the left front side of the brain, she may still retain some language from the right front side. Men who have the same left sided damage are less likely to recover as fully.

Limbic size: bonding/nesting instincts - current research has demonstrated that females, on average, have a larger deep limbic system than males. This gives females several advantages and disadvantages. Due to the larger deep limbic brain women are more in touch with their feelings, they are generally better able to express their feelings than men. They have an increased ability to bond and be connected to others (which is why women are the primary caretakers for children - there is no society on earth where men are primary caretakers for children). Females have a more acute sense of smell, which is likely to have developed from an evolutionary need for the mother to recognize her young. Having a larger deep limbic system leaves a female somewhat more susceptible to depression, especially at times of significant hormonal changes such as the onset of puberty, before menses, after the birth of a child and at menopause. Women attempt suicide three times more than men. Yet, men kill themselves three times more than women, in part, because they use more violent means of killing themselves (women tend to use overdoses with pills while men tend to either shoot or hang themselves) and men are generally less connected to others than are women. Disconnection from others increases the risk of completed suicides.
Source: www.doctorhugo.org...

This might answer the question of connections!!!

Namaste

ZM

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   
very interesting!

i was wondering if anyone knows anything about this comas? the article says: "Perhaps by direct electrical stimulation of the cells in question, it might prove possible to arouse a patient from coma," said the statement

is this possible? do they even know what exactly causes a coma? couldn't someone in a coma be conscious but their brain doesn't function properly to, in a way, keep their consciousness locked in their brain?

i think this is all very fascinating. i'm disappointed they only have one small article. i must search for more now.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   
I dont see anything that says to me that this is the 'center of consciousness'. Sounds to me like they found a nest of nerves that is reactive to stimuli.

The pineal gland is the center of consciousness, in my opinion.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   
The center of consciousness in the brain is probably where we are hooked up to the Matrix...

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by x2Strongx
The center of consciousness in the brain is probably where we are hooked up to the Matrix...

For the record, in that movie, the length of the needle and the placement of the 'port' would lead directly to the pineal gland.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots
I dont see anything that says to me that this is the 'center of consciousness'. Sounds to me like they found a nest of nerves that is reactive to stimuli.

Why do you think the pineal gland? In any case it's good news,Israeli scientists have been discovering alot of things lately.I think we should wait longer(more evidence) before coming to a conclusion though.

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zandermander
(which is why women are the primary caretakers for children - there is no society on earth where men are primary caretakers for children).

Obviously you haven't seen the 35 and under parental demographic in the United States lately.

Apparently, younger American females must have smaller limbic centers than males anymore...as they tend to abandon their children to the father more frequently than previous generations. Reasons why younger women tend to give up custody are attributed to a desire to be unattached, inadequate financial resources, child's preference for living with the father, difficulty in controlling the children, threats of legal custody battles, and physical or emotional problems experienced by the mother.

Father-only families are growing 25% every three years in the United States. There are an estimated 4 million Father-only families in the United States currently.

At an initial 10% male primary caregivers in 1995 it won't take long at a 25% growth rate every 3 years since 1995 before the number of males exceeds female primary caregivers in the United States.

As far as the OP:

So this study has not been done on humans, just on rats thus far. We now know where "consciousness" in rats derives from...although the article seems to be assuming that "consciousness" is the same as cognizance. As rats are not cognizant, this may not correlate to humans.

And by "base of the brain" are they referring to the Cerebellum which controls the autonomic functions of the body? This would make sense for rudimentary "consciousness" found in animals as this would be the seat of the Kinesthetic mind.

[edit on 24-9-2009 by fraterormus]

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

Lots of information points towards the pineal gland having something to do with consciousness... and other interesting things.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by fraterormus

Over here in the UK vast swathes of young woman do not in anyway fit the description that zandermander says they should either.They are more violent than men,emotionally bankrupt when it comes to care,compassion,sympathy etc and as you described in the US very poor mothers.Children are more of a means to an end financially.Course that's not a one size fits all in the slightest,just like the evidence presented by zandermander.But it is something i have noticed getting progressively worse over the past 10 years or so.Though it was no doubt starting before that.Sorry for off topic.
excellent post and14236,will read through but on one note(just from skimming) i have never seen hard evidence that '___' is produced from the pineal gland.

[edit on 24-9-2009 by Solomons]

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by fraterormus

So true..I was not aware of the statistics that you presented. Thank you.

Was quoting from a source that was based on a biology study and not a cultural one.
Perhaps next on the neural scope is such a cojoined venture.

Would truly love to read more in regards to the original; albeit vague article.

Namaste

ZM

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solomons

Originally posted by captaintyinknots

Why do you think the pineal gland? In any case it's good news,Israeli scientists have been discovering alot of things lately.I think we should wait longer(more evidence) before coming to a conclusion though.

The pineal gland is the exact center of the brain. It is full of retinal tissue. It is literally "the mind's eye".

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I find the article very interesting, and also the fact that this was discovered by Israeli's.

It makes me wonder if they will ever try to bring Ariel Sharon out of his coma!

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Experience snipers have known this for decades.

If you need an immediate disconnect, you hit at the base of the skull in the rear.

Immediate disconnect.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join