It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why America ISN'T a Christian Nation

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2004 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Well said. The values are true, honest, and universal. I doubt that Christianity will fade away any more than any of the world religions. Spirituality of any kind is a necesary component of humanity. Everyone has some kind of relationship with a "higher" power, even if that relation is of skeptisism or denial.

And what are you talking about. I dont see the values being practiced the way you do. Honesty, sheeit. Christians are no more honest or dishonest than anybody else.
Christianity will fade and is like other religions.
What is this relationship with a higher power you guys are always talking about.
I am the higher power, you could be too if you wanted. Stop worshiping, you are capable. Maybe? Maybe not?
Who cares.

P.S. you said "i doubt christianity will fade". Doubt?,,,, Are you losing your faith?

posted on May, 4 2004 @ 10:21 PM
link   
The Ten Commandments are pretty good rules to live by....BUT with some exceptions.....adjusting for our conditions today.
However, the founders of our country did NOT want to make any religion a "state religion". They had already experienced that in England, with the Church of England. They didn't like it.
They wanted a country FREE of any state religion, and thought that people could pratice whatever they pleased.
Our presidents have always SAID THEY were Christian. Well, they SAID it, but did they teally ACT like it? And how could some belong to Skull and Bones and still be "Christian?
No, our constitution was written with the idea that people could worship as they please....or not worship if they so desired.
We were never truly a "Christian" nation.

posted on May, 4 2004 @ 10:35 PM
link   
The way i see it is christianity is like some big club. All the christians are glad to see other members of the club and not glad to see non-members.
I contract work in southern california. I would love to put some silly stickers or something on my work truck but it would scare off potential customers.
People out here are not overly proud to display their christianity. You know, ridicule and people like me and all that. There are a lot of us.
There is alot of money to be made off christians though,but i just couldnt put a jesus logo on my card or something. That would be unfair and taking advantage of the un-fortunate.
I may be mean but im not an evangelist.

posted on May, 4 2004 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Heres a little fantastic christian behavior. Today as a matter of fact.

Christians massacre hundreds of Muslims

Reuters
Wednesday, May 5, 2004

YELWA, NigeriaHundreds of Muslims were killed by Christian militiamen in the latest outbreak of ethnic fighting, a senior police officer said Tuesday.
.Mutilated and charred bodies still remained in the main street of Yelwa, a remote market town in central Nigeria. The police had previously reported 67 bodies recovered from the massacre, which occurred on Sunday and Monday. Thousands of Muslims lined the roadside chanting religious slogans and vowing revenge, a witness said. The conflict is rooted in competing claims between the Christian Taroks and Muslim Fulanis over the fertile farmland of central Nigeria, Africa's most populous nation.

See more of the world that matters - click here for home delivery of the International Herald Tribune.
< < Back to Start of Article
YELWA, Nigeria Hundreds of Muslims were killed by Christian militiamen in the latest outbreak of ethnic fighting, a senior police officer said Tuesday.
Mutilated and charred bodies still remained in the main street of Yelwa, a remote market town in central Nigeria. The police had previously reported 67 bodies recovered from the massacre, which occurred on Sunday and Monday. Thousands of Muslims lined the roadside chanting religious slogans and vowing revenge, a witness said. The conflict is rooted in competing claims between the Christian Taroks and Muslim Fulanis over the fertile farmland of central Nigeria, Africa's most populous nation.
YELWA, Nigeria Hundreds of Muslims were killed by Christian militiamen in the latest outbreak of ethnic fighting, a senior police officer said Tuesday.
Mutilated and charred bodies still remained in the main street of Yelwa, a remote market town in central Nigeria. The police had previously reported 67 bodies recovered from the massacre, which occurred on Sunday and Monday. Thousands of Muslims lined the roadside chanting religious slogans and vowing revenge, a witness said. The conflict is rooted in competing claims between the Christian Taroks and Muslim Fulanis over the fertile farmland of central Nigeria, Africa's most populous nation.

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Ashley, you like to point out minorities in my faith, don't you? Your mention of some radical group of militant Christians from Africa (a very violent continent) does nothing to shake my faith or prove that Christianity is bad or anything. Do you hate all Muslims? Is Islam a bad religion? Just because some militant Muslims decided to destroy the WTC?

Its true, religion is dying. The amount of time spent worshiping is considerably less than it used to be. Take 1000 years ago for instance, what i understand is that religion was a major force in these peoples lives. Take 500 years ago, even less. Take 50 years ago, still around and quite predominant but even less. Take now, sundays only and sometimes not even that.

Well... Perhaps people aren't going to Church as much anymore, but that doesn't prove that people aren't practicing their faith anymore. I hardly go to Church, but I'm very religious. You don't need to go to a building to be religious and practice your religion.

People are to busy nowadays and with that comes education. With education comes knowledge. With knowledge becomes enlightenment and with more enlightenment there is less need for religion. Im sorry but its that simple.

Why does being educated have to do with less need for religion? I'm very educated. I'm going into my third year of college, at quite a reputable school in my area (Assumption College, Worcester, MA), and I take my studies very seriously. I'm majoring in Political Science, and I plan to become a professor. I'm not sure why you think religious people can't be educated people. I'm very offended by that, and I'm sure many other people would be too.

Just because I believe in God does not make me ignorant or stupid. If you assume that I'm a fundie Christian who takes everything the Bible says to be truth, you're wrong. I believe in the teachings of Jesus Christ, but I don't believe that God literally created clay humans and breathed life into them. I choose to believe in something higher than myself, I'm not sure why that automatically makes me stupid, uneducated, and ignorant.

What is your blind self talking about morals and values for? Are cuss words christian?

Umm... I'm not blind to anything. Please, tell me what I'm blind to. I really want to know. Honestly, tell me. And I have no idea what you're talking about with the "are cuss words christian" bit.

Armaggedon may be coming, but only for you. Maybe that is what the lunatic on the corner means whwn he says the 'end is near'.
The end of religion. If that is the case,'bring it on' as another fantastic christian once said.

Who are you to say Armageddon isn't coming? A lot of people say the end of the world is going to come with the NWO, that's basically the same idea except the leader of the NWO I expect is the antichrist. Maybe the lunatic on the corner is talking about the Illuminati coming when he talks of a near end. I really don't see your point.

That reminds me. Is letting innocents be killed, invading other countries, being an alcoholic, lying, fathering disrespectful over-indulgent children, being greedy, being un-educated and a failure a modern christian? It sure doesnt look like the one you guys are always talking about.
Nevermind, maybe things are just getting more desperate on the way out. You"ll take anyone nowadays.

What are you talking about here? Are you stereotyping a modern Christian? If you are, you're doing a horribly bad job of it. If you're describing President Bush, which you might be, you're not really getting anywhere. He's not a real Christian by any means. He pretends to be so he can further his own agenda. He's not the epitome of a Christian at all.

And for the record, I don't like Bush. But I'm Christian. Wow... Go figure... A Christian with an open mind who goes against his president who is supposedly of the same faith... That's a first apparently, huh?

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Isn't it interesting that this thread has turned into a discussion about whether Christians are smart, whether Christianity is good for the country, whether living a Christian lifestyle is even possible, etc. I think that this it whole point of the original post: agitate and cause a division over Christianity, not actually about whether the US laws are based on the 10 commandments.

I think it would be better to defeat the original argument and leave it. Other discussions should go on another thread. I am not saying this because I think threads should always stay on the original topic, but in order to defeat this threads original point it is important that we don't confuse the issue.

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I actually did start another thread called Christians=Uneducated? in the below top secret forum.

For the record, America was founded on Christian principles. Even if you don't like the 10 Commandments, the things they uphold are things that any reasonable person would live by. So if you don't like the idea that we're founded on Christian principles, just say we're founded on principles of reason that can also be found in Christianity.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join