It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We are living in exponential times

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+41 more 
posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 05:21 AM
link   
I just found this video and it shows some very interesting statistics. It is worth a watch and certainly makes you think.... well, it made me think at least.

I hope someone else enjoys it as well.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 05:34 AM
link   
S&F

Very cool video. The world is changing very quickly. It will be amazing to see these things happen during the course of our lifetimes.

Of course, this video assumes a steady exponential growth, that most likely won't be the case.

Good find.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 05:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

Thanks for sharing. S&F. Very interesting.

Addressing some of the tid bits:

A lot of those little facts help to confirm America's growing stupidity.

I joined sites like MySpace five years ago and it's insane how quickly those sites have grown. Now it isn't just about humans interacting through online communities. Everything focuses on pimping out all forms of media, movies, music and everything in between.

It's scary how populated the earth is becoming, it seems like it will be harder and harder for young people to get jobs in near future, even those with degrees.

"Predictions are that by 2049 a $1000 computer will exceed computational capabilities of the entire human species". Wow, there are so many pros and cons to this. I'm amazed, excited, and horrified.

I think it all means that human beings are either approaching the end or the beginning of an age that will sore us into times not even the best sci-fi enthusiast could have imagined.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 07:00 AM
link   
This reminds me of the thread that Tentackles started about things speeding up. It is certain that we are headed to new and never before thought of times. I have always said this is an exciting time to be alive, and this just proves it. Nice find.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Great Video find goes right along with that I have been thinking for the last 5 months.

S&F

Here's the 2.0 version. It has a little more information in it, although outdated now its worth it.

[edit on 6/10/2009 by Tentickles]

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by redhead57

I agree with Tentickles about how things are speeding up. To me it falls in line with Terrance McKenna's timewave zero / novelty theory. If TM is correct, it should be a bumpy ride between now and 2012.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 07:25 AM
link   

...and once you learn about TimeWave Zero, all of this really hits home!

anyone who's not familiar with TW-Z would do well to perform a Search NOW!

EDIT:
you beat me to it, Karl

[edit on 10-6-2009 by adrenochrome]

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 07:38 AM
link   
That video was astounding... Sent shivers down my spine...

What got me is that people are being trained for jobs that don't yet exist, and to solve problems that we don't even know to be problems. Jesus...

We are definitely headed towards a new age, or likely a new level of consciousness.

A+ find there!

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by adrenochrome

Here is part 1 of a 3 part video of Terence McKenna discussing the timewave zero if anyone is curious.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Loved the video hated the pictures. lol

Good watch

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Thank you for this. That was an amazing display of how far we have come in such a short amount of time (or as someone like me would say.. how far we have fallen in such a short amount of time)..

again, thanks. S&F for you and..

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 09:22 AM
link   
All this will culminate in 2012 when something massive occur, and the world will be nothing like today.

[edit on 10/6/2009 by strNick]

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   
It really does seem as if things are speeding up, faster and faster, until one day it will come to a head, and then, who knows what? Could that be the Zero people are talking about, the whole 2012 shebang? If there will be a computer which has processing power greater than the population of Earth (a projected 8 billion or so), what does the future hold for mankind?
Could we be governed by computers - cold logic, infallible against the baser human desires that todays politicians are suceptible to? Or will everything just stop... and we all realise that we are just one consciousness?

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Star & Flag!!! One day we are going to wake up on a planet that was once ours, but was lost yesterday, and when you ask how this could have happend no one will know!!!

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I've seen this video a dozen times, it always puts things in perspective and makes me wonder about the future. Will we be a super power? Probably not...Will we be the richest and greatest nation? Probably not there either. What will technology be like? I think we will take multi-tasking to a whole new level in the future, and people will be too focused on work, their gadgets, and what new reality show is on tv to take notice of what their government is doing to them...kinda like now

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I loved that video

It sent chills through my entire body and reaffirmed my view that the human race will self-implode within our life time.

Somethings gotta' give

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 01:27 PM
link   
To me, this seems like the most crucial evidence towards the idea of a technological singularity.

What will basically happen in my opinion, is that once a computer fitted with human intelligence arises, it will have the ability to completey recreate itself in every instance to its best computational ability. It's ability to compute will only increase exponentially from there, and it would more than likely have the ability to grow in a way that will allow it to saturate the entire planet in intelligent information. We will become part of this technological conciousness, it will propel are ability to perceive think and reason to heights not even possible within our current scope of comprehension.

There are two scenarios.

1. We will become soul-dead bio-robotic organisms that seek to do nothing but the planet to extreme technological efficiecy, quite possibly eliminating everything that we used to experience as "human."

2. We will become one giant super-god mind with the ability to entertwine the earths noosphere with its biosphere, turning the earth into a super utopia with technology such as virtual reality and nano-technological reconfiguration that would allow us to live anything and everything in any moment possible. Creating a biosphere that is in itself a techno-bio-singularity.

The Earth as we know it, would become one.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I have to say that watching that video reminded me of the increase in novelty when looking at McKenna's Time Wave chart.

Wow.

I am listening to Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon on Klipsch rf7 ( i know..but i am a live sound guy)..Krell Amp and Krell Showcase pre talking about McKenna, drinking Red Wine, and speaking about exponential reproduction of ideas......on ATS..does not get any better does it?

and we wonder about H +

Really...as computers progress we will incorporate them in a biological manner.....we will evolve with machines.

Peace
WR

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   
That was fascinating, exciting, scary, mind blowing & a whole bunch of stuff all at the same time.

My mind is boggled - thanks OP.

It really highlights the feeling of acceleration in modern life Tentikles refers to & fits right in with TW-0 as already mentioned.
Certainly puts a lot into perspective.

I can feel myself trying to keep up with it all (& failing): I sit with my laptop trawling the internet for breaking news whilst in front of the TV with the news on, with my mobile & landline phones both within reach, sometimes up til late at night before I force myself to switch it all off & go to bed. Even then I sometimes put the radio on to listen to more news as I try to fall asleep - honestly - what the hell am I tring to do? I can't fit all the new info in, there just isn't enough time to absorb it all...

Then I tend to overload & short circuit, switch everything off & step outside & go find a really big hill to climb up & just look at the big view.

I think I need to learn to moderate the pace of it all in my own life a bit more than I do, even things out a bit.

This has all happenened so recently only over the last few years, it's really accelerating at a phenomenal rate.

2 things I would like to happen amongst all of this:
1) for things to even out a bit better than they currently are & for less distance between the extremes of rich/poor, starving/overfed - just so some of the countries in the world get the chance to catch up a bit & for the greedy nations to get a bit more compassionate towards the poorer countries.
2) to not lose sight of the simpler things in life (like a mountain/ocean view or a decent sunset) amongst this technological-turbo-powered-hyper-jet-ride into the future.

Don't know where it's all going but I have a feeling that at this rate it won't take long to get there.

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   
I did not read the thread until now and I see that other s think the same way concerning McKenna.

Crazy!

Makes one ask...what will happen at that point in time?

Nothing?

No.

Something in line with exponential theory and the bell curve.

If you study in leading organization/bio or socio...it will grow to an exttent and then die off.

So does that mean we will have an complete sociological change??

Or Psychological change?

As awareness with tecj increases what then?

Will the new Twiiter be instant tranfer of thought/consciousness around the globe?

Who controls the ideas or the pipeline then?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join