It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No privacy on Facebook

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Hi, didn't know where to put this...

This is less of a cospiracy and more just a little bit of info which many of you may already know.

I met someone today who regularly needs to find out information on people. He does it by paying money to Facebook to allow him to see private profiles.
I'm no fan of FB but was fairly shocked, although I should have known better of course...

We may provide information to service providers to help us bring you the services we offer. Specifically, we may use third parties to facilitate our business, such as to host the service at a co-location facility for servers, to send out email updates about Facebook, to remove repetitive information from our user lists, to process payments for products or services, to offer an online job application process, or to provide search results or links (including sponsored links). In connection with these offerings and business operations, our service providers may have access to your personal information for use for a limited time in connection with these business activities. Where we utilise third parties for the processing of any personal information, we implement reasonable contractual and technical protections limiting the use of that information to the Facebook-specified purposes.

Privacy policy

So they pretty much just sell your private info. I guess it's your own fault for being on there but I thought it deserved a mention.

[edit on 7-8-2009 by and14263]

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by and14263

Star and flagged

I am on Facebook but I mainly only use it for communicating with long lost friends ( from High School or the military) and I have since removed the ability to post on my wall....I only allow others to search for me and send me private messages...

It was getting too darn creepy...everybody knowing what, when, and where about EVERYBODY...even just friends of friends...

It evens asks you if you know certain people based on what yuo've typed or who you know

I don't doubt that TPTB have us all " hooked" on social networking (MySPace, Facebook, Twitter) to take some of the legwork out of constant surveillance.....

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   
I'm on facebook too.

You don't need to post there anything that you don't want others to know about you. You are even free not to post anything at all in your profile, or put fake data there.

I think facebook can be a useful networking tool for both privat and business use.
Its a great tool for promoting your business, to reach lots of potential customers or meet business partners - if done PROPERLY!

Just keep sensitive data out that you don't want anybody to know, and you'll be fine, imo.

Ko3

[edit on 7-8-2009 by kid_of_3NKi]

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by kid_of_3NKi
I'm on facebook too.

You don't need to post there anything that you don't want others to know about you. You are even free not to post anything at all in your profile, or put fake data there.

I think facebook can be a useful networking tool for both privat and business use.
Its a great tool for promoting your business, to reach lots of potential customers or meet business partners - if done PROPERLY!

Just keep sensitive data out that you don't want anybody to know, and you'll be fine, imo.

Ko3

[edit on 7-8-2009 by kid_of_3NKi]

Yeah man. I see your view but what I'm saying is that Facebook give you the impression that you can have a 'private' profile... so people put info on they only want shared with friends and family... yet FB will sell this information to people the user would define as not allowed to see the private profile.

If you want a serious business networking place I recommend LinkedIn, there's no pokes, parties or poker but it's effective and professional.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   
here's a short vid on facebooks privacy policy.

(click to open player in new window)

[edit on 8/7/2009 by Alaskan Man]

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by and14263
I see your view but what I'm saying is that Facebook give you the impression that you can have a 'private' profile...

Absolutely NO SUCH THING as a 'private' profile anywhere on the internet. If the company is not just blatantly ripping you off and invading your 'privacy' by selling your info to third parties, there are hundreds of thousand of kids that have nothing better to do than find ways in to your accounts.

Facebook a CIA Front?

[edit on 7-8-2009 by KSPigpen]

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by and14263

Yeah, you're right, that false impression sucks and many people aren't aware of it.

Thx for the tip about LinkedIn, i'll check it out

Ko3

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by KSPigpen

Originally posted by and14263
I see your view but what I'm saying is that Facebook give you the impression that you can have a 'private' profile...

Absolutely NO SUCH THING as a 'private' profile anywhere on the internet. If the company is not just blatantly ripping you off and invading your 'privacy' by selling your info to third parties, there are hundreds of thousand of kids that have nothing better to do than find ways in to your accounts.

Facebook a CIA Front?

[edit on 7-8-2009 by KSPigpen]

I guess that is my internet naivety... It's always been in the back of my mind I guess. In fact this thread is probably better on an internet n00b site, I imagine most people on here are wise enough to not fall for this stuff.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Alaskan Man

Thanks for that video man. It's struggling to buffer at the moment but that could be because I have about 50 tabs open and am downloading and uploading from all angles... I'll definitely watch it tonight though.

top topics

join