It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homeland Security To Quarantine Swine Flu Carriers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Homeland Security To Quarantine Swine Flu Carriers
April 29, 2009 - 7:46am
www.antemedius.com...

Homeland Security is preparing to quarantine people with confirmed swine flu infections, according to a newly released memo obtained by CBS News.

[The memo] says: "The Department of Justice has established legal federal authorities pertaining to the implementation of a quarantine and enforcement. Under approval from HHS, the Surgeon General has the authority to issue quarantines."

Federal quarantine authority is limited to diseases listed in presidential executive orders; President Bush added "novel" forms of influenza with the potential to create pandemics in Executive Order 13375. Anyone violating a quarantine order can be punished by a $250,000 fine and a one-year prison term.

In 2005, the Bush administration prepared guidelines similar to what's currently being circulated by DHS.

In the National Strategy for Pandemic Influenza (PDF link), it outlined "public health guidance" that includes barring people from social gatherings and travel.

As of this writing, there are no confirmed deaths linked directly to swine flu, though U.S. officials believe it only a matter of time.

In the mean-time, this is not something to get panicked over. Even the Centers for Disease Control has stopped short of issuing travel restrictions and said that border closures -- the likes of which were enforced during the SARS outbreak -- are not necessary.

Finally, and this one's a little dose of reality, over 13,000 Americans have died just this year from the "regular" flu and complications thereof.

(Credit to kenton1234)

I didn't see this anywhere and thought

Anyone think this is legit?

If so...man o man...what a set-up!!!

[edit on 5/28/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Hahaha now all the attention seeking, pathetic, goof's who were just dying to get the swine flu so they could come online and talk about how unlucky and how much their life sucks are gonna be really upset when the men in yellow suits rush in.

On a more serious note, I guess I am the only one who thinks it's silly to quarantine people for a flu that has killed not even a fraction of the people that are killed yearly by the common flu in the US alone.

I am glad from the very start of this whole public charade I stood my ground and laughed at all you idiots.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Here's the referring Article from CBS...

DHS Sets Guidelines For Possible Swine Flu Quarantines
April 28, 2009 5:12 PM
www.cbsnews.com...

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security has sent a memo to some health care providers noting procedures to be followed if the swine flu outbreak eventually makes quarantines necessary.

DHS Assistant Secretary Bridger McGaw circulated the swine flu memo, which was obtained by CBSNews.com, on Monday night. It says: "The Department of Justice has established legal federal authorities pertaining to the implementation of a quarantine and enforcement. Under approval from HHS, the Surgeon General has the authority to issue quarantines."

McGaw appears to have been referring to the section of federal law that allows the Surgeon General to detain and quarantine Americans "reasonably believed to be infected" with a communicable disease. A Centers for Disease Control official said on Tuesday that swine flu deaths in the U.S. are likely.

Federal quarantine authority is limited to diseases listed in presidential executive orders; President Bush added "novel" forms of influenza with the potential to create pandemics in Executive Order 13375. Anyone violating a quarantine order can be punished by a $250,000 fine and a one-year prison term.

A Homeland Security spokesman on Tuesday did not have an immediate response to followup questions about the memo, which said "DHS is consulting closely with the CDC to determine appropriate public health measures."
More at Link...

(per JBA2848)

[edit on 5/28/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by king9072

Well there is a real conspiracy happening with this flu...like it or not. And it is not a laughing matter....even though the typical seasonal flu takes out thousands every year. The reason this flu is such a serious matter goes far beyond the surface. It may not have the killing power just yet, and that is not what it was created for. It was put in play for other reasons....

The most serious issues are the fact that the governments can and will use it to gain more power and control...and vaccinate.

Beyond huge....it is unprecedented.

S&F!

posted on May, 29 2009 @ 10:24 PM
link   
This is mirroring exactly the 1918 epidemic, politically. Wilson censored the media; people were forcedinto quarantine and imprisoned if they deferred. The Constitution can be overruled by "special circumstances" via Executive Order (Bush and Clinton were both fans of using EOs to drive their agendas, as their Congressess were not cooperative to their goals in many instances).

This places us in a difficult position, however- those of us who need to go to the doctor for flu need medical care- but risk quarantine of a household, for example, beyond a reasonable period of viral shedding, infectious capabilities, etc.- it also endangers people with chronic needs who need to see their doctors for other conditions- we're damned if we seek help and damned if we don't.

I fully support quarantine on a case-by case basis if required to protect the public, but it must be reconciled with our rights- like refusing the vaccine, for example- and that's not going to happen if this goes down as HX reported.

Look at what Mass did in their legislature- they've voted to essentially suspend all rights of Commonwealth citizens in the event of an epidemic there. Other states are following suit- and it's not long until the Fed does so, as well.

Thank you for the links and the posts, HX. forwarned is forarmed...

posted on Jun, 10 2009 @ 01:57 AM
link   

CDC: Quarantine and Migration Health: Legal Authorities for Isolation Quarantine
www.cdc.gov...

Federal law

The federal government derives its authority for isolation and quarantine from the Commerce Clause of the U.S. Constitution. Under section 361 of the Public Health Service Act (42 U.S. Code § 264), the U.S. Secretary of Health and Human Services is authorized to take measures to prevent the entry and spread of communicable diseases from foreign countries into the United States and between states. The authority for carrying out these functions on a daily basis has been delegated to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

By Executive Order of the President, federal isolation and quarantine are authorized for these communicable diseases:
• Cholera
• Diphtheria
• Infectious tuberculosis
• Plague
• Smallpox
• Yellow fever
• Viral hemorrhagic fevers
• SARS
• Flu that can cause a pandemic The President can revise this list by Executive Order.

CDC’s role

Under 42 Code of Federal Regulations parts 70 and 71, CDC is authorized to detain, medically examine, and release persons arriving into the United States and traveling between states who are suspected of carrying these communicable diseases. As part of its federal authority, CDC routinely monitors persons arriving at U.S. land border crossings and passengers and crew arriving at U.S. ports of entry for signs or symptoms of communicable diseases. When alerted about an ill passenger or crew member by the pilot of a plane or captain of a ship, CDC may detain passengers and crew as necessary to investigate whether the cause of the illness on board is a communicable disease.

Enforcement

If a quarantinable disease is suspected or identified, CDC may issue a federal isolation or quarantine order. Public health authorities at the federal, state, local, and tribal levels may sometimes seek help from police or other law enforcement officers to enforce a public health order. U.S. Customs and Border Protection and U.S. Coast Guard officers are authorized to help enforce federal quarantine orders. Breaking a federal quarantine order is punishable by fines and imprisonment. Federal law allows the conditional release of persons from quarantine if they comply with medical monitoring and surveillance.

Federal quarantine rarely used

Large-scale isolation and quarantine was last enforced during the influenza (“Spanish Flu”) pandemic in 1918–1919. In recent history, only a few public health events have prompted federal isolation or quarantine orders:

• In 1963, a passenger arriving into the United States was placed under a federal quarantine order as a suspected case of smallpox.

• In 2007, a traveler with drug-resistant TB was placed in isolation.

During the 2003 outbreak of SARS, CDC did not issue isolation or quarantine orders. However, CDC did conduct active surveillance, visual screening of passengers, and handed out Travel Health Alert Notices.

[edit on 6/10/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Hx3_1963

The day has come...06/11/2009...
WHO officially announces it will raise the level to 6 today!

Many health experts say WHO's pandemic declaration could have come weeks earlier but the agency became bogged down by politics. In May, several countries urged WHO not to declare a pandemic, fearing it would cause social and economic turmoil.

"This is WHO finally catching up with the facts,

finance.yahoo.com...

The plot thickens!

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Wow... First time I read this thread.... Sound way too close to my summer camp story. I was only fooling around but it appears their was truth in it not even I knew about... shoot... no I'm bugged by my own story!

top topics

join