It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

strange compass readings

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   
At times I really don't know which thread to post in, this site is so huge ;-)

Seems a few people on other forums are noticing strange compass readings and a perception that the sun is setting where it shouldn't, eg further toward north.

Along with strange (huge) growths of plants and young birds it all seems an 'unusual year', it's not that much hotter, cooler or wetter so what has changed?

If anyone who is versed in the science of the sunset and has the equipment could please confirm, is our sun still setting where it is expected to?

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I think the best place for your thread would be Fragile Earth
I will move it for you

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by songthrush

thrush,

I wouldn't get too concerned just yet.

IF magnetic North has moved appreciably it would be noticed immediately!!

Every pilot and ship's Captain would be talking about it. It would be causing chaos in Global navigation.

Many species of animals are thought to use the Earth's magnetic fields, as well, for migration patterns and such.

I will be willing to bet that those who think they are seeing the Sun setting in some odd fashion are just not understanding the seasonal changes that happen regularly, every year, on Earth. The amount of change depends, of course, on latitude.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Thanks, yes, I thought that too, having dabbled with a little telescope for years I learned of the annual trace in the sky the sun makes each noon, etc

I just assumed everyone knew that, and hence that the worries are worth checking out, by a competent amateur/pro astronomer - just to settle their minds.

People are very jumpy right now, it doesn't feel good.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Interesting you mentioned that about the sun, because yesterday I caught the sun setting and I got this strange impression that it was setting further north than it should.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by songthrush

I have noticed the excact same thing, I have this huge tower up in the woods here, and I have had the feel that the sun light firstly comes into the vally in a unusal way and the sky litt up slightly on the wrong side of the tower.

Only thing I need confirmed now is people think the sky is abit to redish for taste and the north pole are moving west from my location..

Many years ago the north from my apartment was almost dead-on that tower, when I checked a few weeks ago with my sons cheap compas, it wasnt where I rembered it to be. I may ofcorse be wrong, but this just backs up my own small / wierd observations..

Edit: seems there are afew people talking about this on other forums.

on: July 01, 2009, 01:45:15 AM »
Hmm.

I've been growing vegetables the last couple of years here in the city & so naturally I've been paying close attention to which parts of the building get the most sun & which parts get the most shade, etc. ...

So I was a little weirded out THIS year to notice that the sun has been setting farther & farther NORTH as we enter into summer -- the north side of my building has been getting full sun, while the south side of my building has been getting more & more shade -- & this is NOT the pattern that I experienced last year in this same building.

I was so disturbed by this that I got a compass & found out that, instead of pointing north, the needle of the compass is now pointing east!

you have to remember the earth will complete a full wobble so yes the electromagnetic field is shifting but it is shifting very slowly like the continents drifting very slow. if there is allot of chem trails in your area the metal oxide could be causing static electricity. remember also if you live near power lines or if new power lines are near it creates a magnetic field hope that helps

I also notice this, even mentioned it to my husband, I told him that the sun didn't look right in the sky, even the moon didn't look right the other night!!

I always notice this, because my father brought me up to be able to tell the time from the sun. Now I seem to be always a hour behind!!

OK, I now have 2 compasses that I am trying out in a rural area that I am quite familiar with (no high power lines, or personal cell phones nearby, etc.) & they are both pointing in the same direction, so I am assuming that they are both working correctly. I also got a map of the area & lined it up with the street that I'm on & drew a line through the map representing true north. Then I placed the compass on the map & it is NOT pointing to true north (or anywhere near it) -- it is pointing NORTHEAST, or 45 DEGREES OFF of where it should be pointing. So, ACCORDING TO THE COMPASS, the sun IS setting in the west, but ACCORDING TO THE MAP the sun is setting in the northwest. I know this area quite well & I have NEVER seen the sun set in the northwest!

The compass will point to magnetic north - which is as far as i know still shifting southwards. This may help you deytermine what north you are observing:
From OS
Calculating Magnetic Variation
Example - Penzance
The Magnetic North to Grid North is given as 3 deg. 30' W in 1991 decreasing by about 30' in three years. Therefore the difference is 3 deg. 00' in 1994.

The difference between True North and Grid North at the sheet corners are given and, by interpolation, the difference at Penzance, (approximately central to the map) is 2 deg. 40' E.

Therefore the difference between Magnetic North and True North is 3 deg. 00' plus 2 deg. 40' equals 5 deg. 40' in 1994.

New Magnet in Town

On May 21, 2009 Just checked the compass I have glued down to a shelf and found it has moved 4 degrees since my last post.

Thank you! I find it interesting that people on the west coast (of the U.S.) are noticing the compass swinging east of north & people on the east coast are noticing the compass swinging west of north, not to mention the degrees of change are quite large. Sounds like the magnetic pole is moving down the center of the U.S.? How strange.

On March 7, 2009 I have not reported the 2 compass readings taken here in Bethlehem, PA lately since they have been at about 60 degrees West of North. But it has been several weeks that the compasses went to 78 degrees West of North and continues to hold steady.

I also commented before on this being a very unusual year for buttercups and cotton-grass, the change has to me, been unbelievable.
I have never seen so many young birds, and sadly dead runt chicks everywhere.

What is it with this young birds ? how does that relate to this ?

[edit on 5-7-2009 by ChemBreather]

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 01:18 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Related to one another?

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 01:38 PM
link   
This site has alot of topics that could be of intrest..

2012 pole shift witness

Pole Shift Warning Signs, Geologic & Weather Indicators
2012 Pole Shift, Earth Changes, Freak Weather, Early Warning Signs, Indicators:

Expect the unexpected, increasingly, as the pole shift approaches.
Watch for an increase in:

Sudden large rogue waves in new places
Sudden Hurricanes in unusual places
Sudden tornadoes out of season
Extremes in drought, heavy rains, out of season snows, flooding, severe storms
Mysterious Booms, methane flashes, odd underground whomping sounds
Disrupted cell phone, television and radio signals
Unusual animal behavior, disrupted species migration patterns
Unusual increases in violent behavior in human beings
Increasingly severe earthquakes
Rising Sea Levels

(See also the ten year chart from NASA)
Storm surge on coastlines with no storm apparent
Increases in Freak Storms, Out of Season Weather.

posted on Jul, 5 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I don't know about the compass thing. However plant growth? It's THROUGH THE ROOF! I cannot believe the swelling going on in my garden! Lots of fresh new limbs and holy shiz, they are growing FAST.

Definitely the GREATEST growing season I've ever witnessed.

top topics

join