It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Heavy shelling reported in Fallujah

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Explosions shook Fallujah after dark Tuesday as new fighting erupted, and a U.S. AC-130 gunship hammered targets in the northern part of Fallujah, the area where a battle broke out the night before in the Jolan neighborhood. Blasts and gunfire went on steadily for more than half an hour in sustained fighting, apparently in the northern Jolan district, a poor neighborhood where Sunni insurgents are concentrated.
The fighting broke out as a two-day extension to a cease-fire came to end.

Source: Myway News

Flames could be seen rising from buildings, and mosque loudspeakers in other parts of the city called on firefighters to mobilize.

Heavy fire from a U.S. aerial gunship lit up the night sky late Tuesday in Fallujah, where U.S. Marines have engaged in a standoff with Iraqi insurgents. Heavy fighting rocked Fallujah on Monday, leaving one coalition soldier and eight Iraqi fighters dead after a three-hour firefight between insurgents and U.S. Marines.

Related Stories
U.S. Toughens Stance In Iraq. Insurgents Take Heavy Losses
Syrian capital 'rocked by blasts'

USAF factsheet on the AC-130 Gunship

[Edited on 27-4-2004 by Zion Mainframe]

[Edited on 4-28-2004 by Valhall]

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Just in they where going after two main points. Ammo dumps.

Watching it looks ground Zero. Looks worse than what the war every looked like.

www.foxnews.com...

www.signonsandiego.com...

[Edited on 27-4-2004 by SpittinCobra]

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 01:50 PM
link   
What I found remarkable is that there is a single pool reporter, Karl Penhaul, in the area, so all the networks are carrying his crew's news feed and nightvision images. In the background you can hear chanting over loudspeakers as well as US psy-ops messages.
You should have seen me perk up when I caught the word "Spectre" mentioned on the broadcast.

[Edited on 27-4-2004 by Spectre]

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 01:58 PM
link   
www.foxnews.com...

lBAGHDAD, Iraq � A series of explosions lit up the night sky in Fallujah on Tuesday as black smoke rose above the city that has become a central location for anti-American activity in Iraq.

www.cnn.com...

Heavy fire from a U.S. aerial gunship lit up the night sky late Tuesday in Fallujah, where U.S.

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Looks like tanks are involved and Marines firing on the area. This is the area where the Marine was killed yesterday. Al Jazeera is sending out footage but it doesn't show much at this point. With the secondary explosions I saw it could be that it was a ammo or fuel dump. Can't tell from the smoke because it's 11 p.m.

Variable

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I love the night vision on the TV. Rounds are just popping off.

It seems to have died down a bit.

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I guess this means the death toll of Falluja civilians is going over 600. 150 Iraqi civilians for every U.S. civilian killed there and rising. Obviously U.S. civilian lives are worth 200 or hell, possibly upwards of 500 or more (depending on the length of the conflict) Iraqi civilian lives in acts of revenge.

[Edited on 27-4-2004 by heelstone]

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by heelstone
I guess this means the death toll of Falluja civilians is going over 600.

I was watching something yesterday, they where talking about the humv upgrade. They got on to death count, they are not keeping track of civillian dead.

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra
Just in they where going after two main points. Ammo dumps.

Saying the targets were ammo dumps may play well to some. The real targets that need to be hit are those using the ammo.

CNN's running pretty complete coverage now. The flames have died down and it's getting quiet over there.

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by CommonSense
The real targets that need to be hit are those using the ammo.

This is, as your name says, CommonSense.

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 03:31 PM
link   
CNN reported that the attack was led by two AC-130 gunships. Sounds like instant hell to me.

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Each one can shoot up a full 100 yards of area at a time.
That is ugly. I bet the people who stayed home are scared to death.

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Hopefully it's only the insurgents or insurgents in training that were left there. I really do believe that many (maybe even most) Iraqis are glad we're there. But that might not be a popular position for an Iraqi to advance against a lunatic with an RPG.

[Edited on 27-4-2004 by CommonSense]

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Why did we stop. the cease fire thing was a bad joke. we got a ggod start we should finish it while were in. They have had plenty of time and warning to get the civilians out. it's time to kick a$$. if they want to blame the civilian dead on someone why not the anti-coalition members. if they strike first take off the gloves

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 04:53 PM
link   

I guess this means the death toll of Falluja civilians is going over 600. 150 Iraqi civilians for every U.S. civilian killed there and rising. Obviously U.S. civilian lives are worth 200 or hell, possibly upwards of 500 or more (depending on the length of the conflict) Iraqi civilian lives in acts of revenge.

Every time I come to this website, my faith in the human ability for reason drops ever so farther.

That's why I keep coming back

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I think this was the last "warning" to these bozos. (How do you translate bozos in French? - Ooops, that's another thread). I believe our patience is gone. I believe our hope in negotiation is gone. Not to be crass, but - LET'S ROLL!

[Edited on 27-4-2004 by CommonSense]

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 05:36 PM
link   
these guys have killed to many coalitiation troops for too long
its time to act
we tried peace on thier terms and they threw it back into our face with bullets
i say we do what we should have done the first time smash thier regime once and for all!

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp
these guys have killed to many coalitiation troops for too long
its time to act
we tried peace on thier terms and they threw it back into our face with bullets
i say we do what we should have done the first time smash thier regime once and for all!

You're absolutely right! It's time - let's get it done!

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Esoterica

Every time I come to this website, my faith in the human ability for reason drops ever so farther.

That's why I keep coming back
Good to read that my comments keep you here. Though I will need more evidence to support your opinion that my ability to reason is flawed. Not that I'm asking for you to do as such, but I felt it necessary to defend myself through this reply.

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Good to read that my comments keep you here. Though I will need more evidence to support your opinion that my ability to reason is flawed. Not that I'm asking for you to do as such, but I felt it necessary to defend myself through this reply.
And I find it necessary to defend those who aren't here to do it themselves. And your assertation that our boys are purposely killing Iraqi civilians as acts of revenge required a response.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join